Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    last edited

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean by looks like? I just assumed it looked similar to your PS, written in essay form. Is it not up to him/her to decide how they want to write it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by python38)
    So there's no set way teachers generally write references?
    Unsurprisingly I never got to see mine. I'm sure many schools do keep a set layout for their students to keep it easier to write. I think in my school references were written by the careers department some of which probably didn't teach many pupils for long, so I would assume the information added was from the schools record/reports.

ReputationRep:
    after reading my reference i can only assume that each of my subject teachers wrote a paragraph about me which was given it to my form tutor who then summarised it into a personal statement type thing.

ReputationRep:
    I know at my school this is how they do it:

Summer term y12 each subject teacher writes about my performance in their class, things I have done, etc. (I have seen this)

Start of y13: tutor puts all of these subject references together, adds his take and finishes it off

ReputationRep:
    Mine ws probably the worst reference ever written, it was about 6-7 lines saying iim a very good boy :indiff:

ReputationRep:
    People got to see theirs?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by impervious)
    People got to see theirs?
    My tutor offered to let me read mine but I never got the chance to actually read it. Is there anyway to view it via UCAS now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heir-Head)
    My tutor offered to let me read mine but I never got the chance to actually read it. Is there anyway to view it via UCAS now?
    I am pretty sure your not meant to see it.

ReputationRep:
    My reference when I applied first time around was really awful, just impersonal and overall rubbish. To my teacher's defence, he had never written a reference before because we don't usually need one in Germany. My second reference was much better, it was mainly about my achievements in certain subjects (Physics mostly) and my overall performance in school (including awards etc). Then about my role in the class he was teaching and about academic potential, I suppose. It was uber-positive though, it was almost embarrassing

Hope this helps somewhat. Neither of my referees had ever written one before and I've never seen any other references to compare.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fox_amro)
    Mine ws probably the worst reference ever written, it was about 6-7 lines saying iim a very good boy :indiff:
    yeh this is what I have heard. If you are not very good then they wont write anything bad, they just wont write very much and they will make it very generic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rr3112)
    after reading my reference i can only assume that each of my subject teachers wrote a paragraph about me which was given it to my form tutor who then summarised it into a personal statement type thing.
    yep thats what my school did, i remember having to heckle my psychology teacher for weeks to get him to write his bit so my application could be sent off...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wootwootwoot)
    yeh this is what I have heard. If you are not very good then they wont write anything bad, they just wont write very much and they will make it very generic
    Its not that its just that i was the first student in my school to apply to universities in the uk and my teacher had no idea what to write.
    I applied to Cambridge with that ****** reference and i got rejected but i got in imperial :king1:

ReputationRep:
    well my reference was a paragraph from each of my teachers - basically the same thing - good grasp of the subject, passion for the subject and enthusiasm etc. If i got very high marks in a particular module/excelled at a particular topic they mentioned it.

Then the last paragraph was basically my head of sixth saying what type of person i was and what i have done for the school etc.

Do you have a tutor or anything or have you self taught a levels?

ReputationRep:
    Its not that its just that i was the first student in my school to apply to universities in the uk and my teacher had no idea what to write.
    I applied to Cambridge with that ****** reference and i got rejected but i got in imperial :king1:
    congrats imperials a great university to get into.
    But my post still applies for people who are genuine failures

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, that's the problem if you apply from outside the UK. Your teachers just have no idea how to write a reference, what to include etc.

ReputationRep:
    At our 6th form, our teachers wrote a reference for us, based on specific points, and then our head of 6th form read all of those and wrote the final one, combining points from different ones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by impervious)
    I am pretty sure your not meant to see it.
    You can...

I never read mine in the end but she said if she was going to include something kind of personal she'd let me read it to make sure I agreed. In the end I didn't get a chance to read it (time wise) and I don't think she included that thing

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.