Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Because it actually flatters curves, i.e emphasises the waist then puffs out over hips?

Wtf? What's the problem? I wear those dresses because they FLATTER my waist/hip ratio, not hide it...?

ReputationRep:
    clearly we all like to look shapeless :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    cos i have big boobs and a small waist so if i dont pull it in at my waist i look huge!

ReputationRep:
    I don't think the example is actually the type of dress I was thinking of. The girl in the example looks really nice

ReputationRep:
    I thought belts under boobs were meant to emphasise the waist and make you look hourglass

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nambi)
    I thought belts under boobs were meant to emphasise the waist and make you look hourglass
    I think you are almost there but it is definitely more the belt trend that does that (where they have it just under the ribs so it accentuates both the breasts and the hips) rather than the dresses in question (as you say).

But I do agree the girl in the photo does look a bit shapeless. I think the dress suits some people and not others but due to the unfortunate nature of fashion (men and women); one person wears it and looks lovely, several others go "wow that's lovely/really fashionable" and dresses similarly even if it does not suit their figure.

I think it's all horses for courses as different things suit different people.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, I really like those dresses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GildedButterfly)
    because there fashionable, and flatter most body shapes. I thought people loved that style...
    Most people DO love that style.. Some people are just being picky :rolleyes: lol

ReputationRep:
    Not a fan to be honest, but the way you dress wouldn't put me off, I mean, I don't like the style that much, but it's not hideous!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flying Cookie)
    Why the heck do you assume girls wear things to satisfy your standards?

How ridiculous.
    It's safe to say that most people choose their clothes in accordance to society's standards, not their own. We're inclined to like that which is fashionable, so in most instances both will be the same, but actually you only like it because it is currently 'in'.

ReputationRep:
    I think it looks nice, but I always put belts round my dresses, because I have a sort of hourglass figure so I want to show it off. I don't think that picture looks maternity at all. Plus, if you wear really short dresses, and you've got nice legs, it looks fine. If you wear a fitted dress that is really short, you can end up looking a bit tarty, like you're showing too much.

ReputationRep:
    I think on the vast majority of girls they're more flattering than fitted dresses. Fitted dresses emphasise all curves good and bad.

I'm sure you probably also complain when you see larger girls wearing tight dresses.

Can't have it both ways

ReputationRep:
    ouch as if that dress was £370!

ReputationRep:
    They're nice looking dresses and they hide bits and bobs that we don't want seen

ReputationRep:
    I agree it isn't always flattering, but the picture you posted is actually nice and I have seen picture go for that look and end up not complimenting their figures. But ah well, let them dress the way they want please.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whiplash)
    Those dresses that are "fitted" under the boobs and then flow all the way straight down so it looks like you only have boobs and it's straight down from there. Often you get these with belts so the belts are tightened just under the boobs. As a guy the most attractive feminine thing about a girl is the curves around her hips.

Yes it kind of does emphasise the boobs but it looks like:

a) you're a man with boobs and a feminine face.
    b) piles on at least 2 dress sizes - do you not realize how HUGE it makes you look? It's like a wedding dress shifted up with all that space flowing under it.

I'm not even joking. I normally love how girls dress and am quite the ASOS fan myself, but seriously, stay away unless you're a size 6 trying to look a little more full.

Doesn't anyone agree?

ps: don't even know what they're called so can't post any pics but pls feel free to add some.

edit: it's called a ditsy (I think?)

edit case in point:

really gorgeous girl, but completely proves my point. It's like a pretty maternity overall. :p:

http://www.asos.com/Alice-Olivia/Ali...ize=20&sort=-1
    omygosh. i never thought of these dresses like that, all i thought was it makes my hips and thighs disappear...
    thank you for bringing this to my attention!!! u should work in fashion haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flying Cookie)
    Why the heck do you assume girls wear things to satisfy your standards?

How ridiculous.
    Exactly!

I love these dresses because not everyone has the confidence to go out dressed in tiny shorts or a body-con dress that shoes off literally everything. Some girls like to be able to relax when they're out and about, but still want to look pretty at the same time.

Also, they're paying homage to the 1950s type dresses of yesteryear, which fits in quite well with our vintage obsessed fashion culture (nothing wrong with that, I'm a vintage shopper myself).

Although, I can't really say I like the example you've shown...

ReputationRep:
    i think the picture in the first post is alright
    i was thinking more of this kind of thing
    where it's tight under the boobs and just flows out, making it look like a maternity dress

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachellg)
    i think the picture in the first post is alright
    i was thinking more of this kind of thing
    where it's tight under the boobs and just flows out, making it look like a maternity dress

Those aren't tight under the boobs though.
    I was thinking the OP meant empire line stuff, but apparently not.

ReputationRep:
    OMG this is so true! It's not like girls look horrible in these dresses but it really does look like something for maternity. Thin girls look fatter in these and fatter girls can hide their bellies so you can never know exactly what her shape is.

Hip-age deffo a must in any dress.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.