Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I guess they're good for hiding what the wearer might consider a poor figure - I don't find those dresses that bad, but there are longer versions that I have seen that are very 'maternity' - I wouldn't go near them.

ReputationRep:
    Is this what you mean OP?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachellg)
    i think the picture in the first post is alright
    i was thinking more of this kind of thing
    where it's tight under the boobs and just flows out, making it look like a maternity dress

No if they're straight down it's ok cause the slimness is still emphasised, in fact the first blue pic in ur post looks very sexy, but it's when it angles outwards from the boobs down so it looks like:

###(o) (o)
    ###/### \
    ##/#####\ << "what is going on over here? no curvature? "
    #/#######\

I agree that it lets a girl hide the chub, but I think - and this is going to make me real unpopular - that because you can get away with that, you consider it acceptable and so fashion caters for the larger body rather than forcing you to stay in shape and fit into other comfy simple stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whiplash)
    I agree that it lets a girl hide the chub, but I think - and this is going to make me real unpopular - that because you can get away with that, you consider it acceptable and so fashion caters for the larger body rather than forcing you to stay in shape and fit into other comfy simple stuff.
    Not strictly true - I like those kinds of dress because I have small boyish hips. Why would I want to show them off?

Also, if a girl is very curvy (by this I mean a proper hourglass not fat), then a fitted dress can be seen as overly sexual for everyday wear. In the same way that large chested girls find it harder to wear low cut tops compared to small chested girls.

In most cases you can still get pretty good idea of a girls figure even in those kinds of dresses, without seeing every curve and contour so I don't really see what the problem is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dodo XD)
    Is this what you mean OP?

I think all of these look great

ReputationRep:
    where it's tight under the boobs and just flows out, making it look like a maternity dress

whereas I agree with the original poster that these sort of dresses (if this is indeed what they meant) don't do anything for the figure. Especially the second one....

ReputationRep:
    because people like them?
    guys with the crotch of their jeans dangling around their knees so they walk like a penguin, or their arse and boxers squeezing over their belt, that looks ******* awful but guys still do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fran.ha)
    Because I have huge hips and a huge arse. Therefore it needs to be covered up.

This is true for me also xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by watermelon sugar)
    because people like them?
    guys with the crotch of their jeans dangling around their knees so they walk like a penguin, or their arse and boxers squeezing over their belt, that looks ******* awful but guys still do it.
    Thank you for saying that, I've been thinking that for yearsssss!!!

ReputationRep:
    Because girls aren't necessarily dressing to look sexy, sometimes they just want to look nice/pretty. Showing legs and shoulders all with a tight dress can be a bit OTT.

ReputationRep:
    they're horrible, they make most girls look a lot fatter and take away from any curvy "feminine" shape. barely ever do they make a girl look better.

ReputationRep:
    so if she has love handles you cant see them (h)

ReputationRep:
    I don't know why people wear them either: they just make you look pregnant. If you happen to be, then fair game, but most of the time? lol

Im with the OP on this one - I hate those dresses and also the ghastly floral prints that go with it! Reminds me of my old Uncle's house = flower power orange wallpaper dating back from the 70s. URGH.

EDIT: What I have said I am referring to the picture the OP posted in the first post.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seba_Nile)
    I think all of these look great
    Lol, so do i, i have no idea what the OP is talking about :P

ReputationRep:
    What a stupid question. Er, because they want to? So you like girl's hips - that's just YOUR opinion. Some men are boob men and some girls have curvier boobs than hips so I don't see what your problem is?

ReputationRep:
    Looks sexy in my honest opinion

ReputationRep:

erghh those dresses are awful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flowermaster91)
    erghh those dresses are awful
    Especially the final pic

ReputationRep:
    It's because most girls are conceited and think they can pull it off eventhough they are only for the skinny ones. -____-

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.