Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Venom123)
    Especially the final pic
    yeah, it reminds of a rubbish bag turned into a dress :p:

ReputationRep:
    because girls don't always dress in order to impress men?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GildedButterfly)
    because there fashionable, and flatter most body shapes. I thought people loved that style...
    men don't like it because it 'doesn't show off the curves' they don't realise we don't want to sqeeze ourselves into tight dresses just to satisfy their need to perve.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fran.ha)
    Because I have huge hips and a huge arse. Therefore it needs to be covered up.
    thats :coma:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whiplash)
    Those dresses that are "fitted" under the boobs and then flow all the way straight down so it looks like you only have boobs and it's straight down from there. Often you get these with belts so the belts are tightened just under the boobs. As a guy the most attractive feminine thing about a girl is the curves around her hips.

Yes it kind of does emphasise the boobs but it looks like:

a) you're a man with boobs and a feminine face.
    b) piles on at least 2 dress sizes - do you not realize how HUGE it makes you look? It's like a wedding dress shifted up with all that space flowing under it.

I'm not even joking. I normally love how girls dress and am quite the ASOS fan myself, but seriously, stay away unless you're a size 6 trying to look a little more full.

Doesn't anyone agree?

ps: don't even know what they're called so can't post any pics but pls feel free to add some.

edit: it's called a ditsy (I think?)

edit case in point:

really gorgeous girl, but completely proves my point. It's like a pretty maternity overall. :p:

http://www.asos.com/Alice-Olivia/Ali...ize=20&sort=-1

Complaint quite rightly vindicated. Hideous habit and I would never put on a dress like that, although I am crazy about dresses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clad in armour)
    thats :coma:
    It really isn't. I have a fairly small waist in comparison (and small boobs) so I'm really pear shaped and wearing dresses like this makes my boobs look bigger and covers up everything else. I do prefer to wear dresses that are 'waisted' though rather than empire line.

ReputationRep:
    It really isn't. I have a fairly small waist in comparison (and small boobs) so I'm really pear shaped and wearing dresses like this makes my boobs look bigger and covers up everything else. I do prefer to wear dresses that are 'waisted' though rather than empire line.
    ive been negged for saying this, but skinny is not nice. It really isnt.
    its from a male perspective though, is that you in profile pic?

ReputationRep:
    maternity dresses :thumbsdown:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clad in armour)
    ive been negged for saying this, but skinny is not nice. It really isnt.
    its from a male perspective though, is that you in profile pic?
    Yes I'm in the purple. However in this picture you cannot see my figure! (Thank god)

ReputationRep:
    Yes I'm in the purple. However in this picture you cannot see my figure! (Thank god)
    :rofl:
    come on, you look more than fine
    unless you part fish
    :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    I like that style of dress. It's a nice change from the girls who where clothes just to show themselves off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flying Cookie)
    Why the heck do you assume girls wear things to satisfy your standards?

How ridiculous.
    Shut up, feminist.

ReputationRep:
    I hate empire waists. :yucky:

ReputationRep:
    I agree, OP. It's so hard to find anything nice in the shops these days, there's nothing that fits nicely anymore.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whiplash)
    Those dresses that are "fitted" under the boobs and then flow all the way straight down so it looks like you only have boobs and it's straight down from there. Often you get these with belts so the belts are tightened just under the boobs. As a guy the most attractive feminine thing about a girl is the curves around her hips.

Yes it kind of does emphasise the boobs but it looks like:

a) you're a man with boobs and a feminine face.
    b) piles on at least 2 dress sizes - do you not realize how HUGE it makes you look? It's like a wedding dress shifted up with all that space flowing under it.

I'm not even joking. I normally love how girls dress and am quite the ASOS fan myself, but seriously, stay away unless you're a size 6 trying to look a little more full.

Doesn't anyone agree?

ps: don't even know what they're called so can't post any pics but pls feel free to add some.

edit: it's called a ditsy (I think?)

edit case in point:

really gorgeous girl, but completely proves my point. It's like a pretty maternity overall. :p:

http://www.asos.com/Alice-Olivia/Ali...ize=20&sort=-1
    It sounds like you're assuming that every woman has the same figure. I wear similar dresses because I don't really have a waist line, doesn't matter whether I'm, size 6 or 12 I just don't have one My thinnest point is just below my ribs, so I accentuate this a little bit to make up for not having a waist line! And dresses like this do help.

I don't think they suit everyone, and yeh girls with nice waist lines probably do look better wearing things that show them off but we're not all hourglass shapes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flying Cookie)
    Why the heck do you assume girls wear things to satisfy your standards?

How ridiculous.
    He didn't assume this, he's asking why girls wear them. I agree, they look crap.

ReputationRep:
    because we like them

ReputationRep:
    I think they're extremely unflattering.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AAAirz)
    Shut up, feminist.
    Too late. What frustrates you so much?

ReputationRep:
    Hm..

Well, it depends on the individual dress and how pretty it is. When I go clothes shopping (which barely ever happens), I can honestly say I don't care what is in fashion or what other people might think. When I bought my most recent dresses, I actually thought that people would think I looked ridiculous. I haven't seen anyone else where I live [Croydon] wearing anything like them. They don't show my figure at all, a couple of them hide my chest, waist and hips... but, they're pretty dresses to me so I don't care.
    I've actually got a fairly good figure, I think. 32" chest, 25" waist, 32" hips. But no one ever sees my true waist, I'm not looking to draw attention to myself - just to have something pretty but casual to wear for university.

My theory is that if I don't like wearing it - then I probably won't like the kind of guy it will attract. Some of the highly fitted things I see girls wearing on nights out to attract attention make me feel very sad for them.

Actually, I might as well just show you pictures.
    Sorry for the lame last photo, most of the pictures I have of myself are taken when I'm unaware of the camera. But it shows one of my dresses that hides everything about my figure (except my legs, I am short, so short dresses look best on me).
    Attached Images

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.