Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you worry about losing your looks? Watch

For a guy who's 23, this might sound strange but I sometimes wonder what will happen when I'm older.

I'm single and have no real desire to jump into a serious relationship just for the sake of it (I probably would with the right girl though). I'm not the best seducer and personality-wise I don't think I'm that charming: I seem like the rather serious, decent guy type. This gets me a bit of interest but rarely from the type of girls I like, especially as that's not really who I am. I'm not that serious and definitely not "a decent guy" in the sense of perfect boyfriend material.

Because of all this, most girls I "pull" when out or with friends, are the ones who approach me first. If I make the first move, it rarely works but if I know the girl is interested...it's far easier. I'm not head-turningly good-looking but I'm probably good-looking enough to spark interest without me doing much.

Until now, that's allowed me to have at least some success with women but I fear of the time when I won't look so great. By the time they're 30, a lot of guys start to put on weight, lose hair, just generally don't look so fresh. OK, this sounds like gross exaggeration. Plenty of guys in their 30s look good but I don't think I'm that type.

So I wonder if I should just have loads of fun while I still can or whether I shouldn't really think like that and settle down. Does anyone have similar concerns?

I have similar-ish concerns: I want to be a player forever lol!
    But its totally in your hands. Eat well and keep fit, dont smoke etc

ReputationRep:
    I wish I had good enough looks for this to be a concern :sad:

And look at George Clooney - he's still pretty handsome and he's getting on a bit. I think you turn from good looking to handsome aslong as you look after yourself. Infact, how many middle aged women would throw them self at any member of take that?

ReputationRep:
    Your genes also play a part in how you will age, dont forget that. I dont worry about losing my looks though, and I am in my 30s, as I didnt really have any to begin with. Well none that I could ever see anyway.

ReputationRep:
    What looks? :cry:

ReputationRep:
    As in getting wrinkles?
    I don't know really I'm too young to care at the moment but some beautiful young people stay beautiful, just in a different way. People that try to hang onto their youth by dressing in young styles and wearing makeup styles for teenagers, makes them look silly. By the time I am old I will have bigger worries than my looks.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, yes I am, it keeps me up at night.

ReputationRep:
    I don't mind if I end up with a face like a slapped arse, I just don't want to loose my hair!

ReputationRep:
    I've been lucky and born with not much to lose.

ReputationRep:
    Never got any to start with tbh..

ReputationRep:
    No not at all but that's because I have grade A genetic material and a bit of a Sean Connery thing going on, just keep getting sexier and sexier. Sucks to be anyone else though.

MORE IMPORTANTLY: In your 30s, women won't go for you for your looks but for your wallet, so worry about that rather.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not worried at all. I'm looking forward to growing old gracefully. I think there are some very pretty older women, and though I'll never be as lovely-looking as them when I'm older, I've got no concerns about aging naturally and having my looks reflect my life.

ReputationRep:
    Losing looks would imply that I had them to start with.

But OP, I wouldn't worry. There's plenty of attractive older men about, and not just the movie star ones. If you're worried about getting a beer belly or things, just keep an eye on what you eat and drink.

ReputationRep:
    looks are over-rate it's all about your game.

have you got your game face on?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_ovJS1Em-6d...00/gurning.jpg

ReputationRep:
    Genes. Just look at your dad or the men in your family. Maybe make judgements from that?

ReputationRep:
    Depends if you take care of yourself and whether you have a stressful lifestyle.

You can look damn fine at 30 :-) or....not so hot.

(Original post by riccoles)
    I don't mind if I end up with a face like a slapped arse, I just don't want to loose my hair!
    This.

I've got a Gorbachev birthmark on my head! :sad:

ReputationRep:
    surgery ftw

ReputationRep:
    im confused....i dont have looks

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm 26 now, and I'm more attractive now then I was at 23 or 18. So I'm just hoping it carries on :rolleyes:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 3, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.