Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you worry about losing your looks? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Losing them? I look forward to getting some! I hope I'm one of those people who look more handsome as they age. Looking at my Dad, his older brother, my late Grandpa and other male cousins they all age really well and, very importantly, have their hair. So here's hoping.

(Original post by Cupcakee)
    As in getting wrinkles?
    Not at all, although that is part of it I guess (as in just looking generally older). I think there are far worse for a man as he ages: losing hair (I'm certainly not as thick as top as I was a few years ago), getting a belly and all that. Sure you can keep fit but it's not always that easy: guys are genetically programmed to gain weight in that area and it becomes more and more difficult to maintain a flat stomach with age. You can't always exercise as much as you age either: back problems, knee problems (it's not for no reason that you're past it in many sports past 32).

I had already mentioned that there are guys who look good well into middle age and KNEW that someone would mention George Clooney. For every George Clooney, there are millions of guys struggling with ageing badly.

Basically (and I'm not looking for a particular answer, there is none), I'm hesitating between just aiming to be a bit of a player, no settling down and then when I can no longer, think about finding something serious or being a bit less superficial and just accepting that being good-looking isn't that important and that I have to accept that soon, I will be overlooked by many girls in favour of some better-looking fresh-faced chap so I might as well stop trying to play the dating game, going out to clubs etc. and be a bit more adult...

ReputationRep:
    Mine are going already, and I'm only just 20

Curse you vodka

ReputationRep:
    Nothing to worry about, nothing to lose.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think things could get any worse.

My Mum didn't age too bad, but tbh I don't really have "looks" anyway!

(Original post by ttx)
    Well I'm 26 now, and I'm more attractive now then I was at 23 or 18. So I'm just hoping it carries on http://static.thestudentroom.co.uk/i...s/rolleyes.gif
    I reckon I'm more attractive now as well. Probably not as "pretty" as I look fairly manly now. But "manly" at 35 is a bald head and a fat belly.

I pretty much dread the day (assuming I'm single) that girls I go for now i.e. early 20s see me as a gross old guy...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghanglish)
    Losing them? I look forward to getting some! I hope I'm one of those people who look more handsome as they age. Looking at my Dad, his older brother, my late Grandpa and other male cousins they all age really well and, very importantly, have their hair. So here's hoping.
    Lol same! My dads bald so I dont think theres any chance of that happening to me. BTW random but are you Ashante?

ReputationRep:
    I'm losing mine already...

ReputationRep:
    I know what you mean OP, hopefully I will have captured a wife by the time proper deterioration sets in

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Footballfiend08)
    Lol same! My dads bald so I dont think theres any chance of that happening to me. BTW random but are you Ashante?
    I sure am. I take it you are too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghanglish)
    I sure am. I take it you are too?
    Yup, one of the first things I ask people when I see a Ghana flag lol. Have you heard Sway - Black Stars?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KwungSun)
    MORE IMPORTANTLY: In your 30s, women won't go for you for your looks but for your wallet, so worry about that rather.
    Unfortunately, this seems to be true...look at all those websites where wealthy men meet pretty young women...

Women have more to worry about losing their looks than men, haha.

ReputationRep:
    " If my muscles hurt, it just means I've used them. If it hurts to walk up the stairs, it's just cause I've done it a hundred times to lay down next to a man who loved me. My face may have wrinkles, but I have laid under hundreds of skies on sunny days. I look like this, well, because I drank and I smoked and I lived and I loved and I screwed my way through a pretty damn good life. Getting old isn't bad. It's earned."

lol at tsr being an ugly magnet

ReputationRep:
    Nope. My mom's a **** and I plan on following in her foot steps

ReputationRep:
    Sort of, yet, I know my personality is ******* awesome (yep, ego mode on for sure) and my confidence is sky high. I'm happy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Not at all, although that is part of it I guess (as in just looking generally older). I think there are far worse for a man as he ages: losing hair (I'm certainly not as thick as top as I was a few years ago), getting a belly and all that. Sure you can keep fit but it's not always that easy: guys are genetically programmed to gain weight in that area and it becomes more and more difficult to maintain a flat stomach with age. You can't always exercise as much as you age either: back problems, knee problems (it's not for no reason that you're past it in many sports past 32).

I had already mentioned that there are guys who look good well into middle age and KNEW that someone would mention George Clooney. For every George Clooney, there are millions of guys struggling with ageing badly.

Basically (and I'm not looking for a particular answer, there is none), I'm hesitating between just aiming to be a bit of a player, no settling down and then when I can no longer, think about finding something serious or being a bit less superficial and just accepting that being good-looking isn't that important and that I have to accept that soon, I will be overlooked by many girls in favour of some better-looking fresh-faced chap so I might as well stop trying to play the dating game, going out to clubs etc. and be a bit more adult...
    Just do what makes you happy now. You've got plenty of time to worry about your looks and settling down, and if that's not for you now then don't do it! You won't suddenly become so unnattractive that no woman will ever want to talk to you when you're 30, so just enjoy yourself, whether that's settling down now or later!

Me? My mum looks quite bad at 40, but my nan and aunts etc. look quite good around 60, so I'm hoping I'll take after them!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    For a guy who's 23, this might sound strange but I sometimes wonder what will happen when I'm older.

I'm single and have no real desire to jump into a serious relationship just for the sake of it (I probably would with the right girl though). I'm not the best seducer and personality-wise I don't think I'm that charming: I seem like the rather serious, decent guy type. This gets me a bit of interest but rarely from the type of girls I like, especially as that's not really who I am. I'm not that serious and definitely not "a decent guy" in the sense of perfect boyfriend material.

Because of all this, most girls I "pull" when out or with friends, are the ones who approach me first. If I make the first move, it rarely works but if I know the girl is interested...it's far easier. I'm not head-turningly good-looking but I'm probably good-looking enough to spark interest without me doing much.

Until now, that's allowed me to have at least some success with women but I fear of the time when I won't look so great. By the time they're 30, a lot of guys start to put on weight, lose hair, just generally don't look so fresh. OK, this sounds like gross exaggeration. Plenty of guys in their 30s look good but I don't think I'm that type.

So I wonder if I should just have loads of fun while I still can or whether I shouldn't really think like that and settle down. Does anyone have similar concerns?

Gerard Butler ,George Clooney.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Footballfiend08)
    Yup, one of the first things I ask people when I see a Ghana flag lol. Have you heard Sway - Black Stars?
    stop talking to each other before i send you back to fufu land!

ReputationRep:
    Nope, not losing my looks - haven't even reached my peak yet.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 3, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.