Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know? I know PWC and Deloitte recruit 1200 and 1000 graduates respectively, so would they take about 10% of that intake as interns? If anyone knows how many BDO and GT take it would be helpful. I don't think any of the other accountancy firms offer any internships right? I looked at Baker Tilly, Tenon and a few others and none of them offer internships.

ReputationRep:
    Tenon offer a sort of summer school, I think KPMG and E+Y offer something aswell

For other smaller firms you could always ring HR and see if they would be interested in taking on interns

ReputationRep:
    Deloitte take around 60 in London and I think about the same in the regions so I think the figure of 10% is probably fair. Please note that not all graduates or internships are for accountancy. It's probably around 80% of these figures if you just want the accountancy numbers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stosie)
    Deloitte take around 60 in London and I think about the same in the regions so I think the figure of 10% is probably fair. Please note that not all graduates or internships are for accountancy. It's probably around 80% of these figures if you just want the accountancy numbers.
    Deloitte want 2 or 3 positions of responsibility. I am the social secretary of the badminton society, but I do not hold any other positions. I am doing the Nottingham Advantage Award this year where I could possibly be a student ambasaddor and associate, and I might also do the SIFE thing. Could I write that I will be doing these this year or do the positions of responsibility only have to be things I have already done?

ReputationRep:
    I think the ones you know you will definitely be doing this year should be fine because you will probably have started them before you have the interview and definitely before you start. I wouldn't put anything that is a maybe down though. I think I only put a couple of things down that I had done before uni so if you have anything like that you should put it down too.

ReputationRep:
    KPMG do internships. I think there was around 100 in the North induction (excluding Scotland) so I'm gonna guess about 350 to 400 in total.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kemik)
    KPMG do internships. I think there was around 100 in the North induction (excluding Scotland) so I'm gonna guess about 350 to 400 in total.
    No way! Since KPMG don't hire more than 500/600 people every year, most of them are internees I am guessing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prospectivEEconomist)
    No way! Since KPMG don't hire more than 500/600 people every year, most of them are internees I am guessing?
    Where did you get 500/600 figure from?

Maybe the interns were closer to 300 but I think KPMG recruit a fair amount more than that, probably around Deloitte's figure. Just a guess though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kemik)

Maybe the interns were closer to 300 but I think KPMG recruit a fair amount more than that, probably around Deloitte's figure. Just a guess though.
    Just going by revenue I guess as KPMG earn a lot less than deloitte

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kemik)

EY took 350 in 2008 so 'kemiks' figure sounds spot on to me - as for ft hire i believe its 500 this yr
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    KPMG had 50 of us in London last year, and recruited over a thousand graduates overall. I know there were loads in the regions though/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FadedJade)
    KPMG had 50 of us in London last year, and recruited over a thousand graduates overall. I know there were loads in the regions though/
    Are you joining the grad scheme this year? If you're in a regional London and do tax, cya in Edinburgh :p:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    No I'm taking a year out to do a masters, but I'm joining the Watford office next year.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any stats/guesses for the divisional split?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thee_One)
    EY took 350 in 2008 so 'kemiks' figure sounds spot on to me - as for ft hire i believe its 500 this yr
    It's around 160 interns this year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thee_One)
    It's around 160 interns this year. Same FT hire which means you have to seriously **** up in order to not get a FT offer.

ReputationRep:
    How much weight do you think Deloitte place on the "positions of responsibility" question. Obviously some, otherwise they wouldn't ask, but do you think if other things are all ok - grades, work experience, good "career motivation" answers - then you'll be okay with pretty average/poorish answers? Such as a school prefect? All my positions of responsibility have been in employment, which is specifically excludes!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dy*)
    How much weight do you think Deloitte place on the "positions of responsibility" question. Obviously some, otherwise they wouldn't ask, but do you think if other things are all ok - grades, work experience, good "career motivation" answers - then you'll be okay with pretty average/poorish answers? Such as a school prefect? All my positions of responsibility have been in employment, which is specifically excludes!
    aren't you on the committee of any society?

Does anyone know if you are allowed to hold 2 positions of responsibility? I just wasn't sure because I am the Social Secretary of the Badminton Society and VP of another one?

ReputationRep:
    With respect to internships, about 60 for Deloitte London.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by verticalforce)
    It's around 160 interns this year. Same FT hire which means you have to seriously **** up in order to not get a FT offer.
    Only 160? That seems like an awfully low number compared with how many they take on as full timers. Or is this normal?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.