Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Student Finance - My dad moving in with his girlfriend Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi there.

I applied for student finance in March.. and since my circumstances had not changed, the process was pretty easy and it was confirmed smoothly. I'm currently living just with my dad, so he was the only one supporting me in the application. This year I had just applied for the maintenance grant (not the tuition loan, or maintenance loan) since with this, plus a bursary from my university and savings, I would be able to get through okay.

However, my dad has had a girlfriend for a year or so now, and they have decided to move in together. Or rather him and me to her house (it's bigger). My problem is i'm really confused on the student finance. My dad tell's me that she is in a management position so i assume she will earn quite a lot. When they we do move in (another few weeks) will i need to be reassessed? as in send my dads and her's income off? Because i'm assuming she earns a lot, with my dads too, i won't be able to get the maintenance grant (or the uni bursary). Which is fair enough. But my problem is.. since I won't be getting them, I will not be able to afford to do it just with my savings etc, so I will need to apply for the loans.

The student finance F&A say you don't need to inform them until the circumstance have changed, but with me they probably won't change to just before/after I start back at university. So if its just before, will all my finance stop, and when i start uni again, i won't get any money until it has being reassessed, so i will be stuck at uni for a few months without any money?

Or if its just after, and i get my first payment of the bursary, will I have to pay that back? then wait while the loan's application goes through.

Do you see my confusion?

I hope i've explained it fully...

ReputationRep:
    You do need to inform them of this, because her income will be brought into account, and these things always come to light.

I once had a case where we found out the following year, and then took back around about £5000 of student finance.

ReputationRep:
    thank you for replying.

I shall definitely be informing the student finance people. I was just wondering if we move in with her after my course has started and I had received my first payment, what would happen?
    My dad only decided to move in with her a few days ago, so need to wait for the flat contract to end etc.

ReputationRep:
    * because at the time the first payment was paid.. i still would be living with just my dad supporting me!

=/

ReputationRep:
    You do not have to inform them as she is nothing to do with you (correct?). Her savings and income is for her own use only she is not your mother nor married to your father so she is not expected to support you or your father. Just say you are lodging with her

ReputationRep:
    You are correct. She is just my dad's girlfriend. Not a step parent by marriage.
    I can see your point about lodging with her.

Suppose only way to be sure is when we do move in with her, ring up student finance and ask =)

thankyou for replying.

ReputationRep:
    i've just looked on the application for supporting a student and found that the following should fill it in..

"The student’s natural or adoptive parent;
    • The student’s step-parent;
    • The husband, wife, civil partner or cohabiting partner of one of the student’s parents;
    • The student’s husband, wife or civil partner; or
    • The student’s cohabiting partner, if the student is over 25 and entered higher education in
    2000/01 or later."

I think my dads girlfriend would come under the 'cohabiting partner'??

ReputationRep:
    Indeed. I do assessments for an LEA, so this has to be brought in. Please ignore the advice of Kane_Fizz, because it will only get all your support removed when it comes to light. That goes for tuition fees, grants, loans for living costs, everything.

If it was after the start of the course, then it should come in, but any income is calculated on a pro-rata basis. So say they moved in on the 1st December, her income would be calculated as the income for the 07/08 year multiplied by 9/12 (1st December - 31st August = 9 months)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kane_Fizz)
    say you are lodging with her
    Then you'd have to prove this by bills and whatnot.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much Taiko for you very helpful advice.

I understand what you say.

I am sure that we won't move in til after Sepetember, and I am worrying about this bursary payment. When it is paid It will just me and dad. But probably middle/end of September is when it will change. What will happen then to this already first paid installment? Or will it be paid, then i will get reassessed, then not receive the two following installments?
    =/

ReputationRep:
    That is at the discretion of your university. They may recalculate future installments, but you'd need to see them.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.