Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

in relationship with a girl from my group of friends and shes upset Watch

ReputationRep:
    My friend and her current boyfriend started dating at christmas, she is my best friend and blurted it out when we were both bit too drunk, they told people in May, and are still together. I don't know why they kept it a secret, but it works

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DOA)
    I have told her the reasons and she said shes ashamed of me

Yes but if someone didn't want to tell anyone about our relationship for whatever reason i would be pretty pissed off.

However, my ex told everyone about me so obviously he liked me!!!:p:

ReputationRep:
    How do you think your friends will feel too?
    Surely you can just speak to them about the above matters?
    A secret relationship may aswell not be one tbh, I know most of you won't agree, but if a lad said to me 'Okay I really like you and I want to be with you but I don't want anyone to know, especially your close friends'

I'd tell him to go f*** himself

ReputationRep:
    Coming from personal experience, none of the reasons will happen if you have an adult, mature relationship and your friends themselves are mature enough to respect the privacy you want in the relationship.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spleeny)
    A guy and girl in my group of friends dated and then broke up. They never kept it a secret and it wasn't awkward or anything when they split up cause they were both friends with the same people so they were kinda forced to be together, they're friends now.
    but was it awkward for a whike?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DOA)
    like Im not ashamed of her orr anything
    I didn't mean for it to come across like i thought that you was ashamed of her when i said "You should want to show your girlfriend off"...i just think that you should forget about all of the reasons for keeping it a secret and and just think about your girlfriend who doesn't want to hide your relationship....also if you hide your relationship your girlfriend may start to have doubts in her mind and start to think that you want to keep it a secret becasue you're ashamed of her....overall i think you'd be better off not hiding it..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jellynubbin)
    How do you think your friends will feel too?
    Surely you can just speak to them about the above matters?
    A secret relationship may aswell not be one tbh, I know most of you won't agree, but if a lad said to me 'Okay I really like you and I want to be with you but I don't want anyone to know, especially your close friends'

I'd tell him to go f*** himself
    there our close friends thats the problem so if we want to talk we go to the same people, if we fight it becomes a group of friends issue and people may take sides

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cattt)
    Coming from personal experience, none of the reasons will happen if you have an adult, mature relationship and your friends themselves are mature enough to respect the privacy you want in the relationship.
    there not

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DOA)
    there our close friends thats the problem so if we want to talk we go to the same people, if we fight it becomes a group of friends issue and people may take sides
    Me and my boyf are in same friend circle, you just both need to make sure you keep it out of your friends business, I doubt your friends will want to get involved in it tbh! Why should it become a group of friends issue, its about your relationship and you should be the only two people in it. My friends are currently trying to keep their relationship secret, and it hasn't worked, and its affected us that way too as we all feel pretty betrayed, so just bear that in mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DOA)
    1. what happened to the girl from work?

2. don't date close friends, it almost always turns out to be really ugly, and incredibly awkward.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jellynubbin)
    Me and my boyf are in same friend circle, you just both need to make sure you keep it out of your friends business, I doubt your friends will want to get involved in it tbh! Why should it become a group of friends issue, its about your relationship and you should be the only two people in it. My friends are currently trying to keep their relationship secret, and it hasn't worked, and its affected us that way too as we all feel pretty betrayed, so just bear that in mind.
    a previous relationship between 2 friends also in the group everyone got involved and we wont be the only 2 involved trust me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JFJ)
    1. what happened to the girl from work?

2. don't date close friends, it almost always turns out to be really ugly, and incredibly awkward.
    1. shes been promoted (for a while) shes now my boss so best stay clear until she comes back to her own job

2. we are already gonig out so bit late

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DOA)
    1. shes been promoted (for a while) shes now my boss so best stay clear until she comes back to her own job

2. we are already gonig out so bit late
    gutted on both counts, I found friends didn't want to take sides so kept out of it, which is good for the most part but then kind of horrible and lonely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JFJ)
    gutted on both counts, I found friends didn't want to take sides so kept out of it, which is good for the most part but then kind of horrible and lonely.
    my friends would, they always get into friend group couples arguements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DOA)
    my friends would, they always get into friend group couples arguements
    good luck then. even if you keep it secret they will probably find out quite soon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DOA)
    I want to keep it a secret from our friends for the following reasons: (in order of importance)

- I dont want them interfearing
    - dont want a fuss if we breaK up
    - no extra guests in fights
    - no girl talk about me
    - were the boy & girl who everyone said should be together and I dont want them to be right

Im only asking to do it for 3 months so we are an estabished couple first but she doesnt want to, is it me or her in the wrong?
    Dont date her then. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Two of my friends did this. Didn't tell anyone, it was so obvious because they kept going off alone and no one knew where they'd gone. The guy also got a bit touchy feely around her and we were like o____o please stop that xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DOA)
    a previous relationship between 2 friends also in the group everyone got involved and we wont be the only 2 involved trust me
    soooo why did u post a thread asking for advice when you're not listening to us :s?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DOA)
    but was it awkward for a whike?
    No, not at all. We all went out together the day after they split and they kinda ignored each other a bit but there were enough people that it wasn't obvious.

ReputationRep:
    This is silly, just tell people.
    She probably thinks you're ashamed. Those reasons aren't really that good enough to justify not telling your friends. They'll just think you're both really touchy-feely if you don't tell them. And thinking of reasons not to tell them that are to do with splitting up is stupid - cross that bridge when you get there.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 2, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.