Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Advice needed! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I want to do a law degree and I need to know a few things before i persue it.
    I would have to do an access course as i didnt get good gcse results and have stayed out of the education system since. Is this looked down upon?
    When I start uni to do the LLB hons undergraduate course i will be 25, is this a little old?
    Will any of the above be taken into consideration when applying for training?
    I'm new to this forum so please be kind!!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Some universities may not consider the completion of an access course as sufficiently meeting their entry requirements; you'll have to visit the websites of the universities which you are interested in and check there. As a mature student (21+), however, the requirements are usually not so strict and most places probably won't look too negatively upon it; apparently, mature students have the benefit of "life-experience" and that usually compensates for poor GCSE's/ lack of academic qualifications etc. In my lectures there are quite a few students a lot older than you - at 25 I think you'd go pretty much unnoticed so don't let that stop you.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Snowy, I have just finished an Access to Science & Health professions Course. I am going to Reading Uni in september to study chemistry. I have no Other qualifications, no gcses, nothing. I highly reccommended taknig an access course, and if it is your first level 3 qualification it will cost you nothing! I am 22 and feel like I have been given a second chance. And yes, life experience will count as alot, trust me - will a university want to accept an 18yr old who hasn't a clue, or a 20+ yr old whos been around the block and decided they want to learn??? whos more committed? Answer - the mature student.

Go for it, bite the bullet and be skint for 9 months, but it's all worth it. GOOD LUCK !!! : D : D

ReputationRep:
    and everyone on my course was offered a place at uni diong various subjects. you get all the help you need if you need it, all the guidance etc. and yea just check with the uni before you list it as a ucas choice that you will be accepted etc.. best to phone up and exlpain circumstances.. then get answer in writing or email.. eg i needed to get 66 credits overall from my course to go to reading. A basic pass was 45 credits at lvl 3 and 15 at lvl 2. but i have just found out i achieved 66 at lvl 3 and 12 at lvl 2, 78 overall.

ReputationRep:
    sorry I'm banging on but SERIOUSLY THESE COURSES ARE SIMPLY EXCEPTIONAL.

ReputationRep:
    OP, I studied on an Access course (Certificate of HE in Legal Methods) and got offers from Oxford and Kings College, so mature students do not seem to be looked down upon by admissions people at universities. I did not have any A levels, only qualifications equivalent to GCSE's, completed abroad more than 6 years ago. I will be 26 when I graduate, so don't worry about being 'too old' - that really shouldn't be a problem! If you got any questions about applying to law as mature student, check the wiki article in my signature or PM me, I would be glad to help.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you all for your helpfull posts! I'm 23 right now and will be starting the access course next year, going to spend this year reading up a few law books to cram in some extra knowledge! Thanks again!!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 3, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.