Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How much money do you need in first week at uni? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Looking at the optimistic side that I made my offer. How much money do you need to bring for first week?

As I heard from teachers that student finance thing doesn't kick in to after fresher week and like two weeks or something like that.

I heard you only spend £25-30 a week on food. Sadly, I have only got about £38 and I doubt I will have that on the 21st. I guess I can make my mother pay for the train ticket but at night it will only cost like 10 pounds. I really don't want to take money of my family.

From the loan and possible accomodation fees I have calculated I got roughly about £49 a week.

P.S. I was wondering, I'm thinking of bringing hundred pounds for the first week. But, I'm pretty sure I have to get it from family. Yeah, so how much money did you bring in first week?

ReputationRep:
    I'm only gonna have about £40 per week after rent each week so my parents are giving me money to start with for the first couple of weeks. Just make sure you can take enough food to last you a week so you don't have to buy any whilst there

ReputationRep:
    my friend saved up £400 for freshers week, i doubt she used much of that.
    i plan to use my wage, which will be about £300

ReputationRep:
    I have £200 saved for freshers week. Not sure if that's enough but I hope it is!

ReputationRep:
    In fresher's week I went out about 5 times and spent about £20 each time. And then there were the cost of tickets for certain things, e.g. fresher's ball ticket for £15, buying various uni and course-related bits and bobs. It's do-able on far less, but you don't want to be scrimping on your first ever week at uni if you can avoid it. Take as much food from home as you can, e.g. tins and dry stuff, and if you really are that short of money you could live off beans on toast/15p noodles/pasta for the first week, thus saving you more money for going out and being a fresher!

I spent around £150 on the first week.

This didn't include food, as I was in catered accomodation, and only £20 was spent on going out (I spent the majority of Freshers Week at halls because we had our own bar and there were numerous block parties going on all over the place). All I brought with me was clothes and my laptop, all the other essentials I needed (bedding, cleaning stuff etc.) I had to buy.

ReputationRep:
    Freshers week you tend to spend the most money...i know someone who spent £600 in the Freshers week!

ReputationRep:
    I'd say it'd be enough. My mate averages 50 pounds a week but he never gets there most weeks. It's a matter of save over most of term and blow it all at the end. Exception is freshers.

ReputationRep:
    I used a small amount of money saved up for about a year as well as money I'd earned over the summer.

I spent £150. Everyone else in my flat spent £200+ with one spending over £350.

I went crazy with my loan in the weeks following.

ReputationRep:
    I spent £200 in freshers week which was actually not to bad as i heard of people spending more, I would say don't overspend too much on freshers as there are loads of events throughout the year every week in fact there is always something going on which you will need money for, I spent alot in freshers thinking after freshers nothing would be happening but there is plenty to come, plus dont get to wasted on freshers it gives a bad image to you to other people, i know this because I fell down my student union stairs when i was drunk and quite a few people remembered that, though was a good conversation starter

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.