Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    To some extent a tiny bit of arrogance can sometimes give you that extra self belief (perhaps slightly unfounded) to go further in life, which is probably why a lot of successful people could be described as arrogant to some extent, but of course, it is confidence that is the foundation of people of substance.
    And I love your sig flying cookie :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    I'd not really consider that arrogance. Surely that's just having a strong opinion on something, but not having all the details?
    That person would surely only be arrogant if they claimed to know everything about the subject.
    When I said "very fiercely" I meant that the person speaks with great confidence, but does not have the facts right. It might not fit quite exactly with the term arrogance, maybe more ignorance. I'll try a better example. If someone wins a competition and speaks sarcastically of the one who came second, that makes them arrogant. This is patronizing, maybe a sort of power abuse. So I rectify my definition of arrogance by: an attitude of disrespect towards others' skills, knowledge, talent or achievement; or abuse of one's own skills, knowledge, talent or achievement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the.white.rabbit)
    Yeah people may think that they are better then people for certain things..like a job, which you mentioned...but "arrogant" people are those who don't just think that they are better then someone for a certain thing but just overall think they are better then you in every way and feel that they are superior and everyone else is inferior to them.
    "Can white rabbits read the minds of us people?" - 'us' , so you think of yourself as arrogant??
    But how would you know that someone feels that way? The only way I can think of is if some tells you "do this, do that", but even then.. surely [if they ARE more knowledgable about something than you] it's for the best?

All I'm saying is that 'arrogance' is defined by many, and probably the dictionary, as having excessive pride in oneself. I see no problem with that. If you know you have ability, why not show it and let people see - there's no need to be too modest. Hell, we all look up to Einstein.. it's just that he did things differently.

And the white rabbit thing was a bit of a joke-trying-to-be-a-pun based on your username. To be honest though I am arrogant in the sense that I don't back down if I know I'm right. A few people think I AM arrogant because of that, but what they don't realise is that if I don't back down, it's because I'm trying to do the right thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flying Cookie)
    When I said "very fiercely" I meant that the person speaks with great confidence, but does not have the facts right. It might not fit quite exactly with the term arrogance, maybe more ignorance. I'll try a better example. If someone wins a competition and speaks sarcastically of the one who came second, that makes them arrogant. This is patronizing, maybe a sort of power abuse. So I rectify my definition of arrogance by: an attitude of disrespect towards others' skills, knowledge, talent or achievement; or abuse of one's own skills, knowledge, talent or achievement.
    Ah, I see. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Generally because arrogant people have little or no respect towards other mortals, try to prove themselves and their silly points by attacking others, show a lack of compassion with other people, like to give the impression that they are oh-so-independent-seize-the-day type of person but are generally socially lost without their 'BFF's and they also seem to be in a permanent state of being annoyed and just too good for life itself...

Phew....I sure feel better now ^^.....!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.