Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey

I was jus wondering if anyone else has been allocated Cook Mews for this yr? would be cool to get to know people before we start

x

ReputationRep:
    have you been told where you're going already?! I applied for it but haven't heard anything yet x

ReputationRep:
    I have Cook Mews as my first choice but haven't heard from the accommodation office yet as mine is just a conditional offer. Keep my fingers crossed that I will be there in September!!

ReputationRep:
    :five: Good choice =] I was there in my first year xD

Let me know if anyone is in 206 xD

ReputationRep:
    I was in Llewellyn last year, you should have a brilliant time, I know we certainly did. If you get it, watch out for the grumpy neighbour if he's still there... he's with his family in the council accomodation and wants a new house, so complains at EVERYTHING. don't worry though, you can have a good time and annoy the neighbours! And anyway the rest of them are lovely- oh and Pat and Mike the cleaners, lovely people.

ReputationRep:
    I've just had confirmation through I'm in Cook Mews, no info on room/flat numbers though. Nice to see I'm not the only one living there so far!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dools101)
    I was in Llewellyn last year, you should have a brilliant time, I know we certainly did. If you get it, watch out for the grumpy neighbour if he's still there... he's with his family in the council accomodation and wants a new house, so complains at EVERYTHING. don't worry though, you can have a good time and annoy the neighbours! And anyway the rest of them are lovely- oh and Pat and Mike the cleaners, lovely people.
    What about the neighbors that argue all the time?

You lot might have a flat invasion by some former residents in freshers week...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ramble)
    What about the neighbors that argue all the time?

You lot might have a flat invasion by some former residents in freshers week...
    I waited until a few weeks in...and scared whoever was in my room xD

Pumpkins brightly coloured cocktails were gooood though :coma:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarah281188)
    I've just had confirmation through I'm in Cook Mews, no info on room/flat numbers though. Nice to see I'm not the only one living there so far!
    I'm in Cook Mews too!

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know when we find out our blocks etc. for Cook Mews? All the other accommodation seem to already have theirs...

ReputationRep:
    Cook Mews doesn't have blocks There are 40 people in it - 8 flats of 5 people. If you ring up then they might tell you your room number (for insurance circumstances sort of thing) You have 001-005, 006-010, 101-105, 106-110, 201-205, 206-210 and 111-115 and 211-215 in the annexe (or mini-cooks) The annexe has a bigger kitchen than Big Cooks though =)

ReputationRep:
    May I know if all rooms at Cook Mews face the railway and are equally noisy? My friend told me she got an email from the accommodation office about the bedding/ kitchen packs. Is it worth ordering these packs ( there are delivery charges) or do you think we can easily get our duvet/pillow at the town centre in Exeter, at a lower price?
    Hope someone can offer advice, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    All the ones facing the railway were pretty much the same. The downstairs rooms were darker (especially when we had one parked outside for a week - my friend got no sunlight that week! I know my room used to vibrate if a train went past on the closer line, quickly. IT always used to vibrate a bit, but that was the only time my phone fell off my desk xD After a year in Cooks I can sleep anywhere though - a very useful skill! Only downside, I find it too quiet at home to sleep, so I often end up with my mp3 player going!

And I agree with argos - else invest in vacuum pack bags (godsend xD) and bring down your duvet and pillows from home, like I did =) The pack isn't worth it. Nab what you can from home xD My plates and pots and pans were my nans xD

ReputationRep:
    Half the rooms face the trains, half don't.
    They're not all equally noisy either - the ground floor rooms seem somewhat quieter - probably because of the barrier.

Don't worry about the noise, it won't be too much of a problem.

ReputationRep:
    Ah, poor memory on my part then. It's not that much different though, you'll all get nice floodlights at night =P

Sorry, in a bit of an odd mood tonight - The noise and light it slightly irritating for the first week or so. But then you just collapse and it makes no difference!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks all for your useful tips. I guess I will not order a bedding pack as I find out on the website that items at Argos are cheaper. Is the store located at the town centre and within easy reach from Cook Mews? I know there isn't any iron provided at the residence and do you think I need to buy or bring one from my home? I know some universities do provide an iron for students' use and just wonder why Exeter doesn't.
    Even though I haven't been confirmed the place yet, I am quite confident that I will be at Cook Mews this September.:yes:

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't bother bringing an iron, odds are there will be someone else in your flat that has one that you can borrow - we had 3 xD and a few toasters and things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sephrenia)
    Cook Mews doesn't have blocks There are 40 people in it - 8 flats of 5 people. If you ring up then they might tell you your room number (for insurance circumstances sort of thing) You have 001-005, 006-010, 101-105, 106-110, 201-205, 206-210 and 111-115 and 211-215 in the annexe (or mini-cooks) The annexe has a bigger kitchen than Big Cooks though =)
    Are the rooms in mini-cooks different to those in big cooks? I'd never even heard of that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paved_Paradise)
    Are the rooms in mini-cooks different to those in big cooks? I'd never even heard of that!
    Nope, the rooms are the same, just the front room and kitchen are a bit bigger. Corner rooms are ones you really want to have -they have so much more floor space!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sephrenia)
    Nope, the rooms are the same, just the front room and kitchen are a bit bigger. Corner rooms are ones you really want to have -they have so much more floor space!
    Ah ok, thanks!

Also, I know we're able to use the laundry facilities at King Edwards - how close are they to each other? Is that a complete pain in the arse?! I guess you'd get used to it anyway though...

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.