Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey

I was jus wondering if anyone else has been allocated Cook Mews for this yr? would be cool to get to know people before we start

x

ReputationRep:
    have you been told where you're going already?! I applied for it but haven't heard anything yet x

ReputationRep:
    I have Cook Mews as my first choice but haven't heard from the accommodation office yet as mine is just a conditional offer. Keep my fingers crossed that I will be there in September!!

ReputationRep:
    :five: Good choice =] I was there in my first year xD

Let me know if anyone is in 206 xD

ReputationRep:
    I was in Llewellyn last year, you should have a brilliant time, I know we certainly did. If you get it, watch out for the grumpy neighbour if he's still there... he's with his family in the council accomodation and wants a new house, so complains at EVERYTHING. don't worry though, you can have a good time and annoy the neighbours! And anyway the rest of them are lovely- oh and Pat and Mike the cleaners, lovely people.

ReputationRep:
    I've just had confirmation through I'm in Cook Mews, no info on room/flat numbers though. Nice to see I'm not the only one living there so far!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dools101)
    I was in Llewellyn last year, you should have a brilliant time, I know we certainly did. If you get it, watch out for the grumpy neighbour if he's still there... he's with his family in the council accomodation and wants a new house, so complains at EVERYTHING. don't worry though, you can have a good time and annoy the neighbours! And anyway the rest of them are lovely- oh and Pat and Mike the cleaners, lovely people.
    What about the neighbors that argue all the time?

You lot might have a flat invasion by some former residents in freshers week...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ramble)
    What about the neighbors that argue all the time?

You lot might have a flat invasion by some former residents in freshers week...
    I waited until a few weeks in...and scared whoever was in my room xD

Pumpkins brightly coloured cocktails were gooood though :coma:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarah281188)
    I've just had confirmation through I'm in Cook Mews, no info on room/flat numbers though. Nice to see I'm not the only one living there so far!
    I'm in Cook Mews too!

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know when we find out our blocks etc. for Cook Mews? All the other accommodation seem to already have theirs...

ReputationRep:
    Cook Mews doesn't have blocks There are 40 people in it - 8 flats of 5 people. If you ring up then they might tell you your room number (for insurance circumstances sort of thing) You have 001-005, 006-010, 101-105, 106-110, 201-205, 206-210 and 111-115 and 211-215 in the annexe (or mini-cooks) The annexe has a bigger kitchen than Big Cooks though =)

ReputationRep:
    May I know if all rooms at Cook Mews face the railway and are equally noisy? My friend told me she got an email from the accommodation office about the bedding/ kitchen packs. Is it worth ordering these packs ( there are delivery charges) or do you think we can easily get our duvet/pillow at the town centre in Exeter, at a lower price?
    Hope someone can offer advice, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    All the ones facing the railway were pretty much the same. The downstairs rooms were darker (especially when we had one parked outside for a week - my friend got no sunlight that week! I know my room used to vibrate if a train went past on the closer line, quickly. IT always used to vibrate a bit, but that was the only time my phone fell off my desk xD After a year in Cooks I can sleep anywhere though - a very useful skill! Only downside, I find it too quiet at home to sleep, so I often end up with my mp3 player going!

And I agree with argos - else invest in vacuum pack bags (godsend xD) and bring down your duvet and pillows from home, like I did =) The pack isn't worth it. Nab what you can from home xD My plates and pots and pans were my nans xD

ReputationRep:
    Half the rooms face the trains, half don't.
    They're not all equally noisy either - the ground floor rooms seem somewhat quieter - probably because of the barrier.

Don't worry about the noise, it won't be too much of a problem.

ReputationRep:
    Ah, poor memory on my part then. It's not that much different though, you'll all get nice floodlights at night =P

Sorry, in a bit of an odd mood tonight - The noise and light it slightly irritating for the first week or so. But then you just collapse and it makes no difference!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks all for your useful tips. I guess I will not order a bedding pack as I find out on the website that items at Argos are cheaper. Is the store located at the town centre and within easy reach from Cook Mews? I know there isn't any iron provided at the residence and do you think I need to buy or bring one from my home? I know some universities do provide an iron for students' use and just wonder why Exeter doesn't.
    Even though I haven't been confirmed the place yet, I am quite confident that I will be at Cook Mews this September.:yes:

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't bother bringing an iron, odds are there will be someone else in your flat that has one that you can borrow - we had 3 xD and a few toasters and things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sephrenia)
    Cook Mews doesn't have blocks There are 40 people in it - 8 flats of 5 people. If you ring up then they might tell you your room number (for insurance circumstances sort of thing) You have 001-005, 006-010, 101-105, 106-110, 201-205, 206-210 and 111-115 and 211-215 in the annexe (or mini-cooks) The annexe has a bigger kitchen than Big Cooks though =)
    Are the rooms in mini-cooks different to those in big cooks? I'd never even heard of that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paved_Paradise)
    Are the rooms in mini-cooks different to those in big cooks? I'd never even heard of that!
    Nope, the rooms are the same, just the front room and kitchen are a bit bigger. Corner rooms are ones you really want to have -they have so much more floor space!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sephrenia)
    Nope, the rooms are the same, just the front room and kitchen are a bit bigger. Corner rooms are ones you really want to have -they have so much more floor space!
    Ah ok, thanks!

Also, I know we're able to use the laundry facilities at King Edwards - how close are they to each other? Is that a complete pain in the arse?! I guess you'd get used to it anyway though...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.