Turn on thread page Beta

paranoid about going swimming :( watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey people!

I really want to go swimming sometime this week, as I know it can really help you to keep fitm but my body isn't the most toned in the world, and I feel a bit self concious going into the pool if you see what I mean...

Does anyone have any advice as to how I could possibly get over this fear? Is there anything I could possibly wear?

Thx a lot.

ReputationRep:
    just get in the water quickly, no one will be able to tell once you start swimming.

ReputationRep:
    asdf

ReputationRep:
    I think about it this way:
    - If people have the nerve to criticise you for not being 'toned', then that's fine if you're doing nothing about it. However if you're out exercising, at the pool/at the gym whatever - then they don't have that right, because you're not sitting on your arse eating cake, you're doing something about it.

Good luck, go do it! :-) x

ReputationRep:
    Whenever i go swimming, there are only old people there.
    Well, apart from the lifeguards..
    But no-one can tell your body shape whilst you're underwater.
    And you're obviously there to lose weight, so how could anyone judge you?

Just go for it.

ReputationRep:
    Go to the gym before. lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 888phoenix888)
    i highly doubt people go to the swimming baths to perve and judge other peoples bodies. ignore them and you'll be fine
    Cool pictures.

ReputationRep:
    It took me ages to summon up the courage to go swimming with my boyfriend and my best mate after they invited me for months. I was very self conscious of my body for not being toned or anything..but I just bit the bullet and went for it. I know I look an absolute mess with my goggles and wet hair but if you're with trusted friends..they think nothing of it

ReputationRep:
    Just walk fast from the changing room to the pool (remember, don't run :p:). No-one will see once your under water, apart from the little kids with goggles. You will be fine

ReputationRep:
    asdf

ReputationRep:
    kimoso, what a legend eh. Queen of TSR.
    Congratulations on knowing her IRL. I wish I knew someone IRL. Oh but to think such a miracle could be...

ReputationRep:
    People don't go to the swimming pool to check out other people's bodies... they go to swim.

At least you CAN swim. I can't :sad:

ReputationRep:
    kimoso, what a legend eh. Queen of TSR.
    Would now be a bad moment for me to say: Who!? :p:

ReputationRep:
    The only way to over come this fear is to go swimming....just go for it..
    Maybe this picture will give you more confidence and make you fell better about yourself..

• PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Before two years ago it was 10 years since I'd been swimming and I was really self-conscious because of my weight and also the scars on my arms. After the first couple of times it wasn't so bad, people will be too worried about what they look like to look at you.
    I go pretty regularly now, but sometimes I do wear a long sleeved top over my swimming costume (like a wet suit top - search 'rash vest' on ebay), which makes me feel more comfortable.
    It is usually a short walk from the changing rooms to the pool, so just make sure you get in the water quickly.
    When I first went the swimming changing rooms were being refurbished, so we had to use the ones downstairs, then walk down a corridor, up the stairs and through reception in swimming costume and towel :eek3: But as I said, after the first couple of times you get used to it.

ReputationRep:
    Loads of fat people go to the swimming pool so I'm sure no one will notice you with your miniscule amount of fat.

EDIT: Mandy personally I would be way way more likely to look at you if I saw you had a rash vest on. Fat people aren't out of the ordinary but people wearing rash vests most certainly are.

ReputationRep:
    Just hold your head high a go for it

ReputationRep:
    it's usually old people at swimming pools, especially in the morning. in the evening it tends to be adults who are just interested in getting a good swim/some exercise.

i usually avoid bikinis for swimming pools and crack out the swimming cossie, you'll look out of place if you turn up in a string bikini for a swim - best to leave it at the beach! the swimming costume i'm using atm is one from ethel austin for £4, does the job perfectly.

but yeah, don't worry, i went swimming when i was a size 16 and nobody cares, you'll feel fine once you've made that mad dash from the changing rooms to the pool

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't worry about it, just go. No one will judge you, people care too much about themselves to worry about what other people look like. I'm very self concious about my left leg because I've had loads of surgery on it since I was 5, it is very skinny compared to my other leg (especially at the lower calf/ankle) and has scars all over it, and I was putting off going swimming for months. But one day I just decided I had to stop letting it get to me, and I went and got it over with. Now I go pretty much every day after my work out and I feel much better for it.

ReputationRep:
    I've worked as a lifeguard for over two years... and let me tell you, nobody will judge you unless you're downright obese (in which case you'll find everyone staring at you!)

By obese, I mean as in the picture posted earlier :P

You'll be completely fine, others will think nothing bad of you, and neither should you!

Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.