Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    It is a bit for me since when people thing of typically 'English' food it's generally something to do with meat/ fish...being veggie that's a bit annoying.
    I think we just find food from other places more interesting/ exciting because we don't eat it like, all the time though. Saying that everything's becoming so merged, it's great. Like 50 years ago, if you said you were gonna have chilli, pasta, pizza, curry, stir fry, sushi etc (ha sorry for stereotypes, first things off the top of my head) all in a week, people would have no idea what you'd be on about! But now it's the norm, it's great

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the.white.rabbit)

You know that's indian food....right?
    I believe there are a number of curries with their origins in Britain

ReputationRep:
    fish and chips :yum:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the.white.rabbit)

No seriously...its not really is it?? :confused:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_tikka_masala

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, English food sucks.

Scottish food, on the other hand... :p:

Seriously though, I don't agree that British food is bad at all. I think that a lot of British people have a bad attitude towards food and that this contributes to some of the culinary atrocities we've seen over the years e.g. deep fried Mars Bars; Heinz Sandwich Spread; Rustlers burgers and Pot Noodles, to name a few. Anyone who sees food purely as a way to stay alive and not something to be enjoyed is, of course, quite likely to end up giving British food a bad reputation.

I am always amazed at how much pre-packaged food people buy in the UK. I'm also amazed at the amount of times one of my friends has said to me (knowing I'm into cooking): "I made such and such the other day...", to which I'd respond "really? How did you make it?", "Well, I bought the meat and a jar of sauce and mixed them together". Great, not only will the meal taste bad, it'll have little nutritional value as well. Is it really that much hassle to just cook from scratch? Obviously it is. Shame, though, as the pleasure people might get from doing so could alleviate much of the stress caused by a modern lifestyle.

British seafood is exquisite; with British squid and Scottish langoustines counted among the best in the world. British lamb, if purchased from a good source, is delicious - it just needs a bit of TLC in the cooking process! Scottish Aberdeen Angus beef if exported worldwide, with a huge demand for its excellent texture and flavour. British asparagus is top notch! British venison, although not noticeably different to that of other countries with similar climates, is still some of the finest meat available on the market. The list goes on...

For the last few years, British cuisine has been undergoing serious change. British restaurants have been forsaking their old-school, almost 'protectionist' values and have been embracing the culinary delights made possible by the inexorable globalisation of the 21st century.

For anyone that thinks British food is bad, I suggest this: Start cooking properly and stop buying pre-packaged crap! If you still think British food is bad, then at least you've made an informed decision.

Please note: I am in no way suggesting that everybody who thinks British food is bad automatically buys pre-packaged food, it was simply the first thing that sprang to mind! Kind of prejudice, I didn't mean it like that, though.

ReputationRep:
    imo there's a distinct lack of seasoning :yep: and what little there is consists of either 'salt' or 'pepper' :ahee:
    also, for me aesthetics are another important part of the culinary experience, and in this respect too English food seriously underwhelms

ReputationRep:
    I think, in other countries, an appreciation and understanding of good food is instilled in children from an early age, unlike here. A lot of people just can't be bothered. Like someone else said, good produce is the way to great food, even if it is English.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mamooshka)
    Go and eat a delicious Cumberland sausage and tell me you don't love it.

I dare thee...
    pah! lincolnshire sausage is where its at!

ReputationRep:
    Well it wasn't a good roast then was it?

ReputationRep:
    Hehe this thread reminds me of last week
    My mate got some chips and gravy, offered me some, i was like *yuck* I don't like gravy

I then got myself some chips with curry sauce and squirted lots of chilli sauce as well
    I was om nom noming my way thourgh that,yummy, yummy, and my mates were looking at me strange, I offered them some and they screwed their face up, something about "too spicy" then one mate turned around and said "Marisa you just ain't English" I then told them I don't like gravy or really anything from a traditional Sunday English meal, I hate veg and mash and just plain strips of meat.

I like my food to have lots of flavour,and smell aromatic, and yeah I like spicy food, even though I was brought up on really bland English stuff (I thought I was a fussy eater, till I realised it was just my parents who were fussy on forching things that revolved around beef, mash and carrots down my throat!, once i started trying Indian/Chinese/Italian/Anything really food there was tons I liked!)

They gave me such strange looks and comments like I was from another planet!

Don't get it

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't ever say it was naff but I wouldn't ever say it was my top choice or 'go to'.

ReputationRep:
    Sunday roast is the best. Especially when we have roast lamb and mint sauce.

I kind of agree though, other countries seem to have more interesting things to offer. I can't complain about things like fish and chips and Shepherds pie though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by riccoles)
    So I've just got back from the dining room after yet another Roast Beef Sunday tea.

This got me thinking, why am I actually eating this?
    I don't like it, it just tastes bland and isn't healthy in any way.

So I've been thinking of any English food that I do actually like and I'm struggling...

I would much rather be eating Portuguese, Spanish, Italian or Indian cuisine, not only because its healthier but it just tastes so, so much nicer.

It would be interesting to find out if anyone actually agrees with me when I say I don't like English food.

Ahhh totally... the Asians and those around the Med know how to cook... but come on, honestly... bubble and squeek? The English Breakfast? Euughh... never ever wanted it... makes me embarrassed to be English. No wonder we're one of the more obese nations on Earth.

But I do love a good, healthy, Sunday Roast. Or Pork in cider. Yum - I make them properly, i.e. HEALTHILY. Why do half the people you meet who have English food constantly always drown it in GREASE?

ReputationRep:
    Your not doing it right.

Besides, your only saying this cause you live in England. Move abroad and you will crave some good old home cooked british food

France, Italy and Japan are my favourate countries as far as food is concerned mind you.

ReputationRep:
    British food is truely fantastic.
    Toad in the hole, fish and chips, battered sausages, roast, full english, battered mars bars, shepherd's pie, sandwiches, cornish pasties...it's amazing, I cannot understand people who dislike it.

ReputationRep:
    Battered mars bars are only a novelty. People only eat them once just to try it and to say they have.

If they eat them in the same way that someone would eat a normal supper (like maybe once a every few weeks or whatever) then they are clearly mad.

Battered toffee crips btw = amazing.

ReputationRep:
    Well cooked English food is as yummy as any other country's food.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slumpy)
    British food is truely fantastic.
    Toad in the hole, fish and chips, battered sausages, roast, full english, battered mars bars, shepherd's pie, sandwiches, cornish pasties...it's amazing, I cannot understand people who dislike it.
    :love:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ithinkitslametodance)
    Battered mars bars are only a novelty. People only eat them once just to try it and to say they have.

If they eat them in the same way that someone would eat a normal supper (like maybe once a every few weeks or whatever) then they are clearly mad.

Battered toffee crips btw = amazing.
    It's not a normal supper, it's a pudding!
    Admittedly, I don't tend to have them, as my normal chippys don't sell them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EskimoJo)
    :love:
    I couldn't help myself, my roast today was that good that I felt people should just hear about how good I think food is

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.