Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Apart from chips, and Marmite, I don't know any good, English food that I really like. Being a veggie makes it harder, too :p:

ReputationRep:
    Tea & Crumpets

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hamcock)
    u think English food is naff?! i think u should try home-style Chinese food before commenting! it's even more bland! only the restaurant food taste nice!
    that's if your parents can't cook XD

ReputationRep:
    ^ they can but they cnt bother to cook nice foods ¬.¬

ReputationRep:
    indian foods the best.

ReputationRep:
    I love Yorkshire puddings! And apple pie and custard!

ReputationRep:
    The thing with english cuisine is we don't associate it with english food. Traditionally, we do game particularly well (Pheasant, partridge, venison). Beef Wellington is far from a bad dish. Shepherd's pie and lancashire hotpot can easily be spruced up to posh gastronomy standards. Roast beef is amazing if done right. Dessert wise, crumbles and cakes are english and decent.

It isn't that we don't have decent food, it's that most the decent food we have is seen as posh and/or too expensive to cook as a regular day-to-day meal, or completely ignored for the tired argument of "fish & chips and chicken masala suck".

ReputationRep:
    Tikka Masala <3. Although I must say, Spanish/Mediterrenean food is the best. I consider myself lucky ;D

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Svenjamin)
    Shepherd's pie and lancashire hotpot can easily be spruced up to posh gastronomy standards
    I dont think they need "sprucing up" in my opinion, they're origins are as a peasants dish (like risotto for example), they're meant to tasty, wholesome and good for you, not to made into something poncy and pretentious.

ReputationRep:
    I agree, the Italian have the right idea in my opinion

ReputationRep:
    All food is rubbish except for Italian

ReputationRep:
    Sunday roast is delish if you do it right. What about the good old comforting foods of toad in the hole, shepherds pie, bangers and mash, fish and chips etc. They may not all be healthy (although you can make it healthy - we have plenty of veg served with roasts, shepherds pie, toad in the hole) or some fancy gastronomical creation but they are darn tasty!

ReputationRep:
    ive always said that if it wasnt for all the immigrants in this country, british food would be as dull as anything.

Thanks to asians, chinese, italian etc there is a greater range of food to eat in this country

though i do miss 'english' fish and chips.. i live in an asian area and they turned it into masala fish and chips.. its just not the same =(

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yusuf.T)
    ive always said that if it wasnt for all the immigrants in this country, british food would be as dull as anything.

Thanks to asians, chinese, italian etc there is a greater range of food to eat in this country

though i do miss 'english' fish and chips.. i live in an asian area and they turned it into masala fish and chips.. its just not the same =(
    How many Italians do you really see cooking in Italian restaurants though? Pizza Express, Ask, Strada etc. are 95% Polish.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like your roast dinner was a bit rubbish

Deccent roast dinners are really tasty... and toad in the hole... fish and chips... sponge puddings..it is good if it is made well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ewan)
    Your not doing it right.

Besides, your only saying this cause you live in England. Move abroad and you will crave some good old home cooked british food
    ^ Deffo have to agree with all that.

British food can be great; anyone who claims a nice, quality cut of meat with some fresh veg and roast potatoes cooked properly is "bland" or "horrible" seriously needs to have their taste buds checked out.

I'll admit a lot of (in my opinion good) British food is quite unhealthy, though. A full English Breakfast or something similar certainly won't do your body any favours.

But, to all those people who think "British food is naff": go to the states or some Eastern European country and try and say it then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apagg)
    I believe there are a number of curries with their origins in Britain
    On a side note, Cobra beer - a drink frequently served up in Indian restaurants and associated with the country of India - has never actually seen India.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Grapevine)
    But, to all those people who think "British food is naff": go to the states or some Eastern European country and try and say it then.
    Come on...American food might be unhealthy but it's typically bursting with flavour because people there won't touch it otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the.white.rabbit)

You know that's indian food....right?
    You know that chicken tikka masala was actually invented in Britain, don't you. Just like a lot of 'Italian' dishes were actually invented in America!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by riccoles)
    I think it was tongue in cheek...
    I can't be bothered reading the full thread to see if this has already been said but Chicken Tikka Masala is actually British. It was created in a Indian restaurant (apparently in Glasgow but not sure about that) to adapt to the British tastes because we liked a sauce with our meats, whereas Indians would just have it dry.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.