Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    LOVE ENGLISH FOOD!...

ReputationRep:
    Whoever is cooking your roast dinner's is clearly not doing it properly, because they are ******* amazing. :coma:

ReputationRep:
    English food is incredibly naff and yucky!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FormerlyHistoryStudent)
    You know that chicken tikka masala was actually invented in Britain, don't you. Just like a lot of 'Italian' dishes were actually invented in America!
    Yeah thanks. We've established that.

And to all the people saying home cooked chinese food is rubbish, you're not cooking it right. Egg fried rice for example: I bet you just cook some rice, then immediately fry it with some egg? You need to put it in the fridge overnight first.

ReputationRep:
    Good English food is very good:

Fish and Chips
    Chicken Tikka
    A Proper Roast Dinner

But you very rarely get GOOD English food.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Lu_sans)

Since when are brie cheese and baguettes British?

English breakfasts are the only good food to come out of England.

ReputationRep:
    What I love is all the puddings - bread and butter pudding, blackberry and apple crumble, rice pudding, Lardy Cake, Christmas pudding, mince pies, custard...
    When a roast is done properly, ie. lovely crispy roast potatoes, tender flavoursome beef/lamb/chicken etc., gravy, Yorkshire pudding, bread sauce, juicy vegetables, it is a thing of glory

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by one2three_abc)
    No...it's British. First made in Glasgow.
    Lasagne had origins in England before Italy. The problem with comparing cuisines over the world is that you will only know the ones that are marketed in supermarkets, which are often the best, whilst knowing about your own cuisine a lot more. European and Indian cuisines are largely overrated. Plenty of decent South American and African cuisines out there. As for me I'll be doing myself a Samoosi Yirakot soon. Made in Afghanistan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the.white.rabbit)

You know that's indian food....right?

It's actually not real Indian food. Tikka Masala is a British curry.

OP, my sunday roasts are awesome, you just need to buy good meat and be able to cook well.

ReputationRep:
    I agree. I hate sunday dinner tbh but I eat it when my parents or grandparents make it but it's not something I'd choose to eat. I like Shepards pie though, thats english i think? I love foreign food a few favourites being italisn lasagna, french chicken chasseur, indian chicken curry with fragrant rice, and morocan lamb tagine yum yum so many flavours in foreign food.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Honey*Bear*)
    I like Shepards pie though, thats english i think?
    Yep it is, prefer Lancs Hot Pot (with lamb not mutton), but shepards/cottage pie is fairly high up there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FormerlyHistoryStudent)
    What I love is all the puddings - bread and butter pudding, blackberry and apple crumble, rice pudding, Lardy Cake, Christmas pudding, mince pies, custard...
    Actually this is so right - we make bloody good puddings!!! This thread has soooo made me hungry!!:eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DMed)
    Yep it is, prefer Lancs Hot Pot (with lamb not mutton), but shepards/cottage pie is fairly high up there.
    Never had Lancs Hot Pot. Sometimes I use lamb instead of mutton in my shepards pie if i go to the butcher, but in supermarkets you can only usually get lamb with mutton. Cottage pie is nice too.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really think it's naff, it just has a different 'agenda' to other types of food. Some types use a large amount of spices, and so are full of flavour, for example, while English food is just wholesome, hearty, homely goodness. And a lot of meals can be eaten with gravy. Which is always a plus

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by la fille danse)
    Since when are brie cheese and baguettes British?

English breakfasts are the only good food to come out of England.

Its not but us english enjoy a good ploughmans!!

ReputationRep:
    Indian food is some of the most unhealthy food in the world. It's cooked in so much oil, that's why South Asians are at a higher risk of diabetes than White English people.

(Original post by riccoles)
    So I've just got back from the dining room after yet another Roast Beef Sunday tea.

This got me thinking, why am I actually eating this?
    I don't like it, it just tastes bland and isn't healthy in any way.

So I've been thinking of any English food that I do actually like and I'm struggling...

I would much rather be eating Portuguese, Spanish, Italian or Indian cuisine, not only because its healthier but it just tastes so, so much nicer.

It would be interesting to find out if anyone actually agrees with me when I say I don't like English food.
    The food here's fine; what you're eating just isn't being made properly or it's not being got from the right places.

And it's perfecty healthy, many English meals are a little meat and more vegetables.

We have an abundance of spices and foodstuffs here that aren't used, why not look on the Internet for some of those old, abandoned recipies?

ReputationRep:
    Right its been bugging me for a while now...what IS that top picture in Lu_Sans post??! I still have no idea :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sianeh)
    Right its been bugging me for a while now...what IS that top picture in Lu_Sans post??! I still have no idea :confused:
    Either a pie, or a slightly odd shaped Yorkshire pudding, or both? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YoSuis)
    I agree with you - with one exception

:coma:

But only when cooked in vegetable oil
    Ew :o:

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.