Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sianeh)
    Right its been bugging me for a while now...what IS that top picture in Lu_Sans post??! I still have no idea :confused:
    Some sort of pastry thing covered in mushy peas?? :confused: The only sort of flat thing I can think of is bubble and squeak. But I don't think it's that....

ReputationRep:
    ITS PIE AND BLOODY MASH!!! lol Are you's english?...cleary not.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's a bit hard to tell as it looks a bit...flat for a pie, that's all

ReputationRep:
    i thought the liquor would have given it away?

loveeeeee pie and mash

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lu_sans)
    i thought the liquor would have given it away?

loveeeeee pie and mash

mmmm. Pie, mash, peas and loads of gravy :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Missmeem)
    Tikka Masala <3. Although I must say, Spanish/Mediterrenean food is the best. I consider myself lucky ;D
    haha, well if you want to swap ways of life any time soon, I'm all ears

ReputationRep:
    I like the fact that we have a huge variety of international food in this country.

But traditional English food isn't bad at all. A roast dinner is yummy. And I reckon it's also fairly healthy, because you actually have a fairly balanced amount of veg, protein and carbs on your plate for once!

English puddings like crumbles are also great.

It's hardly one of the top cuisines of the world, but it's certainly not all bad!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I'm not a big fan of 'British food' - I'm not particularly one for high-carb, meat-based meals like pie or a roast dinner.

However - I think that fruit crumble is just the bees knees. It is the sexiest pudding possibly of all time.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing wrong with English food. OP is an unimaginative cook/has mumsies make everything for him

ReputationRep:
    There is no better place to eat than in the UK (the USA is up there, but their curry houses are godawful). We have the widest variety of cuisines available of any country in the world. For example: italian food is nice, but you get fed up with pizza and pasta after a couple of weeks. There is very little in the way of variety.

We also invented so much of the food eaten today.

Some combination of meat or fish, accomapied with potatoes and vegetables? We invented it
    Two bits of bread with something between it? We invented it

How many meals does that account for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    Some combination of meat or fish, accomapied with potatoes and vegetables? We invented it
    ... This is perhaps why I don't like British food; this is my idea of a food nightmare, haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doodahdoo)
    ... This is perhaps why I don't like British food; this is my idea of a food nightmare, haha.
    Really? It's such a versatile idea, I would have thought that everyone would like some form of m+p+v.

ReputationRep:
    Really? It's such a versatile idea, I would have thought that everyone would like some form of m+p+v.
    I don't eat any meat or fish, and find potatoes far too starchy and carby for my liking (apart from baby new potatoes in stir-frys) - there's always one :p:

ReputationRep:
    There is no better place to eat than in the UK (the USA is up there, but their curry houses are godawful). We have the widest variety of cuisines available of any country in the world. For example: italian food is nice, but you get fed up with pizza and pasta after a couple of weeks. There is very little in the way of variety.

There is a little bit more variety in Italian food than that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sundance_kid)
    There is a little bit more variety in Italian food than that.

This is true, you can also get a sandwich at lunch time. Provided you like salami and provolone sandwiches, you're good to go.

ReputationRep:
    toad in the hole
    crumpets and butter
    cup of tea
    yorkshire pudding and gravy
    apple crumble and custard
    eton mess
    scones and clotted cream
    fish and chips

how can you say these delicacies are 'naff'! stodgy, yes, unhealthy, yes...

but I don't think they should just be discredited. If I lived abroad I would miss them.

ReputationRep:
    This is true, you can also get a sandwich at lunch time. Provided you like salami and provolone sandwiches, you're good to go.
    I'm afraid this is true. After spending just a long weekend in Rome I never wanted to see another pizza/pasta/panini/gelati again.

ReputationRep:
    There is no better place to eat than in the UK (the USA is up there, but their curry houses are godawful). We have the widest variety of cuisines available of any country in the world. For example cheap acomplia: italian food is nice, but you get fed up with pizza and buy seroquel pasta after a couple of weeks. There is very little in the way of variety.

I like this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by allieee)
    I'm afraid this is true. After spending just a long weekend in Rome I never wanted to see another pizza/pasta/panini/gelati again.

Can you imagine if the only restaurants available in this country were chippys, toby carverys and greasy spoon cafes? Because thats the equivalent.

We shold be proud of our national cuisine, because unlike other European nations, we don't just rest on our laurels and produce the same stuff that we were eating 50 years ago.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by allieee)

The equivalent in this country would be if the only choice of restaurants available were chippies, Toby carveries, and greasy spoon cafes. Can you imagine that?

We should be extremely proud of our national cuisine in this country. Every other European country have rested on their laurels, and continue to eat the same narrow range of food that they ate 50 years ago, but with worse ingredients, sloppier preparation, and more ready meals (did you know the French eat considerably more ready meals per capita that the British?).

In direct contrast, here in Britain we continue to innovate and create new dishes and new traditions, and our diet and cuisine has never been more exciting and vibrant.

Anyone else who has recently visited Europe and been surprised and dismayed with the narrow range of food on offer will undoubtedly agree with me.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.