Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Come on, I'm sure there's more to Italian food in Italy than pizza, pasta and gelato. What about the sheer amount of coastline they have - all that fish and other seafood? I thought they ate a lot of meat in Italy too? Italy has a huge amount of pastries and desserts, as well.

forget where I read it but one theory is that britain was the 1st country to industrialise. british food was, in tudor times, seen as one of the most refined, innovative food with a high quality. 200 years later, people were torn from their rural roots and forced to live in urban slums on a scale not seen in the other european countries (french industrialisation was more gradual and dispersed). these new slum dwellers also had no other option than to eat food farmed on an industrial scale.

therefore we have become so used to industrially prepared food in a way europeans arent (greeks and italians being really averse to eating tinned foods, for example) and we have also been detached from agriculture in a way other countries havent. there are still plenty of inner city kids today who've never been to the countryside or seen a cow etc. as a result we are ignorant of what good quality food or ingredients are. in addition in the 50s british people were more accepting of the second industrialisation of food.

just look at the crap that supermarkets pass as bread, or olive oil, or vegetables etc.

plus out bad and homogenous climate narrowed the range of ingredients available
What's the best type of cheese?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.