Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do I get to know more girls? Watch

Hey all,

In all honesty, this issue has been bugging me for years, but I think this is probably the right time to do something about it. Essentially, I'm now going into my 2nd year of university, and just reflecting on who my friends have been this past year-nearly 90% of them have been guys. A couple of my friends pointed this out to me recently and It got me thinking. Even at school & VI form, all my friends used to be guys. Its not that I'm dieing for a serious dating relationship, its more of an issue of balance (I dont really know how else to put this, so i hope it kind of makes sense). So yeah, i want to get to know more girls, just to be friends maybe more ;P

Any suggestions on plan of action would be greatly appreciated

ReputationRep:
    Maybe focus on meeting 'people' in general. Expand your social circle. From a girl's perspective I can tell you that we can tell the guys who are on a mission to 'meet girls'. If you just focus on going out with groups of people you'll make new friends - some of which might be female! Success!

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Hey all,

In all honesty, this issue has been bugging me for years, but I think this is probably the right time to do something about it. Essentially, I'm now going into my 2nd year of university, and just reflecting on who my friends have been this past year-nearly 90% of them have been guys. A couple of my friends pointed this out to me recently and It got me thinking. Even at school & VI form, all my friends used to be guys. Its not that I'm dieing for a serious dating relationship, its more of an issue of balance (I dont really know how else to put this, so i hope it kind of makes sense). So yeah, i want to get to know more girls, just to be friends maybe more ;P

I'm exactly the same, I think it's due to being from a catholic school/college in my case! any more ideas????!

ReputationRep:
    Visit a prostitute regularly (same one) and start giving her extra money. Then suggest a dinner out. If it goes well ask her to introduce you to her friends.

Or you could pretend to be gay.

ReputationRep:
    Play gay best friend without being gay. Talk to some girls, and show you have absolutely NO interest in them sexually. That means no flirting etc. It will also vastly reduce awkward moments and stuff. Be good friends with them. They'll introduce you to their friends, and make friends with them too. Whatever you do, do not go out/sleep/date these girls. Then if you want to meet new girls on a night out etc, take your girl-friends with you.

ReputationRep:
    Try and expand your social circle, do your friends have a lot of friends that are girls? try organising stuff but including the girls in this.. etc etc :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n0c0ntr0l)
    Play gay best friend without being gay. Talk to some girls, and show you have absolutely NO interest in them sexually. That means no flirting etc. It will also vastly reduce awkward moments and stuff. Be good friends with them. They'll introduce you to their friends, and make friends with them too. Whatever you do, do not go out/sleep/date these girls. Then if you want to meet new girls on a night out etc, take your girl-friends with you.
    what's this theory again. keep on forgetting
    like if you're seen with a girl you become more attractive to others
    oh yeah pre-selection

ReputationRep:
    I would say I have the opposite problem, about 90% of my friends are girls. I have to say I'm not complaining but it would be nice having a bit more proper guy time in my life rather than trundling around after them in shops or similar.

ReputationRep:
    You want to know more girl-friends and maybe more.. To me that just sounds like you will be picky with your options on selection of girls and become a right player by doing this.

Well thats what it sounds to me. If you failed with one girl..does that mean you'll go after another, by becoming friends and maybe more?

I'd say talk to girls but don't be hasty in all the flirting, clearly gives off a good read what your after. You may have a different viewpoint but others may think your after something else.

ReputationRep:
    1. Stalk them on facebook.
    2. Befriend a pimp.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 9MmBulletz)
    what's this theory again. keep on forgetting
    like if you're seen with a girl you become more attractive to others
    oh yeah pre-selection
    Not a theory, it's like this:

Why does everyone want an ipod? Everyone else has one

Why do people pay £60 for an abercrombie hoody, cause everyone else wants to have one.

Science calls it the near exposure effect.

ReputationRep:
    Another way to describe it would be like this,

Lets say cinderella walks into the club. And she is the most stunning girl ever etc. But if you look at her you turn to stone. How would you be able to tell where she is in the room without looking at any part of her?

The same effect happens when a guy walks into the club with a bunch of hot girls.

ReputationRep:

Lets say cinderella walks into the club. And she is the most stunning girl ever etc. But if you look at her you turn to stone. How would you be able to tell where she is in the room without looking at any part of her?

The same effect happens when a guy walks into the club with a bunch of hot girls.
    oh i think your saying that it turns heads/draws attention to yourself and makes you high value?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 9MmBulletz)
    oh i think your saying that it turns heads/draws attention to yourself and makes you high value?
    Essentially it just gets you noticed. Reverse scenario, average girl surrounded by a lot of handsome guys, I bet you'll think she's hotter than if you saw her on her own or with other hot girls.

ReputationRep:

y'see
    i just dont get this :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lil' Flo)
    y'see
    i just dont get this :confused:
    Basically, you can tell where she is, because she is the centre of attention, everyone else is looking her way. Girls are looking thinking: why is SHE here, Omgosh she's so pretty, wow etc etc

Guy's are looking thinking damn she's fine etc etc.

And Because everyone else is looking you will look too. And anyway, we are social creatures, so we ;ike to do what others have done. If girls see that lots of girls like oyu, they'll see you as safe and want to get to know you too. etc.

ReputationRep:
    Basically, you can tell where she is, because she is the centre of attention, everyone else is looking her way. Girls are looking thinking: why is SHE here, Omgosh she's so pretty, wow etc etc

Guy's are looking thinking damn she's fine etc etc.

And Because everyone else is looking you will look too. And anyway, we are social creatures, so we ;ike to do what others have done. If girls see that lots of girls like oyu, they'll see you as safe and want to get to know you too. etc.

oh right thanks for the explanation
    so. the OP shud do what his guy says (n0c0ntr0l)

he knows his stuff :yes:

i might even take the advice

ReputationRep:
    OP - I never knew any girls until I started my second year at uni. It's the hero's way.

It will indeed just be a case of meeting *people*, and then slightly trying to be friends with the girls more than the men.

If you want to meet them one-on-one then just look out for suitable opportunitie where you can gauge their interest. I've met two lovely girls who work in local shops, just from going in by chance one day, and then it's quickly apparent if they think you're good looking.

Working behind a bar is pretty good as well, if you get a chance. I volunteer at a local venue that's kind of a charity, and I've made loads of friends from there. Even just one or two, and it's enough then to go and speak to them and be introduced to their friends.

You may have to adjust your approach to girls in general - I am naturally very reserved and quite formal when meeting people. It's not a matter of being shy, but I simply don't think it's very right to be all flirty and ghey right off the bat - it's just not my character. But, in this day and age, you have to expressly show interest pretty quickly or girls tend to think you're a bit of a weirdo.
    So analyse your behaviour when you meet a girl. Even if you like her, do you stay quite stiff and formal? You might have to make a concious effort to show some interest, even if it doesn't come naturally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hey all,

You haven't explained whether or not you are male or female?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wellisntitfor)
    If you want to meet them one-on-one then just look out for suitable opportunitie where you can gauge their interest. I've met two lovely girls who work in local shops, just from going in by chance one day, and then it's quickly apparent if they think you're good looking.
    So you telling me that just by popping in regularly you have become on first name speaking terms?

(Original post by wellisntitfor)
    So analyse your behaviour when you meet a girl. Even if you like her, do you stay quite stiff and formal? You might have to make a concious effort to show some interest, even if it doesn't come naturally.
    Stiff? Hmmm, in what way? :scratch:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 6, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.