Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    The use of horsepower to describe a car's characteristics in order to sell it will soon be illegal, much like the outlawing of pounds/ounces/other imperial measurements.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGimpMan)
    The use of horsepower to describe a car's characteristics in order to sell it will soon be illegal, much like the outlawing of pounds/ounces/other imperial measurements.
    Um link to this, doesn't sound true at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Snips)
    Sheep-power?
    Or shiney-ness

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaccyG)
    O its hard to explain what i mean.

You wouldnt for example measure a boat in whalepower it just seems outdated.
    Well of course you wouldn't, that's just be silly now wouldn't it.

They're also measured in Horsepower.

ReputationRep:
    because it's a generalised consumer that a consumer can directly compare to give a vague comparison to verious car's performance. anyone who knows better will delve into other figures, but generally speaking, people can compare a 200bhp car to a 100bhp one and see that it will outperform it. It gives an average performance figure based on the revs and torque of an engine, whereas figures such as 'lbs/ft of torque @ xxx RPM'' can mean nothing to your average consumer. because bhp takes into acount revs and torque, its not as useless a figure as you'd think.. giving my grandad torque figures of a mondeo at 236 lbs/ft and a then a v6 mg with 176 lbs/ft but then explaining that the mg would be quicker but not necesarily when mid range yadda yadda yadda will confuse your aveage pay lip service to cars type consume.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaw)
    because it's a generalised consumer that a consumer can directly compare to give a vague comparison to verious car's performance. anyone who knows better will delve into other figures, but generally speaking, people can compare a 200bhp car to a 100bhp one and see that it will outperform it. It gives an average performance figure based on the revs and torque of an engine, whereas figures such as 'lbs/ft of torque @ xxx RPM'' can mean nothing to your average consumer. because bhp takes into acount revs and torque, its not as useless a figure as you'd think.. giving my grandad torque figures of a mondeo at 236 lbs/ft and a then a v6 mg with 176 lbs/ft but then explaining that the mg would be quicker but not necesarily when mid range yadda yadda yadda will confuse your aveage pay lip service to cars type consume.
    no it doesnt, the BHP figure stated is simply the maximum amount of power an engine can flow. Hence why the Honda boys think there engines are as good as 6 cylinder and even some V8 equivalents!

ReputationRep:
    I understand horsepower. I know that 400 bhp will be fun and I know that 50 bhp will be soul destroying. It allows you to gauge how a car is likely to feel. If somebody said that their car was running "about 298280 watts" I wouldn't know if they had a nitro-fuelled dragster or a Nissan Micra. Plus, I'd think they were a ****. People understand the current measure - so why on earth change?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sync)
    I understand horsepower. I know that 400 bhp will be fun and I know that 50 bhp will be soul destroying. It allows you to gauge how a car is likely to feel. If somebody said that their car was running "about 298280 watts" I wouldn't know if they had a nitro-fuelled dragster or a Nissan Micra. Plus, I'd think they were a ****. People understand the current measure - so why on earth change?
    Well, weather they liked it or not our parents had to change their measurements. Modern cars WILL be electric and kilowatts is a better measurement for that, its a better translation between other appliances and electricity'ness.

It will become the norm, just a matter of when. And MPH will also change to KPH :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lara C.)
    Well, weather they liked it or not our parents had to change their measurements. Modern cars WILL be electric and kilowatts is a better measurement for that, its a better translation between other appliances and electricity'ness.

It will become the norm, just a matter of when. And MPH will also change to KPH :eek:
    Officially, I've no doubt we'll change. But our generation will have grown up with MPH and BHP and I suspect we'll stick to it when discussing such matters. Just as if somebody asks how tall I am, I don't reply "182.88 cm" I reply "6 foot". Though I agree that if we go down the *shudder* electric route we might have to reconsider!

ReputationRep:
    no it doesnt, the BHP figure stated is simply the maximum amount of power an engine can flow. Hence why the Honda boys think there engines are as good as 6 cylinder and even some V8 equivalents!
    yeah but to be calculated, it uses rpm and torque is what I'm getting at, averaging high torque low rpm engines and low torque high rpm engines. using the same example look at v6's compared to a vtech lump if you see what I'm getting at.. if we only compared top engine speed youve got a 9k honda over a 6.5k v6, if you compare torque only you get a totally different story, so bhp is generally used to give a 'more balanced' view to the consumer imo.. it's a calculated figure rather than an actual statistic, much like a ratio as opposed to someting thats raw measured..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGimpMan)
    proof ? or go and get back under your bridge

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sync)
    I know that 400 bhp will be fun and I know that 50 bhp will be soul destroying.
    Not strictly true.

My Beetle, with a 40hp 1300 with a 1300 gearbox (low ratios, runs out of gears / revs at 70mph could easily keep up with plastic corsas and so on up until I reached 4th gear. Mostly due to having holes in the floor, no structural integrity, being RWD/rear engined giving great traction, the low ratio gearing and the 700kg weight.

When I fitted the 60hp twin carbed 1600, it became hilarious to drive. The chassis dynamics aren't that great, making corners scary. It didn't need first gear to pull away, and because the back end just wouldn't break traction under acceleration (in any gear) it was a real hoot to drive round town.

In comparison, a driving my friends 400bhp+ skyline round town feels large and dull. Sure, it can go 70mph, but it felt safe at that speed. My Beetle could scare passengers going round corners at under 30mph

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tofufi)
    Not strictly true.

My Beetle, with a 40hp 1300 with a 1300 gearbox (low ratios, runs out of gears / revs at 70mph could easily keep up with plastic corsas and so on up until I reached 4th gear. Mostly due to having holes in the floor, no structural integrity, being RWD/rear engined giving great traction, the low ratio gearing and the 700kg weight.

When I fitted the 60hp twin carbed 1600, it became hilarious to drive. The chassis dynamics aren't that great, making corners scary. It didn't need first gear to pull away, and because the back end just wouldn't break traction under acceleration (in any gear) it was a real hoot to drive round town.

In comparison, a driving my friends 400bhp+ skyline round town feels large and dull. Sure, it can go 70mph, but it felt safe at that speed. My Beetle could scare passengers going round corners at under 30mph
    Yep, you're quite right - low powered cars can be a hoot. I was just making a rather generalised comment which I should have probably phrased better. My Range Rover is hilarious to drive round twisty roads at 30mph. If I stuck to 30mph in the BMW, I'd die of boredom!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaw)
    yeah but to be calculated, it uses rpm and torque is what I'm getting at, averaging high torque low rpm engines and low torque high rpm engines. using the same example look at v6's compared to a vtech lump if you see what I'm getting at.. if we only compared top engine speed youve got a 9k honda over a 6.5k v6, if you compare torque only you get a totally different story, so bhp is generally used to give a 'more balanced' view to the consumer imo.. it's a calculated figure rather than an actual statistic, much like a ratio as opposed to someting thats raw measured..
    It doesnt give an average figure, you cant have BHP without torque because its the turning of an engine with torque that results in a BHP figure.

You could have a 9k Honda lump with very little torque producing the same BHP as a 3.5 V8 that can only reach 5k.

So theres no averaging about it, its quite simple the maximum amount of work an engine is capable of doing. If you want an average, well balanced picture then you need to look at the torque and power graph.

ReputationRep:
    vtec just kicked in yoooooooooooooooooooooooo

All about sub 70 HP cars. they are just too fun to drive nice and slow does it

ReputationRep:
    It doesnt give an average figure, you cant have BHP without torque because its the turning of an engine with torque that results in a BHP figure.

You could have a 9k Honda lump with very little torque producing the same BHP as a 3.5 V8 that can only reach 5k.

So theres no averaging about it, its quite simple the maximum amount of work an engine is capable of doing. If you want an average, well balanced picture then you need to look at the torque and power graph.
    reread the post, I didnt say toque figures were calculated with averages at all..

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 7, 2009
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.