The Student Room Group

How can I get out of £3000 debt before uni?

Any suggestions welcomed (unless they're stupid ones like "go on the game," or "sell a kidney".)

I have a £3000 debt from a bad business decision and I'm starting uni in September. There are literally no jobs in my town (I've even tried running round the local office blocks and asking if they need a cleaner), I have nothing worth selling on ebay (except this computer, which will get me around £300...and I kinda need it for uni!) and no bank will give me an overdraft, credit card or loan due to my bad credit rating.

If I don't clear at least a significant chunk of this before I start uni, it's going to hang over me like a black cloud...and god knows who I'm going to be able to survive, starting uni already £3000 in debt!

Any ideas? Anyone been in a similar situation?
Reply 1
Are you good at poker or any gambling event? You can't lose :smile:
jamesafc
Are you good at poker or any gambling event? You can't lose :smile:

Wow, you're a genius! Thanks!
Ok, so now I'm £6000 in debt after blowing a shed load of cash on online poker. Anyone else able to assist?
Reply 4
Haha, did you honestly just take that advice or what?

Whilst you're at it, I heard Nigerian businessmen are probably the type of guys you should be looking for. They'll help you out.
Reply 5
Perhaps you could try looking for work elsewhere, a bit further away? Perhaps you could look out for seasonal work, like apple picking? Or talk to your local social service or whatever and ask them for advice?
Sorry I can't be more helpful...
Do the same thing I am. Get a full-time job and three part-time jobs and slog your ****ing nuts off. Nothing in life comes easy.
Reply 7
a serious suggestion might be to try a charity fundraising job like Wesser. Basically, if you're desperate and you're willing to get out on the streets and sign up loads of people to charites (the more you sign the more you earn) you could earn £1k+ in about 4 weeks. But it's all dependant on how charismatic you are and how much people you sign up. You've also got to live out for the job.

I'm in a bit of debt too, and I was looking into it, although I decided not to go to the interview in the end because I can't really move out right now.
Reply 8
Go to uni, get an overdraft & use £1250 to pay off part of the debt (if thats possible with your rating?). Work work work and pay the rest off... You could pay it off in a year if you work hard
Reply 9
FiveFiveSix
Do the same thing I am. Get a full-time job and three part-time jobs and slog your ****ing nuts off. Nothing in life comes easy.

so it's you hogging all the jobs then :hmmm: :tongue:
Have you tried agency work? Perhaps offer to work in further areas than your current locality. Obviously this will mean greater travel costs but surely earning money to reduce your indebtness is better than not at all.
In the month and a half before uni, you might be able to pay off £1000 of this. Then like suggested before if you are granted a student account with overdraft facility pay off as much as possible with this to reduce your interest on the current debt. Find a job at university, even if it pays £100 a week you can easily clear this in a year and have a bit extra to help sustain a social life.
Reply 11
talk to the consumer credit agency or csa it's a free debt advice line and a charity, you may not be able to pay it back they will negotiate with the bank an amount you pay, which can be £5 a month or so. Have a look on internet.

Latest

Trending

Trending