Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Helloo

Does anyone know if it is possible to study A levels at college and do a degree with the open university at the same time? Also would it be worth doing a second degree at a 'brick' uni afterwards?

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    There's nothing to stop you doing A levels at college while studying for an OU degree, although I'm not sure why you'd want to bother with A levels if you're doing a degree?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lozzabel493)
    Helloo

Does anyone know if it is possible to study A levels at college and do a degree with the open university at the same time? Also would it be worth doing a second degree at a 'brick' uni afterwards?

Thank you
    The OU try to prevent you from over stretching yourself and would probably want to discuss your plans with you.
    It isn't worth looking at doing a second degree after an OU one and I think you'll find that second degrees cost more. If you would rather not have an OU degree then you could look at getting your credits/points transferred to a brick uni, but check that the brick uni you have in mind would accept the points from the courses your planning on taking.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the process of finding out what level of study with the OU is acceptable as substitution for A levels when applying to a brick uni. Not sure if you need the A levels in order to get into uni at a later date so thought mentioning my situation might be of relevance.

My university of choice has replied, stating that they are reviewing their policy on OU admissions and currently applicants are decided on an individual basis, with OU study sometimes being accepted. The OU replied (with regards to what equivilises as A levels with OU study) stating that courses with them are above the level of A levels and my 60 point course counts as the first year of university. I will be going to an open day with my university of choice to find out the options and will report back.

If this isn't relevant to you OP then just lemme know and I will refrain from hijacking your post.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lincs_b)
    The OU try to prevent you from over stretching yourself and would probably want to discuss your plans with you.
    It isn't worth looking at doing a second degree after an OU one and I think you'll find that second degrees cost more. If you would rather not have an OU degree then you could look at getting your credits/points transferred to a brick uni, but check that the brick uni you have in mind would accept the points from the courses your planning on taking.
    Thank you I think your right there's no point in doing a second degree really and I don't mind getting a degree with the OU I think it'd be quite a goodthing to do so maybe I could do one evening A level in Psychology just because I have an interest in it not for really an academic side and then wouldn't really be stretching myself

(Original post by ½+½)
    I'm in the process of finding out what level of study with the OU is acceptable as substitution for A levels when applying to a brick uni. Not sure if you need the A levels in order to get into uni at a later date so thought mentioning my situation might be of relevance.

My university of choice has replied, stating that they are reviewing their policy on OU admissions and currently applicants are decided on an individual basis, with OU study sometimes being accepted. The OU replied (with regards to what equivilises as A levels with OU study) stating that courses with them are above the level of A levels and my 60 point course counts as the first year of university. I will be going to an open day with my university of choice to find out the options and will report back.

If this isn't relevant to you OP then just lemme know and I will refrain from hijacking your post.
    Thank you this would be really helpful because in the future I may transfer to a brick uni depending on how I find studying at home, so do you not have A levels and 'brick' unis will consider points from OU courses instead? Sorry its so confusing :o:

ReputationRep:
    I have no A levels and can't financially afford to go to college to study them and keep a roof over my head. My particular university of choice does accept some students OU points in place of A levels but the area I want to study prefers those with chemistry A level. So I can just continue to study chemistry with the OU and keep applying until they take me basically. They may accept my 60pts general science alone or I may have to get a good way through a chemistry degree before they will consider me. I am hoping to get a clearer idea at the open day I'm attending and will post my findings here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ½+½)
    I have no A levels and can't financially afford to go to college to study them and keep a roof over my head. My particular university of choice does accept some students OU points in place of A levels but the area I want to study prefers those with chemistry A level. So I can just continue to study chemistry with the OU and keep applying until they take me basically. They may accept my 60pts general science alone or I may have to get a good way through a chemistry degree before they will consider me. I am hoping to get a clearer idea at the open day I'm attending and will post my findings here.
    Thank you that's really helpful I think I'll just stick with doing my degree at the OU as I don't think I'll be able to afford a 'brick' uni :o:

ReputationRep:
    I definitely can't afford it... if I can get into the course I want I'll be getting into lots of debt. Will be 6 years of study.. full time :zomg: but it will be sooo good and is probably one of those routes of education that gives the best guarentee of a job as it's part academic, part vocational.

So looking forward to finding out more at the open day in September. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ½+½)
    I definitely can't afford it... if I can get into the course I want I'll be getting into lots of debt. Will be 6 years of study.. full time :zomg: but it will be sooo good and is probably one of those routes of education that gives the best guarentee of a job as it's part academic, part vocational.

So looking forward to finding out more at the open day in September. :yep:
    :goodluck: at the open day!! I hope they take the points you've done in account and then you can have an amazing time at uni! Im definitely going to stick with the open uni for now as I work part time and am going to do a Psychology part time A level as i checked with the ou the it won't affect the funding

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lozzabel493)
    :goodluck: at the open day!! I hope they take the points you've done in account and then you can have an amazing time at uni! Im definitely going to stick with the open uni for now as I work part time and am going to do a Psychology part time A level as i checked with the ou the it won't affect the funding
    Thank you. I haven't done the applicable points yet, will be starting them in October... been studying for 'practice' and general knowledge with the OU in the mean time though. It will just be good to get some sort of solid plan together from talking to both students and university staff.

I've been working full time for almost 4 years... it will be strange to go from that to full time education again (when it happens!). :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Ok, back from the open day.

Bristol University do accept OU study in place of A levels but it depends on the degree you want to study and the OU courses you will do.

S104 is the right course for applying to medicine but I am seriously considering applying for neuroscience, attaining that degree and then going in for graduate entry into medical school. The open day was FULL of high acheiving A level & GCSE kids and their proud (pushy?) parents and I think anybody who isn't a top scoring A level student or a mature person whose worked in the care sector for years and done an access course... well, it's going to be like trying to climb everest in a pair of flip flops... not easy.

I went to see the finance people and they were unsure of whether my OU support received will affect my eligibility for full student loans/grants etc. I'm sure I read somewhere that they are unrelated but need confirmation. They have taken my details to get back to me and I will contact the OU to find out also. Once again, will post back with anything I find out.

ReputationRep:
    This is kinda the situation I am in, I've registered to do a 60 point course, I only have GCSEs A-C grade from school. I am 20 just now, I have 4 years of working experience, but I really want to eventually get enough to go to a proper 'brick' uni full time. But I cannot afford to not work full time,while at college, so OU seems my only choice, I just hope I can get into uni!

xxx
    xx
    x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jemz999)
    This is kinda the situation I am in, I've registered to do a 60 point course, I only have GCSEs A-C grade from school. I am 20 just now, I have 4 years of working experience, but I really want to eventually get enough to go to a proper 'brick' uni full time. But I cannot afford to not work full time,while at college, so OU seems my only choice, I just hope I can get into uni!

xxx
    xx
    x
    What do you plan to study and which uni do you want to go to?

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure I read on the website recently that the Open University say you must get permission from them if you are also studying with another educational institution at the same time...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aimeelala)
    I'm sure I read on the website recently that the Open University say you must get permission from them if you are also studying with another educational institution at the same time...
    I tried to register for a course just as college course was coming to an end but the OU said that I needed a letter from my tutor at my college to say that this was allowed. This is assuming that the person is under 18 though. I believe if you are 18 or over then you don't need to but I would try to confirm this with the OU.

ReputationRep:
    If you're already at uni you won't get funding for OU courses, not sure if that applies to colleges.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest I'll happily move, if it means getting to a uni full time.

I haven't decided exactly what kinda degree I want to do, I'm doing social sciences course with the OU, since it covers quite a few subjects, I guess I'll have to start contacting different universities to find out their view on OU courses!

x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jemz999)
    To be honest I'll happily move, if it means getting to a uni full time.

I haven't decided exactly what kinda degree I want to do, I'm doing social sciences course with the OU, since it covers quite a few subjects, I guess I'll have to start contacting different universities to find out their view on OU courses!

x
    Sorry to chip in on here, but if you wanted to do a social science as a degree in the end. Then you might as well stick with studying with the open university, it would work out cheaper.

As it states on the OUs student page:

"There's a whole range of financial help available and the good news is that if you live at home with your parents and you earn under £16,510*,you could qualify for full support and avoid student debt"

As in when you do 30 or 60 point courses, you don't have to pay/get support! Your parents income is not assessed yours is. And if it less that stated above you qualify for support. Just make sure you fill in relevant forms etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ½+½)
    Ok, back from the open day.

Bristol University do accept OU study in place of A levels but it depends on the degree you want to study and the OU courses you will do.

S104 is the right course for applying to medicine but I am seriously considering applying for neuroscience, attaining that degree and then going in for graduate entry into medical school. The open day was FULL of high acheiving A level & GCSE kids and their proud (pushy?) parents and I think anybody who isn't a top scoring A level student or a mature person whose worked in the care sector for years and done an access course... well, it's going to be like trying to climb everest in a pair of flip flops... not easy.

I went to see the finance people and they were unsure of whether my OU support received will affect my eligibility for full student loans/grants etc. I'm sure I read somewhere that they are unrelated but need confirmation. They have taken my details to get back to me and I will contact the OU to find out also. Once again, will post back with anything I find out.

If you were still interested in chemistry then i think you like this

http://2 plus 2 scheme

you do 2 years of U study, then do 2 years at a normal uni. hope this helps for anyone who reads this

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.