Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Girls - would it put you off if your boyfriend wasn't very 'manly'...? watch

Hi,

I'm just wondering how girls feel about a guy being a similar age to them, and not very protective/manly.

Would it put you off if he was pretty skinny and looked like he couldn't really defend himself, or you?

How about if he didn't really take the initative to take YOU out on dates and seemed a bit more boyish than a man who is meant to look after you...

Is this important?

ReputationRep:
    Aww, is this one of your insecurities, OP?

ReputationRep:
    Your not very good with advice are you Mr Advice?

ReputationRep:
    It wouldn't bother me that much if I really really liked him. However, I do prefer manly guys :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i-Citizen)
    Your not very good with advice are you Mr Advice?
    :laugh:

I have to be brutally honest as well. It's all part and parcel of offering good advice. Here, I was implying for the OP to accept who he is.

ReputationRep:
    I prefer men who are manly but not to the point of wanting to floor anyone who looks at him/me.

My sister had a boyfriend who could have easily been a girlfriend, he was girlier than me, which is saying something. He was also a massive douchebag so I'm glad she dumped him. But yeah...manly men, YAY!

ReputationRep:
    Ohhhh but I don't want to be manly =( They're all so annoying.

(Original post by Mr Advice)
    Aww, is this one of your insecurities, OP?

I'm female and no, it isn't.

ReputationRep:
    I'd hope a happy medium is what alot of women would want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm female and no, it isn't.
    Just asking. :shakehand:

ReputationRep:
    being manly isn't all that important as long as the person isn't spineless, imo.

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    not at all. the only thing manly about my boyfriend is his stubble

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi,

I'm just wondering how girls feel about a guy being a similar age to them, and not very protective/manly.

Would it put you off if he was pretty skinny and looked like he couldn't really defend himself, or you?

How about if he didn't really take the initative to take YOU out on dates and seemed a bit more boyish than a man who is meant to look after you...

Is this important?
    well they wouldnt be my "type" but each to their own

ReputationRep:
    Urmm, I think it would if he was too wimpy, not gonna lie. i get irritated with people who have no backbone

ReputationRep:
    Manliness really doesn't bother me, I'd much rather have someone who was affectionate, open and sensitive tbh

ReputationRep:
    I may be shouted at for this, but yes, it would bother me. I like to think my guy could defend himself and me if the need arose, and it makes me feel safer to be with a manly guy too

(Original post by jporter1)
    Manliness really doesn't bother me, I'd much rather have someone who was affectionate, open and sensitive tbh

That's really nice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeytk)
    I'd hope a happy medium is what alot of women would want.
    What? Doris Stokes with a smile on her face?

ReputationRep:
    I prefer softer, more emotional guys to manly men who are your typical 'sex, violence, drinking, grr' types. Give me open-ness, honesty and comfort over defensive manliness any day.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 7, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.