Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Girls - would it put you off if your boyfriend wasn't very 'manly'...? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greghouse)
    Speaking from a guys point of view, I'd assume a boyfriend should be manly or the girl would want a girlfriend ... I honestly find the responses from the girls saying the opposite a bit odd but interesting ...

But a guy being muscly doesn't necessarily equal being masculine. Hmm.

ReputationRep:
    Speaking from a guys point of view, I'd assume a boyfriend should be manly or the girl would want a girlfriend ... I honestly find the responses from the girls saying the opposite a bit odd but interesting ...
    There's a difference between not being manly and being feminine. I probably couldn't go out with someone feminine or a bit camp, but skinny etc isn't a bad thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hana_87)
    But a guy being muscly doesn't necessarily equal being masculine. Hmm.
    Oh not at all, I'm not hugly muscley (just fit and toned ) and I don't think that being manly has anything to do with that.

What I was saying some of the girls in this tread are saying the won't\don't mind if their guys isn't manly and I find that odd because of my own view.

You don't have to be muscly to be able to stand up for yourself and your girl. And you don't have to be muscly to be able to take a bit of iniative with your life etc ...

ReputationRep:
    Oh not at all, I'm not hugly muscley (just fit and toned ) and I don't think that being manly has anything to do with that.

What I was saying some of the girls in this tread are saying the won't\don't mind if their guys isn't manly and I find that odd because of my own view.

You don't have to be muscly to be able to stand up for yourself and your girl. And you don't have to be muscly to be able to take a bit of iniative with your life etc ...
    :yes:
    I agree...I can't understand that other girls don't mind a man who is camp or effeminate at all. I just don't see where the attraction lies.

ReputationRep:
    i never thought unmanly guys would bother me but they do, i thought i liked this guy but the more i spent time with him the less manly and unattractive he got to me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nouvelle_vague)
    I prefer men who are manly but not to the point of wanting to floor anyone who looks at him/me.

My sister had a boyfriend who could have easily been a girlfriend, he was girlier than me, which is saying something. He was also a massive douchebag so I'm glad she dumped him. But yeah...manly men, YAY!
    You would lvoe me then, everyone says i am very manly.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, it'd really bother me personally.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it would put me off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheJudge)
    You would lvoe me then, everyone says i am very manly.
    Considering you regard every woman who is not a virgin a 'feminist slut' I some how doubt that, very much...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi,

I'm just wondering how girls feel about a guy being a similar age to them, and not very protective/manly.

Would it put you off if he was pretty skinny and looked like he couldn't really defend himself, or you?

How about if he didn't really take the initative to take YOU out on dates and seemed a bit more boyish than a man who is meant to look after you...

Is this important?
    It's not so much about being skinny but confidence, it really is that simple with women.

If you don't have it at first fake it, and if your worried about your weight join a gym, which may help with your confidence.

All the best brother.

(Original post by Saff123)
    It's not so much about being skinny but confidence, if you don't have it at first fake it, and if your worried about your weight join a gym, which may help with your confidence.

All the best man.

I'm a girl talking about a guy - not a skinny guy worried about protecting a girl.

ReputationRep:
    Yes it does put me off.

ReputationRep:
    No.
    & I find guys who are unable to show their emotions, really off-putting. :/

ReputationRep:
    Well, there are different kinds of manly men. You can't just say being "manly" is all about acting tough and running on testosterone.

Different males act in different ways.

A manly man of lower quality puts out a facade of being obviously "hard", reckless, and dominant, whereas better men have emotional maturity, courage, and sensibility.

You can hardly say that men don't feel emotion too. And it's ok to show them, just not relay feelings which make you look vulnerable in public :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    i think it's just personal preference really. there are some that would prefer a more manly guy and some that wouldn't.

personally, i prefer a manly man :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Advice)
    Just asking. :shakehand:
    this guy is pretty funny..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i-Citizen)
    Your not very good with advice are you Mr Advice?
    lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi,

I'm just wondering how girls feel about a guy being a similar age to them, and not very protective/manly.

Would it put you off if he was pretty skinny and looked like he couldn't really defend himself, or you?

How about if he didn't really take the initative to take YOU out on dates and seemed a bit more boyish than a man who is meant to look after you...

Is this important?
    You're essentially asking if whether it's better to date men or boys?
    I can swing both ways.

ReputationRep:
    I don't ever expect him to take the initiative or defend/protect me .. Quite the opposite; I'll be defending him.

I can imagine us being attacked and him pushing me towards the attacker, shouting "take her" and running for his own life :eek2:

And he'd be the one crying after sex saying that was the best, most passionate moment of his life and sobbing his heart out ..

See, I'm not judgmental like that. Just in love :heart:

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who rejects me purely for not being manly enough knows where to go, quite frankly.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 7, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.