Turn on thread page Beta

Girls - would it put you off if your boyfriend wasn't very 'manly'...? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hmm when you say not very manly do you mean my friends are not too sure if hes gay or straight type of thing? Or like doesn't look too manly and doesnt insist on having a slab of beef for dinner every night?

If its the first one then I'm put off a bit, if its the second one then no

ReputationRep:
    I wouldnt mind about the skinny bit, but not having the iniative to take me out on dates would piss me off. There wouldnt be much in going out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RunWithMe)
    I may be shouted at for this, but yes, it would bother me. I like to think my guy could defend himself and me if the need arose, and it makes me feel safer to be with a manly guy too
    Since you live in the UK (in the Western World) - the need for him to 'defend' you is not really likely to arise.

We have something called 'the police' in this part of the world to perform such a function as well.

If your logic is correct being a single woman (who is supposedly incapable of 'defending herself') mus be suicidal.

squish.

ReputationRep:
    I have it pretty good; he's really strong, is a black belt, but also is sensitive - on the first day I went out with him he cried because he thought that I thought he'd cheated on me :L

ReputationRep:
    I'd like someone who knows when to be a strong, protective, manly man and knows when to be a caring, emotional, sensitive man.

ReputationRep:
    I prefer kind of feminine looking guys. Matthew Gray Gubler is my ideal man *swoon* :love:

That said, I don't want them to actually look like/be a woman. I have a vagina of my own, ta. I don't need another one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi,

I'm just wondering how girls feel about a guy being a similar age to them, and not very protective/manly.
    Would it put you off if he was pretty skinny and looked like he couldn't really defend himself, or you?
    How about if he didn't really take the initative to take YOU out on dates and seemed a bit more boyish than a man who is meant to look after you...
    Is this important?
    If I was going out with a guy I'd prefer him to be slightly older than me. I'm 16 and my ideal date age would probably be 18. If he was the same age he'd have to look manly and protective would be better. I think it's sexy for a man to be protective.

It would put me off slightly if he didn't appear protective, however I'd never judge a guy by that alone.

I'd feel he wasn't interested if he didn't take the initiative to ask me out on a date to be honest.

hope that helps somewhat!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nouvelle_vague)
    Considering you regard every woman who is not a virgin a 'feminist slut' I some how doubt that, very much...
    I didn;t say they were all feminists or all sluts. I said i didn't like slutty girls and i don't like feminists.

ReputationRep:
    I love manly guys and wouldn't like a guy who was more wimpy than manly....so yeah i guess i'd be put off if my boyfriend wasn't manly!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheJudge)
    I didn;t say they were all feminists or all sluts. I said i didn't like slutty girls and i don't like feminists.
    Yeah you did

I don't really understand your problem with feminists. Please explain, I'm genuinely interested.

Also, virgins don't like sluts either; so if you are the type to slut around but want a sweet innocent virgin, you're not gonna have much luck cos she's probably wise to you :p: I understand why you don't like sluts, but assuming that all girls who have sex are sluts is a bit over the top.

ReputationRep:
    :eek: Wouldn't touch him with a bargepole. I need my men to be men! :yes:

Saying that, I AM capable of defending myself, I suppose that aspect isn't so much of an issue - not that my weak female non-strength would hold up for long - but if he was all wimpy and girly? Nu-uh.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah you did

I don't really understand your problem with feminists. Please explain, I'm genuinely interested.

Also, virgins don't like sluts either; so if you are the type to slut around but want a sweet innocent virgin, you're not gonna have much luck cos she's probably wise to you :p: I understand why you don't like sluts, but assuming that all girls who have sex are sluts is a bit over the top.
    I don;t like feminists because they stand for much of what i disagree with.

They attack the idea of family claiming that it turns women into slaves, they try and split families up and get children to be raised by single parents.

They endorse the notion of girls going out drinking and taking drugs all the time. It has created a culture of violent aggresive loud women.

It has destroyed the notion of motherhood, in the old days being a mother was a beautiful thing and now its just to get a free flat and benefits.

It attacks the idea of masculine males and trys to promote effeminate men. It attacks young boys pushing notions that girls are superior and that society would exist without them, it also trys to femenise young boys.

The list is endless. It represents everything i hate.

ReputationRep:
    A spoke to a very nice chick about this exact same topic and do you know what she said she'd do if it became an issue...

Swap her guy for a stronger man.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheJudge)
    I don;t like feminists because they stand for much of what i disagree with.

They attack the idea of family claiming that it turns women into slaves, they try and split families up and get children to be raised by single parents.

They endorse the notion of girls going out drinking and taking drugs all the time. It has created a culture of violent aggresive loud women.

It has destroyed the notion of motherhood, in the old days being a mother was a beautiful thing and now its just to get a free flat and benefits.

It attacks the idea of masculine males and trys to promote effeminate men. It attacks young boys pushing notions that girls are superior and that society would exist without them, it also trys to femenise young boys.

The list is endless. It represents everything i hate.
    I respect the fact that you hate the side of feminism that attacks men, because I do too. I also agree with you on the 'turning women into slaves' thing, although I think that's quite an outdated notion and not many people take it seriously.

It may destroy the notion of motherhood, if there are women who choose to adhere to it. But for a lot of these single mothers who get flats and benefits, especially young girls, they dont necessarily want to be alone. They may not have wanted a child, it just happened. Where is their knight in shing armour, huh? It's all well and good to blame feminism on single mothers who claim flats and benefits, but there also has to be some blame placed on men.

Another thing I dislike about this is that you're grouping together all feminists as being man haters. I consider myself to be quite feminist in a sense that I put myself first, I am and hope to continue to be independent, but I love men. I love manly men, I love effeminate men, I love fathers, grandfathers, uncles, random ragies you see on the street. I love all men.

Not all feminists represent everything you hate. I think its more the latter day feminists or women who just generally dislike men who feel that way. But then again, with your sweeping generalisations its not really a surprise that there are certain feminists who hate men... :rolleyes:

Can i just point out that i don't mean he looks or acts like a woman, cries or anything like that.

Looks wise i just mean he's good looking but very skinny - doesn't really look like he'd do particularly well in a fight nor does he make me feel particularly slim either, lol.

And personality wise i meant as great as he is, funny and down to earth he isn't the type who would swap a night with his mates to do something romantic with a girl (i don't think) and he just seems quite young in comparison to the guys i've been out with before.

ReputationRep:
    I fancy geeks so I only go out with pretty skinny guys that look like they couldn't really defend themselves or me :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi,

I'm just wondering how girls feel about a guy being a similar age to them, and not very protective/manly.

Would it put you off if he was pretty skinny and looked like he couldn't really defend himself, or you?

How about if he didn't really take the initative to take YOU out on dates and seemed a bit more boyish than a man who is meant to look after you...

Is this important?
    My bf had a eating disorder and I could kick his ass, so no :p:

He should take you out on dates though, depending on cash flow. Girls don't love bad boys, they love attention from good looking guys..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princesschickenbelly)
    I fancy geeks so I only go out with pretty skinny guys that look like they couldn't really defend themselves or me :yes:
    I'm going out with a ginger computer geek :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmie19)
    I'm going out with a ginger computer geek :woo:
    Ooooh the best kind

ReputationRep:
    I respect the fact that you hate the side of feminism that attacks men, because I do too. I also agree with you on the 'turning women into slaves' thing, although I think that's quite an outdated notion and not many people take it seriously.

It may destroy the notion of motherhood, if there are women who choose to adhere to it. But for a lot of these single mothers who get flats and benefits, especially young girls, they dont necessarily want to be alone. They may not have wanted a child, it just happened. Where is their knight in shing armour, huh? It's all well and good to blame feminism on single mothers who claim flats and benefits, but there also has to be some blame placed on men.

Another thing I dislike about this is that you're grouping together all feminists as being man haters. I consider myself to be quite feminist in a sense that I put myself first, I am and hope to continue to be independent, but I love men. I love manly men, I love effeminate men, I love fathers, grandfathers, uncles, random ragies you see on the street. I love all men.

Not all feminists represent everything you hate. I think its more the latter day feminists or women who just generally dislike men who feel that way. But then again, with your sweeping generalisations its not really a surprise that there are certain feminists who hate men... :rolleyes:
    Why should a man be the knight in shining armour for women with a child from another man. This is another thing i dislike about feminists (well the middle class female teachers who dominate our schools) it pushes the notion particularly to young boys that their job in life is to please women. Men need to look after their own interests aswell.

I think men are not given the right to decide whether they want a child or not, women can have an abortion men have no place to decide whether they want the child aborted or not and they have no way or relinquishing financial ties to a child they didn't want. Men should have the right within a few weeks of hearing they have conceived a baby to reject financial responsibility to the child much like women do.

Which also brings me onto another point...we see women earning elss than men and it is a huge deal, but when boys perform worse in schools than girls its a great stride forward and we learn afterall girls are better than boys..... what? Surely we should be addressing this inbalance or discrimination in schools?

Feminism is man-hating, you appear to just want equal rights between men and women whereas feminism is the aim of geting extra rights for women often at the expense of men. Thats a fact.

Any woman who hates men has probably got some psychological issues.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 7, 2009
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.