Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Girls - would it put you off if your boyfriend wasn't very 'manly'...? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nouvelle_vague)
    I respect the fact that you hate the side of feminism that attacks men, because I do too. I also agree with you on the 'turning women into slaves' thing, although I think that's quite an outdated notion and not many people take it seriously.

It may destroy the notion of motherhood, if there are women who choose to adhere to it. But for a lot of these single mothers who get flats and benefits, especially young girls, they dont necessarily want to be alone. They may not have wanted a child, it just happened. Where is their knight in shing armour, huh? It's all well and good to blame feminism on single mothers who claim flats and benefits, but there also has to be some blame placed on men.

Another thing I dislike about this is that you're grouping together all feminists as being man haters. I consider myself to be quite feminist in a sense that I put myself first, I am and hope to continue to be independent, but I love men. I love manly men, I love effeminate men, I love fathers, grandfathers, uncles, random ragies you see on the street. I love all men.

Not all feminists represent everything you hate. I think its more the latter day feminists or women who just generally dislike men who feel that way. But then again, with your sweeping generalisations its not really a surprise that there are certain feminists who hate men... :rolleyes:
    Def agree with this. Femintist don't break families up, the parents do that.

I found out my guy mate has a 3 week old baby today. I was mad :mad: Because he has in effect ruined the girl's future and he has no job to pay for the child and he could leave the girl, though they're going out... for now..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greghouse)
    Oh not at all, I'm not hugly muscley (just fit and toned ) and I don't think that being manly has anything to do with that.

What I was saying some of the girls in this tread are saying the won't\don't mind if their guys isn't manly and I find that odd because of my own view.

You don't have to be muscly to be able to stand up for yourself and your girl. And you don't have to be muscly to be able to take a bit of iniative with your life etc ...
    I love the swimmer look :coma:

But, yeah, you could stand up for a girl too, by backing her up, or telling off a rude guy..and true

ReputationRep:
    well if you love him it woudnt much bother you
    to be honest im all for manly men but if i was to fall for a guy who was kinda
    on the boyish side then i guess thats how its meant to be,
    you cant change him to your likings he is who he is
    to be honest it sounds that
    you dont feel comfortable with him as your insecure of who he is
    but maybe consulting him about his way and he may improve in the
    whole dating thing (:

He doesn't have to be hard, but i feel like we look like brother and sister....i'd like people to be able to tell that he's my boyfriend, if you know what i mean!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princesschickenbelly)
    Ooooh the best kind
    Def And he makes effort to meet up, call, etc

Better then my last bf

(Original post by APRILfox)
    well if you love him it woudnt much bother you
    to be honest im all for manly men but if i was to fall for a guy who was kinda
    on the boyish side then i guess thats how its meant to be,
    you cant change him to your likings he is who he is
    to be honest it sounds that
    you dont feel comfortable with him as your insecure of who he is
    but maybe consulting him about his way and he may improve in the
    whole dating thing (:

That was kinda hard to read! Ummm yeah i know what you mean but i like him as a person, just think he's pretty different to me and also what i'm used to, argh.

ReputationRep:
    girls i thought i'd just let you know i spent today smashing/digging up a garden path.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmie19)
    Def And he makes effort to meet up, call, etc

Better then my last bf
    Unfortunately you can get the heard core geeks that are so wrapped up in their games and computers and solitude that they end up being absolute w****r boyfriends. Like my ex who pretended he was really busy with his dissertation so he could play online games instead of seeing me

ReputationRep:
    Nah I dont think it matters. I think there are other more important traits like honesty & humour

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately you can get the heard core geeks that are so wrapped up in their games and computers and solitude that they end up being absolute w****r boyfriends. Like my ex who pretended he was really busy with his dissertation so he could play online games instead of seeing me
    Aww :hugs: The only hardcore games geek I know is a girl lol! Always says the game on fb... So ended bad?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheJudge)
    Why should a man be the knight in shining armour for women with a child from another man. This is another thing i dislike about feminists (well the middle class female teachers who dominate our schools) it pushes the notion particularly to young boys that their job in life is to please women. Men need to look after their own interests aswell.

I think men are not given the right to decide whether they want a child or not, women can have an abortion men have no place to decide whether they want the child aborted or not and they have no way or relinquishing financial ties to a child they didn't want. Men should have the right within a few weeks of hearing they have conceived a baby to reject financial responsibility to the child much like women do.

Which also brings me onto another point...we see women earning elss than men and it is a huge deal, but when boys perform worse in schools than girls its a great stride forward and we learn afterall girls are better than boys..... what? Surely we should be addressing this inbalance or discrimination in schools?

Feminism is man-hating, you appear to just want equal rights between men and women whereas feminism is the aim of geting extra rights for women often at the expense of men. Thats a fact.

Any woman who hates men has probably got some psychological issues.

I dont think you seem to realise what you're preachingon about to be honest, Judge. Twice I've said now that not all women should be grouped into the man hating feminist role, because not all women are the man hating feminist types.

I never said that a man should be the knight in shining armour for a woman who had a child with another man! Of course not, but I do think that a man who is stupid enough to not wear a condom should be made to suffer the consequences of his fruitfulness. If you're gonna have sex with someone you don't really care about you should be wearing a condom, anyway, just as its important for a woman to take precautions in terms of contraceptives too. Both have to face the consequences of their mistakes, and if a woman chooses to have a child, then the father of that baby should definitely step up to the plate and be a man. Instead of a little boy, quite like yourself, Judge.

I don't really know where you're getting your information from to be honest, I don't see women earning less than men as a great deal, yeah its unfair and there are women who fight for that equality, but as I've said before, not all women are like that so don't group them into the angry man hating feminist group. As for your girls doing great in school being a great stride forward...uhm, what? Since when?! Of course girls doing well in school is great, but because guys don't perform as well as girls isn't reason to start harping on about feminism. I think the excellent performance of any child in education is a stride forward, to be honest.

Maybe women who hate men do have psycological issues, but any man who condemns and ****s off a woman who is proud of her sexuality and groups every woman in the 'feminist' category and calls all women who have sex sluts also has some psychological issues...

I will reiterate though, I can understand why you wouldn't like man-hating feminists because I don't really see the point in it either, and I respect your views in relation to those types of women, but as I've said before, grouping all women into that category is definitely wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Girly men are the way forwards. Peace and Love.

ReputationRep:
    i'm probably more manly than my boyfriend
    no seriously, he does do stuff like take me out/get me presents and look after me when i'm upset or not feeling very well, but other than that he's pretty feminine.

i like it actually because it means that i don't have to put up with all that 'macho' stuff.. he's good at telling me what clothes look nice and he likes a bit of a gssip! we do boyish things together too though, like playing video games.. so basically we meet each other in the middle.

he's pretty skinny too, but not overly so. he's not really big enough to 'protect' me as such but it doesn't matter 'cause i'm mouthy enough to fend for myself he does still make me feel girly and safe sometimes though, which is important.

ReputationRep:
    Aww :hugs: The only hardcore games geek I know is a girl lol! Always says the game on fb... So ended bad?
    The thing that made me end it was him telling me he didn't want me to go to Alton Towers with him and his friends because he would have to go on all the rides with me instead of hang with his friends... I ended it on the phone right then and there. Lots of other things happened to get to that point obviously, but that was the last straw.

Him not loving me, saying he didn't think love existed and getting annoyed that that upset me was quite a bigy

Last communication I had with him was a txt, after he had hung up on me for no reason and I had txt him calling him a selfish prick, he replied with 'You were being a ****. In fact you are a ****. Now piss off' That was a week ago.

ReputationRep:
    Def agree with this. Femintist don't break families up, the parents do that.

I found out my guy mate has a 3 week old baby today. I was mad :mad: Because he has in effect ruined the girl's future and he has no job to pay for the child and he could leave the girl, though they're going out... for now..
    Thank you! I don't really understand why men seemto bring up the feminist issue so much on this board...

"My girlfriend did this..."
    "FEMINIST DUMP HER MATE!"

Uhm...I just don't get it to be honest.

Also, I think in a situation like that, both parties are to blame, depending on the circumstances. If you're both stupid enough not to take all precautions necessary to avoid unwanted pregnancy, then you should both suffer the consequences and make adult decisions. If its a case of a genuine mistake in spite of best efforts to avoid concieving, then that's a totally different story, but should still be dealt with in a mature manner. It's definitely not fair that women only have the choice of: abortion or having a child.

Abortion is controversial and are viewed by some as being cruel. As well as the fact that they have terrible effects on the more compassionate woman's mental wellbeing. But, having the child and being in a single parent situation means not just you but your child is at a disadvantage. I am a firm believer in the fact that a child needs both parents in their lives from a young age, I also think that children should only be concieved in well balanced, financially secure situations. My parents were married and adored one another, but their financial situation throughout my young childhood made them struggle at times, and I think its unfair to put any family through that. That's just my opinion though... I suppose it does differ entirely on the situation and people in question.

I'll stop rambling now

ReputationRep:
    The thing that made me end it was him telling me he didn't want me to go to Alton Towers with him and his friends because he would have to go on all the rides with me instead of hang with his friends... I ended it on the phone right then and there. Lots of other things happened to get to that point obviously, but that was the last straw.

Him not loving me, saying he didn't think love existed and getting annoyed that that upset me was quite a bigy

Last communication I had with him was a txt, after he had hung up on me for no reason and I had txt him calling him a selfish prick, he replied with 'You were being a ****. In fact you are a ****. Now piss off' That was a week ago.
    Aww more :hugs: needed! Dw, my ex cancelled his date with me, because not one could make it out and he de-invited me to the prom :mad: So know how you feel, I felt ***** for a week after the break up!

ReputationRep:
    I dont think you seem to realise what you're preachingon about to be honest, Judge. Twice I've said now that not all women should be grouped into the man hating feminist role, because not all women are the man hating feminist types.

I never said that a man should be the knight in shining armour for a woman who had a child with another man! Of course not, but I do think that a man who is stupid enough to not wear a condom should be made to suffer the consequences of his fruitfulness. If you're gonna have sex with someone you don't really care about you should be wearing a condom, anyway, just as its important for a woman to take precautions in terms of contraceptives too. Both have to face the consequences of their mistakes, and if a woman chooses to have a child, then the father of that baby should definitely step up to the plate and be a man. Instead of a little boy, quite like yourself, Judge.

I don't really know where you're getting your information from to be honest, I don't see women earning less than men as a great deal, yeah its unfair and there are women who fight for that equality, but as I've said before, not all women are like that so don't group them into the angry man hating feminist group. As for your girls doing great in school being a great stride forward...uhm, what? Since when?! Of course girls doing well in school is great, but because guys don't perform as well as girls isn't reason to start harping on about feminism. I think the excellent performance of any child in education is a stride forward, to be honest.

Maybe women who hate men do have psycological issues, but any man who condemns and ****s off a woman who is proud of her sexuality and groups every woman in the 'feminist' category and calls all women who have sex sluts also has some psychological issues...

I will reiterate though, I can understand why you wouldn't like man-hating feminists because I don't really see the point in it either, and I respect your views in relation to those types of women, but as I've said before, grouping all women into that category is definitely wrong.

I agree you should always wear a condom, unless you know they are clean and they are on contraception. Unless ofcourse you are trying for children.

Men should not be obligated to raise children they don;t want, if we have equal rights men should have the right to shun parental including financial responsibilty just as women have that option.
    I am sorry calling someone a boy for not wanting to pay a large sum of his money for the next 18 years of his life for a child he did not want and had no choice in is ridiculous, girls have a choice whether they want the child or not... men in present society have no choice and this needs to be resolved. Atleast if we claim to ahve equal rights.

You will find boys lag behind girls and the only response appears to be ''girls are fnatastic and smarter than boys''. Were this situation reversed feminists would be outraged. This just proves feminists don;t want equal rights but infact special rights.

How is sleeping around being proud of your sexuality thats just being a ****. Not all women are feminists just the worst ones. Most women these days are sluts, i call it the 'sex and the city' generation. I hate women like this and i hate the fact many of them will go onto have irresponsible children my tax money will have to raise.

I havent said all women are feminists or ****s, but there are not many quality women left. Infact i would suggest if you wanted a decent woman perhaps you would have to look to other countries.

ReputationRep:

He sounds just like my ex. Scary.

(Original post by raisin.)
    he does still make me feel girly and safe sometimes though, which is important.

How does he do that?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! I don't really understand why men seemto bring up the feminist issue so much on this board...

"My girlfriend did this..."
    "FEMINIST DUMP HER MATE!"

Uhm...I just don't get it to be honest.

Also, I think in a situation like that, both parties are to blame, depending on the circumstances. If you're both stupid enough not to take all precautions necessary to avoid unwanted pregnancy, then you should both suffer the consequences and make adult decisions. If its a case of a genuine mistake in spite of best efforts to avoid concieving, then that's a totally different story, but should still be dealt with in a mature manner. It's definitely not fair that women only have the choice of: abortion or having a child.

Abortion is controversial and are viewed by some as being cruel. As well as the fact that they have terrible effects on the more compassionate woman's mental wellbeing. But, having the child and being in a single parent situation means not just you but your child is at a disadvantage. I am a firm believer in the fact that a child needs both parents in their lives from a young age, I also think that children should only be concieved in well balanced, financially secure situations. My parents were married and adored one another, but their financial situation throughout my young childhood made them struggle at times, and I think its unfair to put any family through that. That's just my opinion though... I suppose it does differ entirely on the situation and people in question.

I'll stop rambling now
    Lol, I'm a girl so biased :p:

I agree they are both to blame, but they are too young. What about the morning after pill? She hasn't got to look forward to know...

And yes, I agree with you, to a extent. I also think children should be bought up in a stable loving environment, however, if I baby needs to be aborted for one reason or another, it should be. Since it's man's way of a miscarriage, I think it's ricilious (sp?) that religion is against it. But I can see why you're for it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 7, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.