Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I suffer from anxiety and depression, and during exam time I adopted two guinea pigs thinking that the company would lift my mood. It did. In fact, I'd say that getting Ollie and Elliot has improved my life more than therapy or drugs. I am still on the medication and will be for some time but I strongly feel that if it were not for the fact that I now have my guinea pigs to look after I would have made another attempt on my life by now.

Earlier on in the year I applied to Leeds uni and got a conditional offer. I have chosen my halls of residence etc. Even though I am not sure I am ready to go to uni this year, everything is in place if I do choose to go. The trouble is, I am aware that halls of residence do not allow students to keep pets. It might sound silly and pathetic to some people, but without my guinea pigs I don't think I would be able to cope. It's almost like they are an unofficial part of my treatment.

I know that there isn't really a solution to my problem, but does anybody have any advice? Maybe somebody in a similiar position?
    Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    Even in your circumstances I highly doubt you would be allowed to keep them, I have heard of people keeping small animals unofficially but I wouldn't recommend this. Not really much I can suggest except if they are such a big part of your life that you could look for private accommodation that would accept them.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm... That does sound very serious, serious enough for you to be given special permission, in my opinion at least. Have you tried talking to the University about this matter? Perhaps it would be worth double checking to see if they would allow you to keep them. I think you really should be allowed to take them with you.

At least after the second year, you could move out of halls, and you could keep pets no problem. So... at least there's a light at the end of the first year tunnel, right? Don't give up!

ReputationRep:
    Get a webcam for them, my mom did that with the chickens at the bottom of the garden, it was called 'chook-cam'

but yeah, speak to the Uni, hopefully they should understand. If not maybe like a nearby petting zoo or something so you could go visit them and other people could be cheered up by them too

ReputationRep:
    Halls don't allow pets. One of the reasons my friend and I chose private student housing is because I have an aquarium and she has rats...we'd miss them otherwise. Even we wouldn't be allowed cats or dogs though :-p

ReputationRep:
    In my rented house last year my housemates had a couple of hamsters and will this year have a rabbit, with the permission of our landlord. In his words - "as long as it's in a cage....."

ReputationRep:
    i go to college in the city centre of manchester and pass 100s of halls on my way in and alot of them clearly have hamsters etc but as a person who keeps guineapigs you are being very very cruel keeping them in such a small space with no outside access, they are not as small as hamsters and require hutches which, if in nearly all rooms at unis would not fit

ReputationRep:
    my friend had a bunny, her flat were all safe about it and it just bopped about the kitchen and chilled....but she was in proper lax halls

ReputationRep:
    uni halls get really funny on this, i won't recommend it, and most uni's will say no, you can try and ask the uni and tell them about your circumstances

ReputationRep:
    You could ask, but it's extremely unlikely they'd agree.

If having regular contact with animals has been beneficial, are there other ways you could get that, though? For example, you could volunteer at a local animal shelter, or something like that - you'd be able to get the benefit of having animals as part of your life (plus it would look good on your CV).

The alternative would be to look for other accommodation, but you might find that would be a less supportive environment for your first year than living in halls would be, so you should probably think it through before making a final decision.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up sugar, or salt?
    Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Downing Students

Universal Student Living

“Over 25 years of perfecting the student accommodation experience. Downing Students. Accommodation Made for you”

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.