Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I don't know what to think after finding out... watch

Basically, for the past 6 months, my girlfriend and I have been having a good time in our relationship, it's only when she broke up with me recently that she told me that she was still in love with her ex. The memories I have of the past 6 months are associated with much happiness and satisfaction. However, hearing that about her ex has tainted these previously happy memories because now I question why she hung out with me, when we did stuff together was she harbouring feelings for the ex? etc. I just don't know how to handle those memories, whether to keep them as 'happy' ones except I know that underneath she was thinking a very different thing, or give up on those memories as being false.

Would love to hear your suggestions TSR.

Heart-broken.

ReputationRep:
    That's awful, but i highly doubt she would've been able to stay with you and appear happy for 6 months whilst still thinking about her ex. At the worst, you can apply what she said to the last month of your relationship.

ReputationRep:
    Just forget about her and move on. It's not worth dwelling on. But, people can like more than one person at a time - just because she wasn't over an ex doesn't mean that she was thinking about him all the time when she was with you.

ReputationRep:
    The fact that she still cares for her ex doesn't mean she didn't have a great time with you! Just think about it; why would she have been with you for 6 months even while she still has feelings for someone else? It prooves how much she cares, and what a great time she must've had. Why would it otherwise take her 6 months to be honest with you?
    You really shouldn't let this spoil the happy memories that you have of being with her; why would she possibly have faked being happy with you? Try to look at as what it was: a good time, that unfortunately didn't last because she fell in love with someone else first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Claudia_)
    The fact that she still cares for her ex doesn't mean she didn't have a great time with you! Just think about it; why would she have been with you for 6 months even while she still has feelings for someone else? It prooves how much she cares, and what a great time she must've had. Why would it otherwise take her 6 months to be honest with you?
    You really shouldn't let this spoil the happy memories that you have of being with her; why would she possibly have faked being happy with you? Try to look at as what it was: a good time, that unfortunately didn't last because she fell in love with someone else first.
    This. Plus you were happy when you were her at the time, and sometimes being happy and having happy memories is the best thing in life. You've got this when you think back to your relationships. Trust me over time, you will appreciate the sheer fact of experiancing having such a close relationship with someone.

ReputationRep:
    It's your fault, you're the one to blame, it's your mistake you took it so seriously. Take this as a valuable lesson, don't take girls/relationships more seriously than they really are. Those that don't not only enjoy it more but in such circumstances they're able to move on instantly.
    What has giving it so much importance gotten you? She screwed you over, and you're heartbroken. Move on, this is just part of it get used to it. Not every girl and relationship is ideal, the sooner you realise this the better.

I took it really seriously because I was really into her.

Also, the break-up was quite bad in that she got-off with the ex. Which is why she broke-up with me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I took it really seriously because I was really into her.

Also, the break-up was quite bad in that she got-off with the ex. Which is why she broke-up with me.
    The memories you have of you two being together are not false...they may seem very painful now when you relive everything in your mind like questioning the things she said were actually geniune etc. You definitely need closure because you didn't deserve this..it just happened to be unfortunate. Maybe in time, those fond memories you have being with her won't be as hurtful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davy-Jones)
    It's your fault, you're the one to blame, it's your mistake you took it so seriously. Take this as a valuable lesson, don't take girls/relationships more seriously than they really are. Those that don't not only enjoy it more but in such circumstances they're able to move on instantly.
    What has giving it so much importance gotten you? She screwed you over, and you're heartbroken. Move on, this is just part of it get used to it. Not every girl and relationship is ideal, the sooner you realise this the better.
    Whaaaawhahohahohhh...

Just scrolled past your sig and had to do a double take.

:lolwut: :ahee: :nosebleed: :drool: Nice one, man.

*reads your advice*

Yeah, pretty much. Us girls freakin' suck.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 2, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.