Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

what should i wear to my first day of university?! Watch

ReputationRep:
    i'm doing a fashion media & promotion degree next year, and i'm wondering what to wear.

i'm absolutely not the sort out person who rolls out of bed, sticks my hair up into a pony tail and wears sweats and a hoodie. i wear full make-up, do my hair properly & usually wear a smart outfit & heels.

but because i'm going to a university where i don't know anyone, i'm a little worried about getting dressed up incase people think i'm high maintenance or a snob, especially seeming i'm moving from up north, near manchester, to brighton!

help/suggestions?! xoxo

ReputationRep:
    Nothing.

Make a good impression

ReputationRep:
    im wondering too! i moved from glasgow down to north london and im doing psychology, i did sports for the past 2 years so im tryingt o smarten up a bit,
    im thinking jeans with heels and a kind of light jumper thing, u know what i mean not a tshirt?
    so ur smart but not too dolled up, as well chances are ull get roped into some team building thing aswell lol always fun.

hope this helps x

ReputationRep:
    wear something you feel comfortable in, and that says something about yourself. if you take pride in your appearance then good for you!! i wouldnt wear sweats, hoodies and no make up either!! xxx

ReputationRep:
    surely I'd be more worried about looking high maintenance or a snob if i was moving from down south to up north? Or eh?
    and since you're doing fashion it would probably be part of any related job anyway?
    so yeah just wear what you normally wear I wouldn't overthink it...

ReputationRep:
    Jeans and nice top? I don't think it matters too much, just make sure u wear a smile hahah how cheesy was that

ReputationRep:
    I dunno really, wear what you usually wear, just dress it down a bit without the heels? It'll be much easier to get around and move in your stuff if you're not in heels :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chigz32)
    Nothing.

Make a good impression
    same

ReputationRep:
    Just wear what you normally do. If it makes you most comfortable, go for it. It'd be worse to make a false impression.

ReputationRep:
    I'm wondering the same sort of thing... I reckon just wear something pretty but practical

ReputationRep:
    Be yourself.

ReputationRep:
    go halfway, something a bit dressy but with mid heels?
    I'm doing the same next year! Near Manchester to near Brighton. Scaaaaary x
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I wore slim, bootcut jeans, a white blouse, heels (mine were red ), and full make up, with hair perfectly coiffured.

Keep it smart, keep it simple, keep it looooooooooovely!

ReputationRep:
    Wear nothing. If something as trivial as this is seriously bugging you are you really sure you are ready for university?

ReputationRep:
    nopee, and i actually live an hour further north than manchester, in preston. it's north west, near liverpool etc, and brighton's right at the bottom of the country!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by literature_lover)
    go halfway, something a bit dressy but with mid heels?
    I'm doing the same next year! Near Manchester to near Brighton. Scaaaaary x
    where are you going to? as in what uni? xo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex-R)
    Wear nothing. If something as trivial as this is seriously bugging you are you really sure you are ready for university?
    You can so tell you're a guy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charlotterg5)
    You can so tell you're a guy
    well he does have the wee blue sign beside his name

ReputationRep:
    Wear what you'd usually wear. Particularly if you're doing a fashion course it's almost guaranteed that the other people doing it will get fairly dressed up too, even if it's just for the first few days. What you wear can be an extension of your personality, so don't go wearing something you wouldn't normally wear just to ''make the right impression'' because ultimately people will make friends with you for who you are as a person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smilesandhairdye)
    where are you going to? as in what uni? xo
    I wanna go to Chichester, I think. Not sure, though. I need CCC for my course but I'm predicted ABB, so my teachers are advising me against it. I love the place though!
    Applying to Oxford Brookes, too x

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.