Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

what should i wear to my first day of university?! Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nikki-77)
    well he does have the wee blue sign beside his name
    ahahah I know, I meant that he has the typical guy attitude
    btw, John Moores? Are you by any chance staying in North Western, I think I remember you off that thread...

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I saw many people dressed smartly on the first day of uni, most people were just dressed casually. Wear what you feel comfortable in.

ReputationRep:
    I was just going to wear my everyday clothes. :erm:
    This thread is worrying me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charlotterg5)
    ahahah I know, I meant that he has the typical guy attitude
    btw, John Moores? Are you by any chance staying in North Western, I think I remember you off that thread...
    lol ah yes.
    yeye, john moores and no not stayin there, im stayin in grand central but i did write on that thread

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by literature_lover)
    I wanna go to Chichester, I think. Not sure, though. I need CCC for my course but I'm predicted ABB, so my teachers are advising me against it. I love the place though!
    Applying to Oxford Brookes, too x
    haha, balls to the teachers! i went to a grammar school, where the majority of people end up doing medicine/science/law/maths, so doing a fashion subject was shocking to them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smilesandhairdye)
    haha, balls to the teachers! i went to a grammar school, where the majority of people end up doing medicine/science/law/maths, so doing a fashion subject was shocking to them.
    Lol, I see your point I should just do what makes me happy.
    Good luck at Brighton! x

ReputationRep:
    Clothes are always a good option.

ReputationRep:
    It seems absurd that people worry so much about what to wear on their first day of uni - a few days in and you'll be more than happy to roll in to uni looking more like a scruff - other people aren't going to care what you wear. You shouldn't put pressure on yourself to make sure you're wearing a fabulous outfit every day at uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smilee172)
    It seems absurd that people worry so much about what to wear on their first day of uni - a few days in and you'll be more than happy to roll in to uni looking more like a scruff - other people aren't going to care what you wear. You shouldn't put pressure on yourself to make sure you're wearing a fabulous outfit every day at uni.
    :yep: This. I was going to decide that morning!

ReputationRep:
    I thought clothes didn't matter, rolled up to my course one day in an Xbox tshirt jeans no make up and the like , other days i would wear nicer clothes do my hair and make-up, how I felt in the morning really.

Presumed people on a Japanese course would be at least a little nerdy, or at the very least not so into fashion. Never really got on with many people. Got told almost a year later by a real "frenemie" (love that word!) that people thought I was weird because of the way I dressed "especially that Xbox tshirt"

Here I was thinking it is what is on the inside that counts, and to sit in a 9am lecture trying to study wasn't meant to be a fashion parade! (I got dressed up nice for nights out!)

I then went to college, kept the same dress sense and personality, and made tons of mates.

So you really can't judge how these things are going to go, all I know is, if you stick to being yourself, no matter what you still feel true and i'd rather be unpopular than have dressed how they wanted me to everyday just so they would be nice, i don't want friends like that anyway..who does?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nikki-77)
    lol ah yes.
    yeye, john moores and no not stayin there, im stayin in grand central but i did write on that thread
    Ahh cool, well I might see you around anyway come September

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charlotterg5)
    Ahh cool, well I might see you around anyway come September
    got facebook?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarylAnne)
    im wondering too! i moved from glasgow down to north london and im doing psychology, i did sports for the past 2 years so im tryingt o smarten up a bit,
    im thinking jeans with heels and a kind of light jumper thing, u know what i mean not a tshirt?
    so ur smart but not too dolled up, as well chances are ull get roped into some team building thing aswell lol always fun.

hope this helps x
    For your course its likely to be like any other uni student style - comfort; trainers/boots with jeans and a casual top/hoodie/something slightly smart.

However OP is doing fashion so probably people will be putting a lot more thought/effort in.

ReputationRep:
    Wear whatever you want, especially on your first day. No-one particularly cares, just make sure your hair and makeup are nice! If there are any boys in your flat, beware that wearing heels may become a topic of ridicule later on :p:

It's crazy... at my uni, I stand out a little for my dress sense - girls are really drab around here! But my friend at Preston who does fashion, has all these friends with crazy, fashionable style!

And don't worry about the Manchester - Brighton thing. You're 99% likely to get stick for being Northern, but it's fun! (I went from Manchester to Bristol.)

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    A brightoner :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elixira)
    Wear whatever you want, especially on your first day. No-one particularly cares, just make sure your hair and makeup are nice! If there are any boys in your flat, beware that wearing heels may become a topic of ridicule later on :p:

It's crazy... at my uni, I stand out a little for my dress sense - girls are really drab around here! But my friend at Preston who does fashion, has all these friends with crazy, fashionable style!

And don't worry about the Manchester - Brighton thing. You're 99% likely to get stick for being Northern, but it's fun! (I went from Manchester to Bristol.)
    ahaha true about the northern thing.. my boyfriend is from portsmouth so whenever i go down with him to visit friends/family i get endlessly mocked!

but i'm not going into halls as i'm moving there with my boyfriend
    so i don't need to worry about being mocked by boys ahah

ReputationRep:
    Dress yourself in a giant condom suit - send that message of safe sex right from the Fresher's getgo!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by literature_lover)
    I wanna go to Chichester, I think. Not sure, though. I need CCC for my course but I'm predicted ABB, so my teachers are advising me against it. I love the place though!
    Applying to Oxford Brookes, too x
    I hope you're not going to the nightlife! Chichester has about a million pubs, but only one small nightclub (and that's technicall not even in Chi, just some random field on the outskirts!)

There are other places which you can go which are fairly close by, though ... but transport back (i.e. a taxi or waiting for the first train back) may become annoying. Since the nightclub in Chi is in the middle of no where you can get a free bus back to Chi station at the end of the night. It's called Thursdays, even though they don't open on a Thursday?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simon12345)
    I hope you're not going to the nightlife! Chichester has about a million pubs, but only one small nightclub (and that's technicall not even in Chi, just some random field on the outskirts!)

There are other places which you can go which are fairly close by, though ... but transport back (i.e. a taxi or waiting for the first train back) may become annoying. Since the nightclub in Chi is in the middle of no where you can get a free bus back to Chi station at the end of the night. It's called Thursdays, even though they don't open on a Thursday?!
    I went to Chichester last Summer and going for a weekend in November and I know exactly what you mean lol the nightlife is pretty shocking unless you're the country pub type! I really like the town itself, though, and the campus was small and appealing
    I suppose I could go to Brighton for a night out and just stay overnight. Don't see how that could be a permernant arrangement, like. It would be a treat like once every 3 months lol!
    Do you live in Chi? x

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.