Turn on thread page Beta

Why are popular artists completely raping autotune these days? watch

ReputationRep:
    What I mean by this is making it blatantly obvious that autotune is being used to create an alien or 'Cher' like sound. I think the blame lies with Kanye West or one of his fellow pophop posse members for bringing it into the mainstream, but why are the general public lapping it up? It used to be reserved for artistic expression as demonstrated here.

But now it's being manifested into the vast majority of pop songs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1G_4CU8Ds0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXtCTixWR3g

And it's even begin to corrupt artists e.g. from this to this.

Is the future of pop music going to be just one monotonous digital mess? Is this not annoying anyone else but me?

ReputationRep:
    T-Pain = Original.

Kanye West and Lil' Wayne need to **** off!

ReputationRep:
    Now that I'm so used to it I've begun to notice it in songs that I previously thought hadn't been autotuned; songs which actually just use it to correct pitch.

ReputationRep:
    Jay Z isn't impressed.

ReputationRep:
    they thing its cool, and well people are still buying it, so they are just going to keep doing

i wished autotune would die really

Kanye West already came out saying he wants to be the next king off pop

ReputationRep:
    i like it

ReputationRep:
    They use it to cover up for their obvious lack of talent in singing. :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Argh. I hate Kanye West.

I wish I lived in the 60s, where for the majority of the time, fame came from talent, not marketing sex.

ReputationRep:
    Not another thread like this.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by giran)
    Not another thread like this.....
    its cos autotune is the greatest thing in music :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robinson999)
    its cos autotune is the greatest thing in music :p:
    Just like Kanye West :rofl2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by giran)
    Just like Kanye West :rofl2:
    his the king off pop :p:

that guy really needs to be taken down a few levels, and shown that his not as good as he things he is

ReputationRep:
    his the king off pop :p:

that guy really needs to be taken down a few levels, and shown that his not as good as he things he is
    To be fair, he doesn't piss me off as much as Lil Whine.
    Calling himself the "Greatest rapper alive" is like saying Josef Fritzl is a virgin.

ReputationRep:
    Thing with Auto-Tune is that I'm of the opinion that if it's being used properly for reasonable pitch corrections then listeners shouldn't be able to notice it.

You're right - it's been completely abused , the vocals in the second youtube you posted sounds horribly generic.The only reason I can think they do it is people have become so used to silly effects that something without autotune wouldn't sell well as it would sound too raw .It's also possible a lot of singers have quite mediocre singing abilities , which Alison Shaw from Cranes certainly doesn't here: (and this was released in 1994 well before autotune).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by giran)
    To be fair, he doesn't piss me off as much as Lil Whine.
    Calling himself the "Greatest rapper alive" is like saying Josef Fritzl is a virgin.
    :rofl: yeah i just forget about him, greatest god what is the world coming to

i keep away from all this music, the whole r'n'bull, where about 50 tracks sound like a carbon copy of each other

ReputationRep:
    :rofl: yeah i just forget about him, greatest god what is the world coming to

i keep away from all this music, the whole r'n'bull, where about 50 tracks sound like a carbon copy of each other
    I think you'd get carbon copy tracks no matter what the genre really. If there is a new "style" that has come up, people will all start raping it until something new comes out.

The hiphop scene has had such a bad luck of inspiration, they are now using or shall I say, stealing beats and synths from EDM (dance music).

You'll notice how they are using 4/4 beats, trancy synths and possibly 8th notes on the bass.

I've heard a lil whine tune with a minimal beat too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by giran)
    I think you'd get carbon copy tracks no matter what the genre really. If there is a new "style" that has come up, people will all start raping it until something new comes out.

The hiphop scene has had such a bad luck of inspiration, they are now using or shall I say, stealing beats and synths from EDM (dance music).

You'll notice how they are using 4/4 beats, trancy synths and possibly 8th notes on the bass.

true you do, its just i know where to look in other genre to not find the carbon copy's :p:#sort of hope dubstep won't head down that route but it will, long as the minimal stuff is good, and the undergound

hiphop these not a lot of great people, maybe its heading the route of garage, poor UK garage
    stealing beats doesn't always work

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by giran)

the beats aren't the focus, no producer claims it's their melody.

think f it as a canvas for poetry if you don't mind being a bit pretentious

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lm_wfc)
    the beats aren't the focus, no producer claims it's their melody.

think f it as a canvas for poetry if you don't mind being a bit pretentious
    Beats and melody are completely two seperate things. Do NOT confuse them.
    By 4/4 beats, I mean there is a kickdrum on every beat and a snare on the 2nd and 4th count.
    Previously to this, most hiphop beats were breakbeat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by conroe-killed-the-k8-star)
    Thing with Auto-Tune is that I'm of the opinion that if it's being used properly for reasonable pitch corrections then listeners shouldn't be able to notice it.

You're right - it's been completely abused , the vocals in the second youtube you posted sounds horribly generic.The only reason I can think they do it is people have become so used to silly effects that something without autotune wouldn't sell well as it would sound too raw .It's also possible a lot of singers have quite mediocre singing abilities , which Alison Shaw from Cranes certainly doesn't here: (and this was released in 1994 well before autotune).

:ditto:

Exactly what I've been saying all the time, everytime a thread like this is created.

Autotune when used correctly, the listener must not be able to detect it in the first place.
    I prefer using Melodyne because it has a better audio algorithm for doing pitch corrections (right up to the cents). It won't give you the "T pain effect" but it does what it's supposed to; Tranpose vocal notes to a specific scale of the song in mind.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 4, 2009
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.