Turn on thread page Beta

Can you bulk up at home? watch

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather than going to the gym. Maybe just using dumbells? It's mainly my arms that are really skinny. I'm another one of these skinny dudes who wants to bulk up. I need to eat a lot more as well, but can I take protein shakes with milk instead? If so, where can I buy a good one?

ReputationRep:
    Just go to the gym if you want to achieve anything noticable.

ReputationRep:
    Unless if you do what I do, because my parents are rich, and buy a full set of weights for my house, an exercise bench and so on, its pretty much impossible.

If you're skinny you can make some significant progress at the beginning bicep curling 10kg dumbbells and so on, but if you want real progress and to properly bulk up you really have to go to the gym. Even my home gym equipment set is not as good as a proper gym's.

Of course, you can do the eating at home.

ReputationRep:
    you can tesco direct/argos a gym but expect to be paying more than a gym membership.. and then you out go your weights and you need bigger and better ones and it inevitably costs a lot :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    cheers guys. Maybe I will start at home and go to the gym after a while. Part of the problem is that I am really skinny, and I know its silly but I'm sort of embaressed to go to a gym full of stacked dudes.

Anyone know about what/if protein shakes would be good for my situation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by red_alerts)
    Just go to the gym if you want to achieve anything noticable.
    damn...

just basically...damn...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soundboy)
    cheers guys. Maybe I will start at home and go to the gym after a while. Part of the problem is that I am really skinny, and I know its silly but I'm sort of embaressed to go to a gym full of stacked dudes.

http://www.myprotein.co.uk/bulk-supp.../impact-blend/

Code MP40658 for a further 5% off.

Seriously, a gym will be much better for you. Most gyms aren't full of stacked dudes, and the ones that are don't care, they care about their own workouts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spacepirate-James)
    damn...

just basically...damn...
    Thats not strictly true, it depends how you what to look, bulking up to a 'toned' look you dont need a gym membership but you do need a bench and atleast 50kg to start of with.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, you definately can. Last summer I did 2/3 days a week workout and at the end of the summer there was a noticeable difference. When I got back to uni, lots of people had noticed :P Another of my friend did some serious working out at home during the holidays, and he went from being one of the skinniest to one of the most defined.

ReputationRep:
    everyone is self conscious the first time they enter the weight-room. I know I was. I was a scrawny ****** and could only bench 10kg dumbells. You have to just shrug it off and get on with it. Everyone was skinny at one point. You really can't expect to significantly bulk up with just dumbells. If you want to increase in size proportionately and quickly, you need to do compound exercises at the gym:
    - squats
    - dead lifts
    - bench press
    Which you can then compliment with isolation exercises if you so choose.

ReputationRep:

Remember though, protein shakes are a waste of time if you don't match them with a good hard workout. Most of the protein will only be used if your body requires it to build and repair muscle tissue. If your body does not have this need the proteins will be deaminated and you'll bassically piss them out. If you regularly do that, it can destroy your kidneys.

So if you take shakes, make sure you lift heavy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 7777777)
    Thats not strictly true, it depends how you what to look, bulking up to a 'toned' look you dont need a gym membership but you do need a bench and atleast 50kg to start of with.
    just wanting to look toned whilst losing weight (if that makes sense ) weights and HIIT and good diet enough? or am i being stupid...

I mean, its not the money thats the problem. Its just i hate being like the guy thats weak and the one that doesn't know what to do and getting stared at. OOOOHH the irony.

:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    just wanting to look toned whilst losing weight (if that makes sense ) weights and HIIT and good diet enough? or am i being stupid...

I mean, its not the money thats the problem. Its just i hate being like the guy thats weak and the one that doesn't know what to do and getting stared at. OOOOHH the irony.

Looks right to me but like brotherhood said, no one cares!

ReputationRep:

Lose the ego. No one cares.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vivisteiner)
    Remember though, protein shakes are a waste of time if you don't match them with a good hard workout. Most of the protein will only be used if your body requires it to build and repair muscle tissue. If your body does not have this need the proteins will be deaminated and you'll bassically piss them out. If you regularly do that, it can destroy your kidneys.

So if you take shakes, make sure you lift heavy.
    :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brotherhood)
    http://www.myprotein.co.uk/bulk-supp.../impact-blend/

Code MP40658 for a further 5% off.

Seriously, a gym will be much better for you. Most gyms aren't full of stacked dudes, and the ones that are don't care, they care about their own workouts.
    Thanks. I ordered that and I'm gonna lift some weights. I'm still in disbelief I can bulk up because my frame is very small. I will consider a gym though, if it looks like it might work.

Do you know any good routines I can do at home with weights to start with?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. I ordered that and I'm gonna lift some weights. I'm still in disbelief I can bulk up because my frame is very small. I will consider a gym though, if it looks like it might work.

I've got a routine I do at home for training... First I change into my gym clothes, then I put a belt, bottle of water, bottle of chocolate milk and chalk in my bag. I then grab my keys and wallet and drive to the gym.

The gym works.

ReputationRep:

you're really limited with just dumbells. At least buy a bench as well. There is no point in drinking protein shakes if all you're going to do is curl.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brotherhood)
    :lolwut:
    They are converted into glucose and respired, as aposed to building muscle.

Sorry to Hi-jack the thread but, are protein shakes necessary to bulk up if going to the gym?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oxy)
    They are converted into glucose and respired, as aposed to building muscle.
    It was more the destroying kidneys comment. Ridiculous.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.