Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brotherhood)
    :lolwut:
    Did you not know that?

Bassically excess amino acids (the building blocks of proteins) are deaminated into a substance called urea. Urea is toxic so it has to be removed from the body. So you piss it out.

The process undergone is called 'ultrafiltration' and it occurs in the kidneys. Its a complicated process, so if you overload your body with unnecessary proteins then your kidneys will have to work extra hard. Do this regularly and it'll wear them out and could lead to kidney failure when you get older.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vivisteiner)
    Did you not know that?

Bassically excess amino acids (the building blocks of proteins) are deaminated into a substance called urea. Urea is toxic so it has to be removed from the body. So you piss it out.

The process undergone is called 'ultrafiltration' and it occurs in the kidneys. Its a complicated process, so if you overload your body with unnecessary proteins then your kidneys will have to work extra hard. Do this regularly and it'll wear them out and could lead to kidney failure when you get older.
    He's familiar with the idea, but you're about to get into a debate. Have fun.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ogloom)
    you're really limited with just dumbells. At least buy a bench as well. There is no point in drinking protein shakes if all you're going to do is curl.
    Yea I can get a bench. But how the hell do I know where to start/what do? I'm a complete newb

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oxy)
    They are converted into glucose and respired, as aposed to building muscle.

Sorry to Hi-jack the thread but, are protein shakes necessary to bulk up if going to the gym?
    Yeah, that does happen, but you'll still find that the urea levels will increase as well which can damage the kidneys over time. I did simplify it in my explanation, but the point remains the same.

Protein shakes are not necessary - I've managed to put muscle on without them. But I'm nowhere close to body builder so its possible they may be essential once you reach a certain strength.

ReputationRep:
    Seriously man, just join a gym. Ask the right questions at the induction and you won't be a complete noob, then just build from there. And I might add that everyone starts somewhere. Even the hench Lord of the Gym (yes, every gym has one :awesome: )

ReputationRep:
    http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ:Introduction

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soundboy)
    Yea I can get a bench. But how the hell do I know where to start/what do? I'm a complete newb
    You have to learn in a gym. Unless you can afford a personal trainer. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    He's familiar with the idea, but you're about to get into a debate. Have fun.
    I don't know what there is to debate...I thought it was medically accepted.

ReputationRep:
    +10

ReputationRep:
    Yes you can bulk up at home, I did it myself

ReputationRep:
    I'm in exactly the same position, my scrawny arms curling a 20kg bar is so embarrasing next to some massive guy benching 90kg. My view is that life is embarrasing and that if I can stick it out now, it's only gonna get better, and eventually I will have enough muscle to not look like an arse. As for now, well I guess they can think what they like of me, I could kill them with my brain :p:.

phil.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vivisteiner)
    Did you not know that?

I know what happens to excess protein and about deamination, yes. Excess protein is oxidised/becomes energy, fat or glycogen. The nitrogen part becomes urea.

The kidney failure/destruction comment is completely unfounded. The extra kidney work associated with an increased protein intake might be dangerous in someone with kidney disease, but that's a given. Healthy people will be fine, there's no science backing your comment up.

ReputationRep:
    curling 20kg? :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    Lol, there goes the "people won't judge you" idea. Yes, I'm weak, hence the trying to get less weak thing.

phil.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InVinoVeritas)
    Lol, there goes the "people won't judge you" idea. Yes, I'm weak, hence the trying to get less weak thing.

phil.
    if you do starting strength, they advice you not to curl :awesome: look up for link.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 7777777)
    you can tesco direct/argos a gym but expect to be paying more than a gym membership.. and then you out go your weights and you need bigger and better ones and it inevitably costs a lot :sigh:
    Tried and test the above. You will quickly out grow the amount of weight that the bar can take.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing a plan which some guy who seemed like he knew what he was doing at the gym made for me. Curling was just a small part of it to do every now and again, but it's the one where I think I look most obviously weak.

phil.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brotherhood)
    I know what happens to excess protein and about deamination, yes. Excess protein is oxidised/becomes energy, fat or glycogen. The nitrogen part becomes urea.

The kidney failure/destruction comment is completely unfounded. Straining your kidneys might be dangerous in someone with kidney disease, but that's a given. Healthy people will be fine, there's no science backing your comment up.
    I was actually told by a doctor that eating too much protein is bad for your kidneys. But from looking on the internet it seems as though there is a conflict of opinions. The wiki article says its fine, this article does not:

http://nutritionresearchcenter.org/h...in-is-no-good/

Ultimately you should play it safe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZH89)
    Yes you can bulk up at home, I did it myself
    Can you tell how you did it?

Everyone else just seems to be saying gym, which I appreciate, but I don't want to gym just yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soundboy)
    I know you're intimidated, but I'm going to insist once more about joining a gym. Hire a personal trainer for 1-2 sessions and ask him to teach you how to press, dead and squat correctly (+watch loads of youtube videos regarding the technique). You're so much better off at the gym. The equipment and facilities will trump that of a home gym any time + You'll be around people who know what they're doing, so if you're unsure about technique, they can help you and prevent injury.

+ if you start shelling out cash for barbells + squat racks, the price is going to be close to that of a gym membership.
    ++ you say you're not ready for the gym yet. Are you implying you will join at a later date? That suggests you are buying this home equipment to 'buff up' enough so you won't feel self-concious at the gym. Thats really silly. You're wasting loads of money on a soon-to-be-defunct array of equipment just to avoid embarrasement.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.