Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vivisteiner)
    I was actually told by a doctor that eating too much protein is bad for your kidneys. But from looking on the internet it seems as though there is a conflict of opinions. The wiki article says its fine, this article does not:

http://nutritionresearchcenter.org/h...in-is-no-good/

Ultimately you should play it safe.
    No, just look at Google Scholar or read some medical journals. There's no science that I'm aware of. As for your article, I'm not even going to bother arguing about if ketosis is okay or bad for you but:

Cleveland Clinic’s nutrition experts say that too much protein in your diet, which can be caused by low carb diets, can cause your body to go into a dangerous metabolic state called ketosis as your body burns fat instead of glucose for energy. During ketosis, the body forms substances known as ketones, which can cause organs to fail and result in gout, kidney stones, or kidney failure. Ketones can also dull a person’s appetite, cause nausea and bad breath. Ketosis is prevented by eating at least 100 grams of carbohydrates a day.
    I've heard of people being knocked out of it on 30-50g.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8...gdbfrom=pubmed

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8...gdbfrom=pubmed

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3...gdbfrom=pubmed

Have a look at those - they're quite interesting.

ReputationRep:
    There's nothing there that disproves my point.

ReputationRep:
    My gym only has dumbells Is doing bicep curls with 12kg each hand poor?

I have no experience of the full bar and would like to know if it is easier?

Cheers guys.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harcoreage)
    My gym only has dumbells Is doing bicep curls with 12kg each hand poor?

I have no experience of the full bar and would like to know if it is easier?

Cheers guys.
    Depends on your size, how long you've been training, how many reps your doing etc... The barbell in my opinion is more difficult because it hurts my elbows, I imagine EZ bar is ok(but i've never used one - just dumbbells for curls)

ReputationRep:
    buy yourself a pull up bar. do lots pull ups and push ups... take protein shake after your session, but dont use protein shake as an alternative to your normal diet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soundboy)
    Thanks. I ordered that and I'm gonna lift some weights. I'm still in disbelief I can bulk up because my frame is very small. I will consider a gym though, if it looks like it might work.

Do you know any good routines I can do at home with weights to start with?
    Pull up bar £11 from Amazon could help you on your way, then your working with your own bodyweight.

ReputationRep:
    pull-ups

ReputationRep:
    I can't install a pull up bar cus I'm in uni accommodation. What do people think to this? http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3357217/c_1/1|cat_14419152|Home+gym+equipmen t|14419293/Trail/searchtext%3EBENCH.htm#tabrev

I know it's cheap but it would be suitable to start with surely? Just to remind people, I don't wanna be a bit muscly fella, I just don't want to be skinny anymore.

ReputationRep:
    I can't install a pull up bar cus I'm in uni accommodation. What do people think to this? http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3357217/c_1/1|cat_14419152|Home+gym+equipmen t|14419293/Trail/searchtext%3EBENCH.htm#tabrev

I know it's cheap but it would be suitable to start with surely? Just to remind people, I don't wanna be a bit muscly fella, I just don't want to be skinny anymore.
    That's the price of about 3-4 months of a gym membership and you'll probably have outgrown it in that time.

Seriously, get over it and do the right thing. No one said you have to be a homo-bodybuilder to go to a gym.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brotherhood)
    There's nothing there that disproves my point.
    (Original post by first article)
    Relatively little is known about the influence of chronic oral protein intake on the kidney function...

CONCLUSION: This investigation shows that chronic oral protein intake of widely varying amounts of protein is a crucial control variable for the glomerular filtration rate in subjects with healthy kidneys. It is suggested that these changes reflect in part structural changes of the glomerulus and tubules due to chronic protein intake.
    (Original post by second article)
    Protein intake has been recognized as a modulator of renal function for over half a century...

This correlation raises the possibility that (1) variation in dietary protein intake may account, at least in part, for the differences in renal function among individuals; and (2) the level of protein intake should be assessed in defining the normal range of renal function.
    See what I mean? Its no where near as clear cut as you make it out to be.

ReputationRep:
    cheers guys. Maybe I will start at home and go to the gym after a while. Part of the problem is that I am really skinny, and I know its silly but I'm sort of embaressed to go to a gym full of stacked dudes.

Anyone know about what/if protein shakes would be good for my situation?
    honestly 95% of the time, the guys at the gym help you more than anything, there´s a mutual respect of actually being there at the gym itself, it suprised me when i first started going too. don´t worry about it! everyone has to start somewhere!

ReputationRep:
    I do kidney curls so mine are super strong.

My Bowman's capsule will kick the **** out of an amino acid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nex Angelus)
    honestly 95% of the time, the guys at the gym help you more than anything, there´s a mutual respect of actually being there at the gym itself, it suprised me when i first started going too. don´t worry about it! everyone has to start somewhere!
    This is true. Most are actually pretty keen to help out; if not just to show off their knowledge sometimes.

If I'm struggling with technique/form, I walk up to the biggest, strongest guy that is doing it right and ask for some pointers. Only once did I get hit with a 20kg plate; but you know what? Wounds heal brother. And I probably deserved it for tickling him mid-benchpress.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    This is true. Most are actually pretty keen to help out; if not just to show off their knowledge sometimes.

If I'm struggling with technique/form, I walk up to the biggest, strongest guy that is doing it right and ask for some pointers. Only once did I get hit with a 20kg plate; but you know what? Wounds heal brother. And I probably deserved it for tickling him mid-benchpress.
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    you can definitely bulk up at home without all the (mostly unnecessary) gym equipment, with some basic weights, good workouts and nutrition.

Stuff you'll need:

- Some free weights/dumbbells. 10kg, 15kg, whatever.
    - A flat bench-type surface for doing presses on.
    - Resistance tube. Very cheap, and good for adding resistance to crunches, squats etc.
    - Soy Protein powder. Mix them with water, milk, bananas, etc. Just make sure you lift hard enough to justify it. It's probably cheaper and less time-consuming than eating 4 eggs every day (which isn't to say that proper nutrition should be ignored).
    - Doorframe mounted pullup bar. This can be expensive depending on where you go (Look on Amazon first) but should not cost more than $60. Really good for doing pullups (a necessary exercise for building up your back, shoulders and delts, which develop faster than biceps). By placing the bar on a chair, you can even do dips, though they're not quite as effective.
    - HIIT as some people have mentioned, is the key to muscle and stamina development, and can be done at home or outdoors. No gym required. Interval running/biking/swimming, matched with Tabata resistance workouts (see http://www.5min.com/Video/Tabata-Tra...it-TV-87033743 for a good example).

- Also, check out this guy's videos (http://www.youtube.com/user/cbathletics?blend=1&ob=4) to get tips on home workouts and nutrition tips.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by enon)
    you can definitely bulk up at home without all the (mostly unnecessary) gym equipment, with some basic weights, good workouts and nutrition.

Stuff you'll need:

- Some free weights/dumbbells. 10kg, 15kg, whatever.
    - A flat bench-type surface for doing presses on.
    - Resistance tube. Very cheap, and good for adding resistance to crunches, squats etc.
    - Soy Protein powder. Mix them with water, milk, bananas, etc. Just make sure you lift hard enough to justify it. It's probably cheaper and less time-consuming than eating 4 eggs every day (which isn't to say that proper nutrition should be ignored).
    - Doorframe mounted pullup bar. This can be expensive depending on where you go (Look on Amazon first) but should not cost more than $60. Really good for doing pullups (a necessary exercise for building up your back, shoulders and delts, which develop faster than biceps). By placing the bar on a chair, you can even do dips, though they're not quite as effective.
    - HIIT as some people have mentioned, is the key to muscle and stamina development, and can be done at home or outdoors. No gym required. Interval running/biking/swimming, matched with Tabata resistance workouts (see http://www.5min.com/Video/Tabata-Tra...it-TV-87033743 for a good example).

- Also, check out this guy's videos (http://www.youtube.com/user/cbathletics?blend=1&ob=4) to get tips on home workouts and nutrition tips.
    15kg dumbbells for bulking up..? You need atleast 50 and thats if your skinny

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the replies, a wide variety of advice here. I am actually going to try doing it at home first. Part of the reason why is that I'm sure my metabolism is dead quick and I have a very small frame. I'm not even sure putting on weight is possible for me. I have ordered some bars for doing push ups on, some dumbells, and protein so we'll see what happens..

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the replies, a wide variety of advice here. I am actually going to try doing it at home first. Part of the reason why is that I'm sure my metabolism is dead quick and I have a very small frame. I'm not even sure putting on weight is possible for me. I have ordered some bars for doing push ups on, some dumbells, and protein so we'll see what happens..
    Highly unlikely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brotherhood)
    Highly unlikely.
    If it happens, I'll be well chuffed. See thing is, when I say small, I mean small. Like, my wrists and arms are very small, as is my chest. So I don't know, if it happens, it will be interesting to see what it looks like.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.