The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

ssfournier
Quick question.

I Have an Apple Wireless Router thing (Airport Express, for those tech-savvy of you) and would like to use it to make a wireless network when I start uni in September.

However, I have just read on their terms of use policy that:

Hubs or switches may be used to connect more than one computer to your network socket. There is a limit of 3 devices per socket.

But then it says:

Connection of additional network equipment to the network socket in your room is not permitted, this includes routers and wireless devices.

My two questions are:

Will my device be permitted by the University?

Also, if it is not permitted, will it work without the University's knowledge?

Thanks for all your help.

It will work as long as its a cable router. It will be obvious to the university staff IF they look for wireless networks.
Reply 21
Vongustedt
i don't know if anyone has asked but can u use your games console online by using uni internet, i.e. play Call of Duty online on a PS3 via the uni's internet?

P.s. I am not/will not being taking a games console to uni, anyone know anyone who is ....

Depends entirely on the university.
Reply 22
My flat mate used a wireless router all year with no problems - we normally have to register the MAC addresses of all the hardware we want to use, so we just registered the router as a device then we could connect wirelesses to any device we wanted all over the flat.
Vongustedt
i don't know if anyone has asked but can u use your games console online by using uni internet, i.e. play Call of Duty online on a PS3 via the uni's internet?

P.s. I am not/will not being taking a games console to uni, anyone know anyone who is ....

I and most people I knew had a games console at Uni (in halls). This was before the days of the PS3 and Xbox360, though, so internet gaming wasn't an issue. I'm not sure if you could use them online, but I personally don't see why not, as you'd just be using your normal internet connection.

Latest

Trending

Trending