Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hey
    I've been reading reviews on benefit makeup but am not sure its worth the money, at the minute i use
    Foundation- Maybeline mouse
    Blusher: Bojour paris or Rimmel
    Cheek enhancer: Me Me Me- Moon beam
    Eyeliner: Rimmel

Is benefit all about the fancy packaging and you don't get much more value for money than the products listed above,
    Any advice would be great Thanks girlies

ReputationRep:
    I bought some Benefit mascara, the Bad Gal one, and it was/is rubbish.

That's my only input, sorry :p:

ReputationRep:
    I spent £50 quid in there a few months ago - big mistake. Ended up with the Playstick foundation - CRAP. It's fine for a minimal coverage concealer, but not much else. The mascara was good, though, the Badgal one, but I wouldn't buy it again. And the eyeliner was good, but totally over-priced.

I do think that it's more about the packaging. If you want good makeup at the same end of the market of Benefit etc, then go for something like Christian Dior or Clinique. I bought Dior foundation last week, and it's the best thing ever. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kels488)
    hey
    I've been reading reviews on benefit makeup but am not sure its worth the money, at the minute i use
    Foundation- Maybeline mouse
    Blusher: Bojour paris or Rimmel
    Cheek enhancer: Me Me Me- Moon beam
    Eyeliner: Rimmel

Is benefit all about the fancy packaging and you don't get much more value for money than the products listed above,
    Any advice would be great Thanks girlies
    I feel I should draw your attention to the 'MeMeMe' range at Superdrug - they do a number of products which are copies of the Benefit stuff but at much cheaper prices. For instance they have high beam and moon beam highlighters, and posie cheek tint (all priced at around £18/£19 by benefit) which are £4.99 in Superdrug. And they do EXACTLY the same job. Best money saving discovery ever!

EDIT: Just seen you mentioned MeMeMe already - sorry I got so excited at sharing this with you that I didn't read your whole post! I wouldn't recommend getting the Benefit stuff if you already use MeMeMe - it's exactly the same so save your money

ReputationRep:
    As much as I love the idea of Benefit, it is really poor value for money. Dandelion is OK as it lasts a while but the palettes and eye products are not at all worth it. If you like retro/boutiquey packaging go for jelly pong pong or too faced - decent quality, far less expensive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smilee172)
    I feel I should draw your attention to the 'MeMeMe' range at Superdrug - they do a number of products which are copies of the Benefit stuff but at much cheaper prices. For instance they have high beam and moon beam highlighters, and posie cheek tint (all priced at around £18/£19 by benefit) which are £4.99 in Superdrug. And they do EXACTLY the same job. Best money saving discovery ever!

EDIT: Just seen you mentioned MeMeMe already - sorry I got so excited at sharing this with you that I didn't read your whole post! I wouldn't recommend getting the Benefit stuff if you already use MeMeMe - it's exactly the same so save your money
    Aww thank you! Sounds great ! What is the high + moon beam highlighters? and poise cheektint?
    What do they do and are they any good?
    cheers

ReputationRep:
    See, I wouldn't buy all their stuff, but seriously Bluff Dust was one of my best makeup purchases of all time. SO good!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charlotterg5)
    See, I wouldn't buy all their stuff, but seriously Bluff Dust was one of my best makeup purchases of all time. SO good!
    Ooh what's bluff dust, I've never heard of that?!

ReputationRep:
    I have their mascara, thought it was ok but not really worth the money. I do think that their products are very overpriced and all about the fancy packaging, especially the blushers and eyeliner type things, no better than other brands but much more expensive!

ReputationRep:
    Im not sure about Benefit make-up, but designer make-up does tend to be alot better than cheaper brands, in my experiance anyway!

ReputationRep:
    I use Hoola bronzer and Benetint for my lips - and I love it. But I've found better brands for the rest of my makeup bag elsewhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Laura. <3)
    Ooh what's bluff dust, I've never heard of that?!
    It's basically loose face powder, but it's yellow instead of that nasty beige colour that it normally is. You use the tiniest amount, and it takes all the red out of your skintone and makes it look like... flawless. I literally only wear bourjois concealer, benefit bluffdust and a little bit of maybelliene mascara and that's it now. My skintone is quite light and so finding foundation is a pain in the ass, but it's taken away my need for it. Seriously recommend it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kels488)
    Aww thank you! Sounds great ! What is the high + moon beam highlighters? and poise cheektint?
    What do they do and are they any good?
    cheers
    high and moon beam are highlighters - high beam is pinky coloured for paler skin and the moon beam is more goldy for olive skin. you can put it on top or underneath blusher/bronzer and it just kinda makes you glow... it makes your cheeks shiny and really brightens up your face. Quite difficult to explain - I always put it on under blusher and it helps my blusher to stay put all day and gives a really nice glow and the posie tint or whatever it's called (can't quite remember) is just like a lip and cheek stain. You put a little bit on your cheek or lips and rub it in and it stains them pinky-red, i suppose it's just an alternative to blusher.

ReputationRep:
    Benefit cosmetics are overpriced and overrated- I got a free lip gloss froma magazine that was some murky shade of grey-pink with very gloopy consistency. I was just glad I didn't pay for that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charlotterg5)
    It's basically loose face powder, but it's yellow instead of that nasty beige colour that it normally is. You use the tiniest amount, and it takes all the red out of your skintone and makes it look like... flawless. I literally only wear bourjois concealer, benefit bluffdust and a little bit of maybelliene mascara and that's it now. My skintone is quite light and so finding foundation is a pain in the ass, but it's taken away my need for it. Seriously recommend it!
    Oh wow, I'm exactly the same, pale that is, and I've recently ditched foundation for concealer. Hmm maybe I could look on ebay!?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I've heard BEnefit is pretty rubbish for the price. Why not go for MAC or something? I hear it's pretty good in comparison. They have little shops that you can go to and they will help you match your skintone to a shade

ReputationRep:
    I think that benefit is generally overpriced and there are definitely better cosmetic brands out there - with better and more affordable makeup.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Laura. <3)
    Oh wow, I'm exactly the same, pale that is, and I've recently ditched foundation for concealer. Hmm maybe I could look on ebay!?
    Or if you know anyone that's going on holiday, bully them into getting you some of the discounted stuff from duty free That's my trick tee hee.

But yeah, being dead pale is so annoying, 'cause I normally get the lightest shade of a foundation and have to mix it with moisturiser to make it lighter, and then it is just the wrong consistency. This way I get to show off the freckles too

ReputationRep:
    I spent loads on Benefit make up last year and also have a lot of MAC stuff, which is pretty good.
    I was disappointed with Benefit, especially the play stick and my kinda gorgeous foundation, didn't do anything for me!
    I personally think that Estee Lauder is the best make up

ReputationRep:
    Benefit's highlighters, powders and primers are really good, but if you are wanting a decent mascara i would always go for dior blackout its the best around and for foundations it depends really on your skin type i have found with mac that there foundations are no way near up to quality with the pigment and such high quality of there eye make up. YSL and clarines do really good stuff too.

I reccomend everyone to buy touche eclat and dior black out mascara they are amazing!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 29, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up sugar, or salt?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.