Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'd never pay full price for a benefit product. They often go for cheaper on ebay.

Benefit is a bit overpriced and gimmicky with the focus on nice packaging really. I went to the counter in Selfridges recently and wasn't impressed with the products they used.

(Original post by charlotterg5)
    Or if you know anyone that's going on holiday, bully them into getting you some of the discounted stuff from duty free That's my trick tee hee.

But yeah, being dead pale is so annoying, 'cause I normally get the lightest shade of a foundation and have to mix it with moisturiser to make it lighter, and then it is just the wrong consistency. This way I get to show off the freckles too
    Bit off topic but go to a Prescripitves counter check out Lilylolo.co.uk which is apparently also good.

ReputationRep:
    If you're thinking of spending that kind of money, there are much better products out there in my opinion from brands such as MAC.

ReputationRep:
    Right. I haven't read all the posts yet so do excuse me if I end up repeating myself.

I find that Benefit's products are mostly good, and I have tried many (Dandelion, Lemon Aid, High Beam, Her Glossiness...etc etc). HOWEVER, they are absolutely NOT in a million years worth the RRP. The RRP on these products is quite often close to higher end brands such as MAC, Chanel, Guerlain, Dior etc etc and they're just not in the same league. Quite often you can find very similar products for much less money (e.g. Sephora do a version of High Beam which is identical and less than half the price). You are mostly buying into the brand name and fancypants packaging, if I'm honest, and many of the products are also overhyped (Boi-ing, for instance, was THE worst concealer I have ever used, and I tried Bad Gal mascara and couldn't see what all the fuss was about).

If you are going to buy them, I would therefore recommend doing what I do, which is going into a department store to test the product/check to see if you like it, and then shop around online (including ebay, where you can quite often find them brand new or even just used once for much less than the RRP) to get the best deal. I would just never pay full whack for these products - they're overpriced in the extreme.

ReputationRep:
    I feel Benefit have their high points and low points. I swear by their Boi-ing concealer, and adore their powders (I use Dallas and Dandelion, both lovely). However, I wouldn't really rate their foundations, and the BadGal mascara was just a crock of **** for me. And yes, they are overpriced and you do pay to a degree for the packaging, but I feel a whole lot of make-up available is overpriced anyway. Eg, I pay £18.50 for a Clinique foundation, which I feel is somewhat excessive - but I'm yet to find a cheaper alternative that I like just as much. On the bright side, I now feel much better about the price of their products in the UK, having seen the prices in Italy this week.. consistently even more expensive than here. Not good.

I guess that if you have the opportunity to buy Benefit for less (hello, eBay), or can ask for some items for Christmas/birthday presents only (pretty much what I do..), it is worth giving some of their bits a shot. Others, not so much - just be sure to read a truck load of reviews first!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    My opinions:

Benetint - nice colour, but lacks staying power, dries your cheeks/lips
    Bad gal mascara - crap
    Boi-ing concealer - rubbish
    You Rebel tinted moisturiser - terrible
    Lemon aid - good, but overpriced
    Dr Feel Good - dislike the texture, it must block the pores too.

I think that's everything I've tried. Hmmm.

ReputationRep:
    I've had three of their mascaras and they've all been crap.

ReputationRep:
    I love - Benefit Hoola (best bronzer - hasn't a trace of orange tones) and the Creaseless Cream Shadows.

Everything else, I can take it or leave it - I'd rather buy MAC and get better quality for the same price.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone here tried Hello Flawless and is it any good?

I bought the Smokin Eyes and Big Beautiful Eyes kits on ebay for dead cheap, and they are decent, but generally, the quality doesn't match the price at all. Go for a better brand and you probably won't pay much more than you would for Benefit stuff.
    The Badgal mascara really is nothing special....haven't tried all of their stuff though.

ReputationRep:
    Benefit Booing concealer is really good, but all the other Benefit stuff I bought like Get Bent Lash, Big Beautiful Eyes and Thrrrob blusher just weren't worth what I paid for them at all! I found better alternatives for half the price. I'm using Max Factor False Lash Effect Mascara atm, it's pretty good but only in small amounts as it does make your lashes huge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angelil)
    Right. I haven't read all the posts yet so do excuse me if I end up repeating myself.

I find that Benefit's products are mostly good, and I have tried many (Dandelion, Lemon Aid, High Beam, Her Glossiness...etc etc). HOWEVER, they are absolutely NOT in a million years worth the RRP. The RRP on these products is quite often close to higher end brands such as MAC, Chanel, Guerlain, Dior etc etc and they're just not in the same league. Quite often you can find very similar products for much less money (e.g. Sephora do a version of High Beam which is identical and less than half the price). You are mostly buying into the brand name and fancypants packaging, if I'm honest, and many of the products are also overhyped (Boi-ing, for instance, was THE worst concealer I have ever used, and I tried Bad Gal mascara and couldn't see what all the fuss was about).

If you are going to buy them, I would therefore recommend doing what I do, which is going into a department store to test the product/check to see if you like it, and then shop around online (including ebay, where you can quite often find them brand new or even just used once for much less than the RRP) to get the best deal. I would just never pay full whack for these products - they're overpriced in the extreme.
    Le sigh. Why did nobody say these things to me a few months ago when I wanted a concealer and everyone was like woooo :woo: benefit! And now I'm stuck with my overpriced orangeness that worked fine in the shop but does nothing for me

ReputationRep:
    Are boi-ing and erase paste any good? I'm after a pretty heavy duty concealer but I'm fairly sure that these won't be worth the money. Any opinions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tea_cakes)
    Are boi-ing and erase paste any good? I'm after a pretty heavy duty concealer but I'm fairly sure that these won't be worth the money. Any opinions?
    http://www.ciao.co.uk/BeneFit_Boi_ing__5095756

This website is reaaaallly helpful for all kind of reviews benefit-related

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smilee172)
    http://www.ciao.co.uk/BeneFit_Boi_ing__5095756

This website is reaaaallly helpful for all kind of reviews benefit-related
    ooh thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bekaboo)
    Le sigh. Why did nobody say these things to me a few months ago when I wanted a concealer and everyone was like woooo :woo: benefit! And now I'm stuck with my overpriced orangeness that worked fine in the shop but does nothing for me
    awwwww :hugs: I sympathise...nothing like getting suckered, is there

(Original post by tea_cakes)
    Boi-ing is awful. Very difficult to blend, colour is terrible, and just seems to make blemishes stand out! Can't comment on Erase Paste though as have never tried it.

ReputationRep:
    I've only tried three Benefit products - Bad Gal mascara, Dandelion face powder, and High Beam highlighter.

Bad Gal was utter ****. I honestly do NOT see what all the fuss is about with that stuff, Max Factor do better mascaras which are closer to half the price.

Dandelion face powder is nice but I'm still trying to get the hang of it so I don't go bright pink! Just bought a new face brush from E.L.F. and that's helping, I just put a little bit on at a time and it does make you look quite glowy. Would prefer if the shimmer was a little more subtle but maybe it's just how I'm applying it.

High Beam is.... alright. I don't think I've got the hang of it yet. I've mixed it in with moisturiser which works really well and I've used it to highlight my cheekbones and brow bone. I'd prefer if it was in a solid stick format as I feel it would make it easier to blend.

Also I would NEVER pay full price for a Benefit product. Bad Gal was a sample, High Beam was a present, and Dandelion was bought off ebay for LESS THAN HALF the RRP. Brand new, sealed, never used, brilliant. There are plenty of sellers who sell brand new or slightly used Benefit products.

ReputationRep:
    I had this free make-up done by them, it was powder foundation (I can't remember the exact name of it I think it may have been Hello Flawless?:rolleyes:) and I thought it was quite good- it felt very light on my skin and covered evenly, and stayed on for ages, but you could easily tell I had foundation on (so not so good for the au natarale look). I think it was £25 I'm considering getting some when I have extra money to..

ReputationRep:
    Boi-ing is awful. Very difficult to blend, colour is terrible, and just seems to make blemishes stand out! Can't comment on Erase Paste though as have never tried it.
    Thank you for that. I'm super pale so I figured that with only three colour options, the palest one would still be too orange for me. I think I'll hunt for a heavy duty concealer elsewhere heh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vicky1990)
    I had this free make-up done by them, it was powder foundation (I can't remember the exact name of it I think it may have been Hello Flawless?:rolleyes:) and I thought it was quite good- it felt very light on my skin and covered evenly, and stayed on for ages, but you could easily tell I had foundation on (so not so good for the au natarale look). I think it was £25 I'm considering getting some when I have extra money to..
    At least hunt around online for it so that you don't get suckered into paying the full RRP...I can't believe there are people who willingly walk into department stores and pay the same prices as for Chanel, Dior, Guerlain etc...only for this tat.

ReputationRep:
    At least hunt around online for it so that you don't get suckered into paying the full RRP...I can't believe there are people who willingly walk into department stores and pay the same prices as for Chanel, Dior, Guerlain etc...only for this tat.
    Yeah, I'll have to!
    Do you know any sites to search for make up on by the way? I look on amazon and asos but don't know anywhere else I'd be able to...

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 29, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.