Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey

How did you pick your Uni's? Are you happy with your choice and what would you do different if your not?

Also in your opinion, what is your ideal distance from home?

Ta x

ReputationRep:
    The one Im at now I picked because it felt more comfortable and I liked the course structure more.

I also commute from home which Im more happy with for personal reasosns. So yes Im one of 'those' people who favoured unis due to distance.

ReputationRep:
    I opened a copy of the Times, and phoned round from the top of the league table down until I got one that would accept me with my grades. I also asked TSR which one was the most prestigious, and which would get me the best job, because I knew they'd all know.

[/sarcasm].

I didn't really, I did my research and picked where I thought I'd be happiest- being a Scot with just one advanced higher (but six highers) I was limited in where I could apply, and I wanted to be in an urban environment, and I didn't want to have to travel massive amounts as I had a decent job to hang on to part time, so that narrowed it down to the central belt of Scotland for me, and made four of my six choices there. The rest is history...

ReputationRep:
    Reputation, then location

ReputationRep:
    Boyfriend at the time. He was applying for vet and only 7 unis do that course! So ended up going to Glasgow.

ReputationRep:
    stupidly, the length of summer holidays, regret it now, would leave and go somewhere else without giving it second thought. notts trent sucks :/

ReputationRep:
    I was a bit confused about where to go, so my teacher picked one for me, lol:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Well only 13 Unis do my course so that narrowed it down, then ones that both my boyfriend and I liked and that weren't too far from home (but weren't too close either) and had a decent rep.

ReputationRep:
    I saw both my spaniel puppies fighting one day and decided to assign each one a uni, the winner (one who pins the other one) would decide my choice. York beat KCL with some sort of ninja style takedown straight out of UFC.

ReputationRep:
    Reputation, requirements, location.

ReputationRep:
    Location, Expertise in subject, student opinion and resources.

Stafford it is

ReputationRep:
    No brainer really. Top 5 university in the world, on the beach, great weather surrounded by babes.

ReputationRep:
    Location location location

ReputationRep:
    Best in the country for the course i wanted to do and I'm too thick to study in a good Uni.
    Locations pretty handy too, only 1hr30 mins on the train and only costs £8.

ReputationRep:
    The place is lovely, and the campus is ideal for me I fell in love with the entire area.

ReputationRep:
    I looked at "The Times Good University Guide" for the league tables, then I just went crazy on the internet, ordering prospectus' from Universities I'd consider going to. Once I'd got all of the prospectus', I went through them, looking carefully at the courses, what they involved (as that is what you'll be studying for 3-4 years, so you have to enjoy it) and if the entry requirements were realistic for me to achieve. I managed to narrow it down to: Leeds, Sheffield, Kent, Lancaster and Sheffield Hallam. I looked at when the open days were, and booked one for each. To be honest, I dont' think I could have made a decision without looking at each University, it's suprising how different they all are!!

I'm very happy with picking Leeds as my firm choice, and ironically, it was the first University I looked at, and i fell in love with it there and then - even got the University hoody!!! I don't think I'd do anything differently!

In my ideal world, I'd love to go to Sheffield University, as I had a difficult time choosing between there and Leeds for my firm, and decided to go for Leeds as I didn't really like the course at Sheffield (I was gutted, but I knew I'd eventually end up hating it the course if I went there, as much as I loved everything else!) If it was up to me, I'd have the course at Leeds at the University of Sheffield, but thats not likely to happen in the next 7 weeks!!

I'm a "home" kinda girl, so I didn't want to go anywhere that was too far away, but I felt that Leeds was just the right distance from home (2hrs 30/45mins), and that I'd feel happy there!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aimz666)
    Hey

How did you pick your Uni's? Are you happy with your choice and what would you do different if your not?

Also in your opinion, what is your ideal distance from home?

Ta x
    My criteria was (after I'd initially decided on coming to the UK): had to be in Scotland for free tuition and the degree structure, had to be as big a city as possible, a prestigious uni. And well, in the end I had my heart set on Edinburgh anyway. I would've gone to Glasgow if I hadn't gotten an offer from Edinburgh. I'm very happy with my choice.

Ideal distance from home?: As far away as possible. I would've gone all the way to Canada or the States if I'd had the money.

ReputationRep:
    First one: It was in London and I wanted a grant rather than re-applying for a course I might actually have an interest in.

Second one: After failing to get into all the London uni's I'd applied for, went through clearing and decided to go to Nottingham instead.

ReputationRep:
    League Table

ReputationRep:
    the social side of things.

got to my course induction and was told its one of the top unis in the country for it.

win win.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.