Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Looked at grade requirements for my subject and made a mental list of who were in my range. Looked at uni tables (mainly from Times). Ordered lots of prospectuses. went to lots of open days until i found out what i liked and didn't like about the unis.

i live in London and will most likely be going to Durham, so at the moment I can't tell you what distance is ideal. I currently think that it doesn't really matter what distance from home you are if you know you'll be happy at the uni. Yay for 3 hour train journeys is what I say

ReputationRep:
    out of the unis that did my course it was sort of random really and also because its entry requirements were not ridiculously low but were low enough so that i dint have to worry about my a levels or put in much work lol....always take the easy route

ReputationRep:
    I originally intended to go over the mainland for Uni, but I was comfortable with my life at home so decided to pick Queens for handiness, meaning I could come home at weekends and keep in touch with friends.

Then I got estranged by my best friend, putting a slight dent in my social circle, so I didn't get out as much as usual at weekends anymore. Thus I may as well have went across the water.

But meh, I'm having a blast at Queens, and I'm counting down the days till I get back .

ReputationRep:
    I looked at who offered my course, found out the uni 40 miles away offered it... I got to stay at home, avoid huge mounting debt... and it was an unconditional offer

ReputationRep:
    Wanted to be nearish to home but far enough away so that I couldn't got there every night for my dinner

ReputationRep:
    I wanted somewhere not too far from home that did an Archaeology course which had enough focus on practical skills, and potentially opportunity to go abroad. That limited my options quite a bit, especially as my A-Levels were rubbish...I got into Manchester by fluke really (otherwise I'd be at UClan) and accepted it as it has a better reputation than UClan.

ReputationRep:
    Saw it on the university trip. Love it a lot, and then found my perfect course there

ReputationRep:
    First time around: location, multiculture/diversity, societies, I-know-loads-of-people-there, and it's adequate reputation. That was a mistake. I should've looked deeper into the course and the quality of teaching.

Second time: Course validation, Course reputation, Uni reputation, campus, location and distance. Obviously can't tell if I've made the right choice because I haven't started yet.

If I were to make the decision again(and I hope I don't until post-grad), I'd worry a lot less about distance from home and apply to Scottish/International unis too.

ReputationRep:
    I chose Cardiff for three main reasons; its course content for Archaeology and modules on offer in other subjects, I knew I'd like living there more than the other towns/cities my other uni options were in and because I thought the SU & societies were better than my other options.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    knew i wanted to go to london, tehn i picked ones that i liked that i could get teh grades for. three of my choices were Uni of London colleges the other one was london south bank (complete back up), and the manchester uni cos im from manchester anyway so thought may as well. reputation ony came into it insofar as to say i had to be able to get grades for it too. luckily im at one of the best drama schools in the world and its part of uni of london and the offer was only BB. win.

ReputationRep:
    Gut feeling. I've not even been to visit and I won't see it till I move in...should be interesting :/

ReputationRep:
    Distance, area, city, league table position for the subject, graduate prospects, entry requirements, course... it's my home away from home and I love it there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Montarnna)
    Saw it on the university trip. Love it a lot, and then found my perfect course there
    There seem to be lots of people from The Isle at Manch! (My dear housemate included).

I chose my uni on a whim, to fill my fifth place on the UCAS form. I didn't particularly want or expect to go there, since I originally wanted to move to London, and applied to basically all London universities. Now I'm really, really glad I'm not living London, and I've come to love living in Manchester lots and lots, despite being born in Liverpool.

ReputationRep:
    location (near London = near airport = fly home), course content, reputation for my subject and university, entry requirements, living costs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OhNO!)
    There seem to be lots of people from The Isle at Manch! (My dear housemate included).

I chose my uni on a whim, to fill my fifth place on the UCAS form. I didn't particularly want or expect to go there, since I originally wanted to move to London, and applied to basically all London universities. Now I'm really, really glad I'm not living London, and I've come to love living in Manchester lots and lots, despite being born in Liverpool.
    traitor:p: shame on you.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    I chose based on course content and teaching standards mostly -- if I'm paying £3225/year, I want my money's worth! Location was also an important factor, because I didn't want to be too close to home, and I didn't want to be in a huge city.

I applied to Cambridge, Durham, Edinburgh, St Andrews and Warwick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hermaphrodite)
    traitor:p: shame on you.
    I see the error of my ways now.

I mean, why would you want the london eye when you could have the manchester wheel!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I chose my undergraduate uni because I could do two subjects and I fell in love with the place on an open day.
    I chose my postgrad uni because it was near my undergrad one and relatively close to the friends I'd made.

ReputationRep:
    Reputation, social side, location. Rejections also helped.

ReputationRep:
    I went on UCAS and found the unis that did my course, then I had a look at league tables (wanted one with a good reputation) and looked up their websites to see what they sounded like. I visited a good few unis, most after I'd made my five choices, so it was to decide what was gonna be my top choice. I went to a couple of open days, and in the end it was just where I felt I would be at home at. I really really hope I get into my first choice now or I'll just curl up and die!

Oh and ideal location? At least a sea away from home

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.