Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I chose my university based on academic standing /repuation / prestige.

ReputationRep:
    Went into RADA and asked for an application form for technical theatre. The guy then gave me the CDS Guide, I worked it through and decided to apply for those which looked interesting (I couldn't visit them - I'm from abroad.) and did my course.

So, my UCAS application form was only filled with pretty good and NCDT accredited drama schools, lol.

I actually don't mind how far away my university from home is.

I didn't care about entry requirements either. But reputation, graduate prospects, enviroment, that was important to me. In the end, it was just love.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    In deciding which five universities to apply for, I went way overboard with thinking things through and researching everything thoroughly.

Location: I thought about the area I would want to live/study in for the next three or so years. I considered the size of the town/city, the sort of local populace, and also the weather and general local geography. My parents live abroad, so being far/close to them wasn't a concern, but I definitely wanted to stay in the comfort-zone of the south of England.

Course content: I wanted to study economics, but I also wanted to cover advanced econometrics which few universities in the UK offer. However, I also took into account all the modules on offer, looked at the textbooks that would be used, compared lecture slides and actual module content, etc. to ensure that the course was exactly what I wanted/would be interested in.

Societies: I thoroughly looked into all the societies available at the university, the sorts of formals or socials that said societies would put on, their links with industry, and so on. Many people thought this was over the top, but I wanted a good idea of what I'd be getting myself into and the sorts of societies I'd be able to join on arrival. Additionally, I wanted there to be a very active Conservative Future society (and a general politics society), so obviously looking into the various societies was a must. I didn't concern myself with the athletic union or clubs or anything like that since I'm not that much of a sporty person, so whatever there is that I like is simply a plus.

Atmosphere: I seriously considered this as I'd be spending three years with the sorts of people who attend that sort of university. Sure, universities are large and you'll meet a whole swathe of different sorts, but there tends to be a majority of a certain type at each university.

Buildings: Some consider this, but I couldn't care less to be honest. This, however, may be something you want to take into account. Some prefer Gothic architecture, others prefer Victorian or Edwardian, others Brutalist, or plate-glass. Personally I prefer very modern with lots of glass, but I didn't take this into consideration with my application since most university campuses will have more than one style of architecture.

Careers: I additionally looked into the jobs past graduates had gone into and also looked at the employers that actively recruited from each university and the sorts of graduate schemes said employers had on offer. This was more for interest than anything else, though.

I'm sure I've missed some points I looked into when deciding, but those are certainly important ones to consider!

ReputationRep:
    Reputation is one of the top priorities and I did some kind of 'survey' before fixing my mind on the 5 choices. Referring to league tables about overall and subject ranking is one channel and I tend to rely a bit more on Times and Guardian. Then I mailed to a few target unis to get prospectus and visited the school websites to get detailed information about the course content, school location, campus environment, facilities... Talked to friends and teachers to get their views and recommendation, especially from someone who had studied in the potential uni's.
    Distance is one concern but not a major one as nowhere is near my home country but I wouldn't choose anywhere in Scotland because of different accent and the weather in winter. I need to choose a city that is known to be safe too (which is more of my parents' concern).
    So after taking everything into consideration, Exeter is my firm!!:woo:

ReputationRep:
    chose the cheapest one,
    you know, recession and all that.......
    i do not regret it because its a really beautiful college, and has some really good teachers who have time for each of their students.

ReputationRep:
    Mainly for course content, course reputation, work experience opportunities and links to industry. Also the option to study abroad for a period of time. But also the atmosphere of the University, the facilities and the city itself.

ReputationRep:
    I like a challenge so I went for the place with the best people applying. It's also cool to be surrounded by very intelligent people.

ReputationRep:
    Who would have me on results day and distance from home so i could live at home in second year to save money for my graduate degree yeah that really happened

ReputationRep:
    Local uni where most of my friends have applied. My chosen coure has a good reputation there.

ReputationRep:
    I went to have a look around and I liked it.
    Didn't want to go to a city Uni.
    Not many uni's offer computing science and philosophy as a joint degree.
    I liked the semester and exam structure.

ReputationRep:
    i wanted a campus uni that wasnt too so far from home (london) that i couldnt get back in a couple of hours if need be. I also wanted a town uni rather than a city one... i fancied a change from london. Also jobs as well, i liked the look of keele but there didnt seem to be that much oppurtunity for work up there.

In the end im going to UEA or Essex

ReputationRep:
    solely on reputation (and the obvious good quality that comes with it). this is key for me as long as you will be comfortable. but people are different.

ReputationRep:
    After narrowing it down to places that do the 3 year QTS teaching course I then went on location-Yorkshire/West Midlands areas and not anywhere further south (than Worcester!) as I wanted to move back closer to my family.

ReputationRep:
    Only 5 unis do my course. Midlands and Sunderland are a bit too far to travel.

ReputationRep:
    It's extremely local and I love Newcastle so that was one factor. Secondly, the Law programme at Northumbria is brilliant, second year students (I believe) get to practice in the Student Law Office on real cases under the supervision of tutors which I thought was excellent rather than the traditional regulated academic, reading and revising approach. I really hope I get in.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I looked at the league tables for my subject, got prospectuses and checked that the course content actually interested me, went to some open days and then did a summer school at my current uni, which made me decide I did quite like the place after all (didn't originally wanna apply there).

I'm happy with my choice but if I could go back, I'd have actually gone to see my insurance choice before confirming it as my insurance on UCAS. I did tons of research about the place but imho, nothing beats going to actually see the place.

I wouldn't want to go much further from home, since I like being able to go back once in a while and it's handy being able to get back to London for concerts, musicals, etc.

ReputationRep:
    It was the one which required the least effort.

ReputationRep:
    Went onto UCAS, went through all the subjects A-Z and decided on chemical engineering.
    Checked out the list of universities that did chemical engineering. Started crossing out the bottom ones, checked out their websites, and based myself off of how often I'd heard about them. Bath I applied to because I'd heard of it before, had a friend who went there and it's got a good ranking on the league tables. Same goes for Imperial, I knew that it was very good, but then I realised that it wasn't really for me. Edinburgh I applied to because of the low entry requirements compared to the other unis so I could have it as a backup. People said a lot of nice things about Edinburgh, how the country was nice too, same for the people, etc. Plus, awesome mountainbiking opportunities there. Then I was stuck between Leeds and Sheffield, chose Sheffield in the end (and now firmed it) because it seems to have a friendly atmosphere, the course is great from what I can see and I like the uni's approach (sent me a lot of info in the mail, keep you updated all the time, etc) whereas for example I got one measly acceptance letter from Imperial - no info, no nothing. I also heard Sheffield has a very good nightlife and, of course, awesome mountainbiking opportunities. As the 5th choice I chose UCL as a filler mainly since I didn't know what to put as 5th and two of my best friends were going there, then ended up liking the look of it so much that I put it as my firm (but then later swapped it with Sheffield). That's the story of how I ended up with Sheffield as a firm and UCL as an insurance. :P

But yeah, it was a pretty ****** method of choosing unis as I haven't been to a single one but oh well, I think I might the right choices.

As for living far from parents: a couple of thousand kilometres haha, it's a shame but they don't live in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    Initially, I wanted to try and apply to Cambridge for a laugh (just to see what would happen) and wasn't really planning to study in the UK, and my other choices were fairly random although they were all decent choices for my course (Edinburgh, KCL, Warwick, Sussex).

Needless to say, I got offers from all of them except for Cambridge, and then I did some more research because by that time I was sure I didn't want to go to uni in Germany, and ended up picking Edinburgh because their course structure is so flexible, I won't have to pay tuition fees, I'd like like to live in a bigger city with lots of things to do, and their reputation is quite good as well.

Ideal distance from home, uhm...anywhere in Europe is good, just not too close to home so my parents can't pop round unexpectedly, haha.

ReputationRep:
    Eeny Meeny Miny Mo

I THOUGHT THATS WHAT WE ALL DID!!

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.