Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anyone else sick of meaningless encounters?

I've not had a real relationship, except one which lasted less than a month since way back in the last year of school. It's not as if I have trouble meeting women, but nothing goes further than meaningless one night stands and little more. There has been times when it seemed things might work out, but the circumstances have been against it(I've been travelling alot over the last couple of years, trying to make a relationship work when you meet overseas and live on different continents is just impossible).

Alot of my mates have found girlfriends/boyfriends. Some seem happy, but in other cases it seems like they are together for the sake of it and get treated/treat their partners like crap. But I'm just finding that waking up next to someone you hardly know and not remembering their names particularly depressing. :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    You've kind of answered your own question. You've been travelling, which is not conductive to starting a new relationship. I'd imagine when you stick around in one place you'll find what you want. You might also find it if you date someone and get to know them, as opposed to sleeping with someone whose name you don't know :p:

ReputationRep:
    Meaningless relationship is meaningless. I sympathise.

ReputationRep:
    I prefer the third encounter.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i know what you mean. But being single does have its upsides too -

We're too young to worry about it, when you're 50 and married (or not) you'll look back and long for days like these.

ReputationRep:
    Any relationship that inevitably ends is meaningless, regardless of the circumstances, the duration and the events involved.

ReputationRep:
    Most relationships are meaningless. People get fooled by what friends tell them or facebook.

ReputationRep:
    dont get to hung up about it. a lot of people are just after fun while they are young. we have the rest of our lives to be in "meaningful" relationships.
    If you are home now from travelling you may have more luck in making things last.

Mmm thanks for the replies.

For the record, I'm usually away 4-5 months a year - so it's not as if I don't have the opportunity to have a relationship, it just so happens I've met the most interesting women when I've been abroad. But like I said, everyone has different plans and it makes things difficult. Also, it's not always the case of waking up and not remembering her name, but it's happened and it's awful.

So the advice is enjoy it while you young?
    I cant help but get the feeling I'm missing out on something.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 2, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.