Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My friends went to uni last September and bought all the stuff on the 'what to bring to uni' lists. we were talking the other day and two of them pointed out that there was no point in buying pots and pans because at some point you will end up throwing loads away and sharing one set.

Is there any point in buying all that stuff knowing that it's likely to go to waste? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    ask the uni
    buy some essential things
    and then buy anything else you need (such as pots and pans) there.

simple. hopefully
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    No.

Borrow stuff that other people you know don't use.

I got a free set of cutlery, a toaster, a couple of pans, a frying pan, a grill thing... loads. Just by putting out some feelers to friends and family.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone will forget to bring a cheese grater. Bring a cheese grater. What's pasta without grated cheese? And a wedge/doorstop thing, because when people you're moving in, it's easier if your door is open, and also you'll get to know people.

ReputationRep:
    i might ask my nan if she's got anything she doesn't want, but i was plan to take most of the stuff from my kitchen, i.e pizza slicer, cheese grater, tea towels, glasses (obviosuly without my mother knowing)

ReputationRep:
    Condoms

ReputationRep:
    A sieve. That's probably the one thing we didn't have an abundance of in our kitchen in my first year. And I would recommend taking your own pans, because when you first move in you won't know anybody, so it might be a bit awkward if the first thing you ask people is if you can use all their stuff!

ReputationRep:
    You don't need a grater - just buy grated cheese. I've also been told by mum not to buy a sieve or colander - there's no reason why I would really need one. (she only uses it for flour when baking)

ReputationRep:
    yeah i think everyone will end up with lots of the same thing. It's just the first couple of weeks when everyone doesn't know each other that well, i would feel a bit awkward asking to borrow at first!

And how will your mum not know your taking all her stuff from home? Surely she will see it's gone!

ReputationRep:
    Instead of getting a huge set of pots and pans, I'm getting one of those 3 tier pans with the glass lid, a frying pan and a small saucepan. The TSR list is extensive, so I don't think you need everything on there. I'm aaving on some stuff e.g. Pizza slicer, use a knife?

ReputationRep:
    Its good to bring your own things and keep them locked in your room though for safe keeping. You never know who you are going to share a hall with. Some people have bad hygiene and its good to have your own stuff should you ever need it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Titch89)
    You don't need a grater - just buy grated cheese. I've also been told by mum not to buy a sieve or colander - there's no reason why I would really need one. (she only uses it for flour when baking)
    How will you drain pasta? :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexa123)
    yeah i think everyone will end up with lots of the same thing. It's just the first couple of weeks when everyone doesn't know each other that well, i would feel a bit awkward asking to borrow at first!

And how will your mum not know your taking all her stuff from home? Surely she will see it's gone!
    lol
    of course, but by the time she realises, i will be gone

ReputationRep:
    Duct tape.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0obrighteyeso0)
    How will you drain pasta? :eek3:
    With the lid of the pan?

ReputationRep:
    bottle and tin opener shouldn't be forgotten

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Titch89)
    Grated cheese just doesn't taste the same.

Can you drain using saucepan lids? If not I'd advise investing in a colander :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AllAboutMe)
    Can you drain using saucepan lids? If not I'd advise investing in a colander :yes:
    Yes. Or a plate/saucer works.

ReputationRep:
    You can get really cheap kitchen equipment from Wilkinsons if you happen to forget anything.

Remember TOWELS. I forgot to pack towels cos obviously on holiday they're usually provided, so on the first night I was like...crap. Had to use my towel-esque dressing gown instead.

Air freshener and Febreze will be your new best friends, with all the takeaways and pizza you'll be having in your room...

Bring a dirty washing basket, essential. Preferably with compartments so you can do your colours/whites/darks seperately.

Bring as many pound coins as you can, they are so useful...for washing machines, bus fares etc.

Buy pins, so you can pin photos and leaflets and things to your corkboard (most uni rooms have a one on the wall).

I'll add more to this if I think of anything else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airel)
    Duct tape.

why on earth would you need duct tape?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Universal Student Living

Universal Student Living

“All-inclusive student accommodation in prime locations across the UK.”

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.