Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Titch89)
    You don't need a grater - just buy grated cheese. I've also been told by mum not to buy a sieve or colander - there's no reason why I would really need one. (she only uses it for flour when baking)
    No Non-grated cheese is cheaper. Buy a cheese grater. But not from 99p store. It will crumble in your hands.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Est.1989)
    My friends went to uni last September and bought all the stuff on the 'what to bring to uni' lists. we were talking the other day and two of them pointed out that there was no point in buying pots and pans because at some point you will end up throwing loads away and sharing one set.

Is there any point in buying all that stuff knowing that it's likely to go to waste? :confused:
    as little as possible, honestly.

did you hear me? as little as possible.

your room will be small and random junk will accumulate and at the end of your first year you will be like: how the hell do i take this all home??

as little as possible.

ReputationRep:
    Bring a lighter.
    Useful things they are.

ReputationRep:
    laptop definately.....

2pacs outlaw napolean talks about his lyfe with and after 2pac

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqIeX...layer_embedded

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by starvla246)
    With the lid of the pan?
    :yep:

ReputationRep:
    My friends went to uni last September and bought all the stuff on the 'what to bring to uni' lists. we were talking the other day and two of them pointed out that there was no point in buying pots and pans because at some point you will end up throwing loads away and sharing one set.

Is there any point in buying all that stuff knowing that it's likely to go to waste? :confused:
    Having seen the state that the meffs my sisters are flatmates with think it's acceptable to leave a kitchen, I won't be sharing any of my pots and pans lol. The pans were about two days from growing legs and walking away. Gross. I don't fancy getting whatever disease they had...

I know what you mean though, that list does have some dead random stuff on it that you'd never use like an apple corer etc... :/

ReputationRep:

why on earth would you need duct tape?
    I had to tape together my chair.

Seriously OP, it will be useful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ice_Queen)
    No.

Borrow stuff that other people you know don't use.

I got a free set of cutlery, a toaster, a couple of pans, a frying pan, a grill thing... loads. Just by putting out some feelers to friends and family.
    Advice: don't everyone do this. Could mean a pretty sucky first night dinner.

ReputationRep:
    I would definitely recommend bringing at least two different sizes of saucepan, and a frying pan. If you rely on borrowing other people's stuff all the time you will run the risk of pissing people off and coming across like a scrounger. Hardly the best first impression you could give. Also, if everyone happens to be using their kitchen stuff at the same time, you'll be stuck.

ReputationRep:
    Do we get like a cupboard each, or something? How does it work?

ReputationRep:
    A laptop.

A notepad.

Instant coffee.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oh_adele)
    Do we get like a cupboard each, or something? How does it work?
    You will have a number of cupboards. It's something that you have to work out with your flatmates. It is usually on a first-come basis and does not make a difference since they are all of the same size usually.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airel)
    I had to tape together my chair.

Seriously OP, it will be useful.
    lol, ill take your word or it.... why didnt you just ask for a new chair
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by cabbaman98)
    Advice: don't everyone do this. Could mean a pretty sucky first night dinner.
    Why would that be? If you get stuff for free from family, then anything you might definitely actually certainly need you buy, you'll be fine.

I just don't suggest spending a fortune on stuff you won't use.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ice_Queen)
    Why would that be? If you get stuff for free from family, then anything you might definitely actually certainly need you buy, you'll be fine.

I just don't suggest spending a fortune on stuff you won't use.
    Somehow I managed to skip the bit about friends and family and thought you meant borrow stuff of other people in your flat.

Sorry, I'll read properly next time

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Universal Student Living

Universal Student Living

“All-inclusive student accommodation in prime locations across the UK.”

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.