Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it possible to get a high grade A in AS Maths - M1 (edexcel) without Physics AS? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I think I'm gonna take M1 instead of S1 for my 3rd unit of AS level maths from edexcel exam board because S1 seems longer (slightly more content) and slightly more complicated in my opinion (anyone else agree?)

However, I am not taking AS or A2 in physics but have done GCSE physics (OCR modules 1 to 6).

Would I still be able to understand the concepts fully of M1 and get a very high grade A (90%+) in the exam with just as much effort was a person taking AS level in physics? I know every person is different and that but I basically mean would I be needing more effort for M1 to get as high as I would have if I was taking AS level physics?

Also, it would be great to hear from those who have taken both M1 and S1 (maybe if they took M1 in AS year and S1 in A2 year or something?)
    - like comparisons, recommendations on which is easier to understand or has easier questions on the exam generally or which has less work load?

Thanks

EDIT:// Thanks so much everyone for all the responses I'm glad to know AS physics isn't necessary for M1. I am also wondering now whether S1 or M1 is more based on the books, etc. Like some exam papers are based on more natural talent rather than learning it. E.g. for example applying the knowledge more. I want to choose from M1 or S1 the one that where if you work hard and learn everything you'll easily get a high A whereas some exams, you can work as hard as u want but the exam is more general or dependant on your application of what you learn a lot..

Hope that makes sense :P
    Thanks x

ReputationRep:
    Of course you don't need AS physics to do M1 - physics only overlaps a little bit and you'll go into much more depth in M1, even though it is only M1.

You'll be able to get 100%, not just a high A! Don't worry, just you need to be aware that it won't all be easy. I haven't done any statistics units (yet) so I can't comment there, but different people find either stats or mechanics easier, it depends on your mind and how you tackle maths naturally.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely!

It's a different kind of physics from physics a-level (if that makes any sense at all?!)

Last year, the people at my school who got the best M1 marks didn't do physics

ReputationRep:
    Edit - I did M1 this year and S1 for AS.

I looved S1 (just look in the formula book and plug in the numbers! amazing!) but then again I think my brain's logic is kind of wired for stats. Physics/engineeringy things/any kind of DT type puzzles have always been my nemesis so I've hated M1, but by the end of the course I think I understand how to answer the questions, if not always why that answer makes sense!

ReputationRep:
    Yes. It shouldn't be a problem. M1 is very simple and easy (even though I cocked the exam up on the day 85/100 :P)

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely. The M1 content is harder, I believe, than the mechanics in Physics. Not a problem at all.

ReputationRep:
    M1 is ******* hell.
    ^^just my opinion though.
    (don't do itttt!!!!)

ReputationRep:
    Of course you can. I did it with only gcse physics (tho add maths prob helped a bit too)

ReputationRep:
    yehhh, i do physics and it won't help you with maths but the maths will help you with physics. if that makes sense.

ReputationRep:
    They're both reasonable straightforward.

ReputationRep:
    i done s1 at as and m1 at a2 and didnt reely like either
    s1 i got a 78% and i can tell you my m1 mark in 18 days (i got 81 in c1, 74 in c2 and first attempt at c3 was 65)
    i didnt particularly like either, mechanics is very straightforward however i struggled to get my head around what to do once id drawn my diagram (people who done m1 will understand what i mean by gettin sin and cos the wrong way round, resolvgin the wrong way or putting forces in wrong directions etc.) and s1 was very tedious however didnt find it that difficult but would prefer doing it

ReputationRep:
    Yes it is possible.
    But the past like 3 M1 papers have been a ***** and it doesn't seem like they want to make it any easier.
    Though I guess that can be a good thing if you're kinda good at it because it means low grade boundaries.
    You can get like 70 raw marks and still have like 90UMS.

I didn't do Physics but still got an A in M1. I think that M1 has a very good textbook in that it explains everything you need to know without assuming that you have done or are taking Physics. At first the content can be daunting and I found it very hard to get into it at 1st. Most of my Further Maths class were taking Physics so it seemed like I was part of a select few who were slipping behind. But once you really get into the module everything will click. After a while everything really does start to make sense and it really is do-able.

I did both M1 and S1. S1 looks like a bigger module but I would say that it's content is quite easy and doesn't get too complicated. Mostly if you follow the theory and do a lot of questions then you should be fine for getting a good mark. A lot of the questions have very similar structures so sometimes you find that you can just apply the same written method and layout to lots of questions to get the answers. In my opinion M1 is slightly more difficult that S1. I guess that this would vary a lot from student to student' I know that some students at my old school found M1 easy but S1 harder.

ReputationRep:
    Of course. Mechanics is more focused on teaching the maths itself, so you should be fine, although if it is necessary im sure the teacher will be able to teach you the physics of it as well. You should have no problem.

Oh and I find that whether you like M1 or S1 is definetely down to the way you think. Youre probably a Stats person if you are happy just putting stuff into a formula.

Me however, I like to see how it works. Thats why I found S1 a living hell. The PMCC itself was easy to memorise and use, but it was so difficult because i didnt know where it was derived from, i coundnt be sure if it was right or not. With M1 i go go through with basic principle and guesstimate if it was right or not, and i couldnt with S1. I f*cking hated Stats. Probablity was a nightmare as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaz_jaz)
    M1 is ******* hell.
    ^^just my opinion though.
    (don't do itttt!!!!)
    Seconded, thirded...

Sorry, I just can't not tell you how bad M1 is!

The new chief examiner for that module has decided to make it insanely, ridiculously hard - you can see the difference in standard between the January 07 paper and the January 09 paper for yourself on the edexcel website.

Edexcel are going to ruin my 20th August!! :eek:

(Original post by angelmxxx)
    Seconded, thirded...

The new chief examiner for that module has decided to make it insanely, ridiculously hard - you can see the difference in standard between the January 07 paper and the January 09 paper for yourself on the edexcel website.

:shock: Has it changed that much? I did the old syllabus so maybe my exams were easier then :unsure:

ReputationRep:
    yes. If anything physics benefit from M1 as there's way more maths in M1 than physics (probably obvious though :p: ) I personally disliked all M modules so I had to work extra hard but it's doable.

ReputationRep:
    Best way to put it. I did Physics and got 99 on M1

My friend hates Physics and doesn't do it. He got 100 on M1

It may help a bit but it really doesn't make a difference if you do it or not. In fact when it got to M2 and M3 doing physics almost put me at a isadvantage because you learn very simmilar things in very different ways.

You'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if the sylabus has changed scince Jan 09, but I got a very high A in M1 and dropped AS physics after two lessons watching the hands turn on the clock!
    I didn't even revise outside of lessons for M1... S1 was harder (I did both), but still not bad...
    Do whichever you enjoy doing more and comes naturally... don't worry about how much physics you have or haven't done as it is fairly irrelevant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelmxxx)
    Seconded, thirded...

:yes: thanks for rep
    its the only topic i've ever just given up on! I actually just bunked the lessons after a while.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.