Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

is subway popular because people think it's healthier than KFC or McDonalds? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Subway has a much healthier image, but looking at the McDonald's and Subway websites there is 1 calorie difference in a Big Mac and a 6" Chicken & Bacon sub...

ReputationRep:
    Teenagers between 12 and 16 tend to go there because they think it's healthy because it isn't chips or burgers. With all the processed chicken breast, bacon and ribs they use as well as the high carb bread it's nearly as bad as McDonalds. I don't rate Subway very much in terms of value for money but there's one opening in my village soon. Get in.

ReputationRep:
    I just prefer the taste of subway compared to macdonalds or kfc tbh. Surely the healthiness of the said subway depends on the filling? My order of preferance concerning the 3 food outlets is;
    1) Subway (my fav)
    2) KFC (I like the chicken wrap things)
    3) Macdonalds (don't really like this...and the staff at the one in belfast victoria square I was in last were so rude...)

ReputationRep:
    youll actually find, subway, ironically is more unheathy than mac donalds or KFC, but i will leave you gorgous people to understand why

ReputationRep:
    In my mind it's because they are less fast-food like, but not necessarily because people think they are healthier.. A sub for lunch is just like a larger than usual sandwich, which I reckon people are happier with than a burger and fries...

ReputationRep:
    Subway tastes better, fills you up more.

And after a McDonalds I always feel terrible. No idea why, just feel tired even if i have been doing nothing.

ReputationRep:
    Of course it's not healthy! But it's the best morning-after-munchies cure I've ever come across, so to this date I remain faithful to the power of the sub

ReputationRep:
    tastier? i would rather eat a big mac tbh

but yea, a big factor for their success is that they advertise that their food is "healthy" or "fresh"

ReputationRep:
    It depends what you have. I have bread, no cheese, chicken, lots of veg, so for me it's healthy.

ReputationRep:
    If I ever need to get something on the go I'll generally grab a subway and make sure it's as healthy as possible. I don't like packaged sandwiches from shops because they usually have all sorts of manky gubbins in so I generally just get a veggie delite from subway. Wheat bread with loads of olives, sweetcorn, lettuce, red onion, peppers and grated carrot. No cheese, no mayo, no cookies. I wouldn't say that is a bad lunch really, other than the fact it's probably a bit too much bread... Nyom nyom nyom

ReputationRep:
    I have never ever been to Subway, but wouldn't rule it out.
    I understand, however, that the Subway bread rolls themselves contain rather a lot of salt. So before you even add anything, things probably aren't looking too good.
    Plus, to me, it always just seems really expensive, which is often what puts me off going in. Also, living near Paris and working in the city means that I'm usually surrounded by good, independent, cheaper boulangeries anyway who use nicer ingredients in their sandwiches, so why would I want to go to Subway?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rajandkwameali)
    Subway tastes good, but is it popular since people think it's healthier?

But is it really healthier? I mean, a foot-long with bacon, ham, and with plenty of mayonnaise is healthy?
    I would choose subway over Donalds/KFC just because it's not covered in grease/fried etc. Plus I LOVE salad, and having the optionto have exactly what I want on it.

One of my friends was unhealthily skinny at one point and was ordered to eat more fat because she basically had none. She was told to avoid subway because there's typically a lot less calories/fat in a meal from subway than a meal from McD's for example.

True story and I do think subway contains less calories in general, it's not usually fried food for a start, and in all fairness, whoever orders a footlong from subway probably orders more than one burger from McD's.

ReputationRep:
    The possibility of 'Salad?'luls you into a false sense of security and begin to believe that is vaguely good for you. However, if you ignore the riduculously high salt content, The meatball (Marina?) on Tuesdays is Lovely :drool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shorty.loves.angels)
    One of my friends was unhealthily skinny at one point and was ordered to eat more fat because she basically had none. She was told to avoid subway because there's typically a lot less calories/fat in a meal from subway than a meal from McD's for example.

True story and I do think subway contains less calories in general, it's not usually fried food for a start, and in all fairness, whoever orders a footlong from subway probably orders more than one burger from McD's.
    I can't imagine any doctor telling someone who was too thin to load up on any junk food, as they're all loaded with unhealthy saturated fat .

I think Subways probably are healthier than McDs - the healthiest McD meal compared with the healthiest Subway Meal seems to be no contest. People have mentioned salt content, but IIRC the workers at McDs simply pour the stuff onto the chips. And burger buns are very unlikely to contain less salt than a wholewheat piece of bread. Just my two cents - my vote stays with Subway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Katie*)
    I can't imagine any doctor telling someone who was too thin to load up on any junk food, as they're all loaded with unhealthy saturated fat .

I think Subways probably are healthier than McDs - the healthiest McD meal compared with the healthiest Subway Meal seems to be no contest. People have mentioned salt content, but IIRC the workers at McDs simply pour the stuff onto the chips. And burger buns are very unlikely to contain less salt than a wholewheat piece of bread. Just my two cents - my vote stays with Subway.
    I don't think it was really how I made it sound... but she really did desperately need to gain a little fat fairly quickly. She was put on a high calorie guideline diet to follow for a short period of time... nothing long term.

I agree with your post too, sounds sensible to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pinklemonade-xo)
    The possibility of 'Salad?'luls you into a false sense of security and begin to believe that is vaguely good for you. However, if you ignore the riduculously high salt content, The meatball (Marina?) on Tuesdays is Lovely :drool:
    Marinara? I'm full from eating at Frankie and Bennys but mmm :coma:

ReputationRep:
    I prefer Subway. At least with the baguette I know I'm eating real bread, unlike the plastic ones at McDonald's.

(Original post by rajandkwameali)
    Subway tastes good, but is it popular since people think it's healthier?

But is it really healthier? I mean, a foot-long with bacon, ham, and with plenty of mayonnaise is healthy?
    It's the way the stuff it's made of is cooked. It's not deep-fried or grilled in year-old lard.

But it probably is popular because it tastes good.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.