Yes
    31.69%
    Maybe
    36.61%
    No
    31.69%

ReputationRep:
    100 quid? :eek:

Is your now husband really cheap or did you plan it this way? I thought that girls always dream of the "perfect and big wedding". :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psycho0101)
    100 quid? :eek:

Is your now husband really cheap or did you plan it this way? I thought that girls always dream of the "perfect and big wedding". :p:
    We don't see the reason to spendthousands of pounds on one day, and to us what makes it special is the fact that you're committing to each other, and the actual ceremony itself. In our minds it's just silly to have all the other frills. Plus it puts a lot of strain on the marriage then, as the couple have very poor finances. We'd rather save our money for married life,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrincessAriadne)
    We don't see the reason to spendthousands of pounds on one day, and to us what makes it special is the fact that you're committing to each other, and the actual ceremony itself. In our minds it's just silly to have all the other frills. Plus it puts a lot of strain on the marriage then, as the couple have very poor finances. We'd rather save our money for married life,
    Oh, I see. Good luck with your married life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psycho0101)
    Oh, I see. Good luck with your married life.
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    i'm engaged to mine so the outlook looks good!

ReputationRep:
    I doubt it, we're both still young but who knows.

ReputationRep:
    Yes!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, im engaged to her

ReputationRep:
    I've met her 3 times....

bit early to say!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mts786)
    lol i dont find that creepy
    me and my gf have been picking out furniture and things for a flat.
    total price for everything came up to about 20grand lol
    3 weeks into the relationship?

ReputationRep:
    Have only had 1 gf in the past who I actually thought i'd maybe marry. Things didnt work out though, unfortunatly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by New...Romantic)
    All you're going to get is a load of infatuated schoolkids/teenagers coming on going 'ooooh yeah we're so in love'.

That, or a bunch of bitter single people saying how stupid the aforementioned teenagers are.

^ This

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom_pinnock54)
    Yup, in 19 days.
    Aww congratulations =)

ReputationRep:
    I can't say for certain.

ReputationRep:

Did your wedding cost 15k?
    You say that like its a ridiculous amount, you do realise that the average people pay for a wedding in the UK is around £16,000 (info from a study in 2005).

I would pay £20,000 for a wedding tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Did your wedding cost 15k?

Roughly that, I think it was closer to £12k, but if you include the honeymoon then £15k is pretty accurate.

IIRC the average cost of a wedding in the UK is now in the region of £10-15k, or at least it was pre-recession. I know that I've almost certainly been to weddings that have cost a damn sight more than that, but equally I've also been to weddings that have literally been: "Town Hall on a Wednesday afternoon, then off to the pub opposite for a pint, then the 'reception' is at the pub that the bride works in PT the following Sunday'".

They've been divorced now for, what it must be three years now... Saying that they did get married very young and very soon. I think that he must have only been twenty-one at the time, and she was maybe 22, 23 at most. They'd only been going out for three months when he proposed, needless to say I thought it was a mistake at the time, but being a good friend I have so far managed to resist the 'I told you so' moment...

So actually if there's one thing I will say about marriage, it is make sure that you live with the person you are planning on getting hitched to for at least three years before you even get engaged, certainly not three months, and getting engaged as a teenager is, well IMNSHO pretty damn stupid and shows a complete lack of maturity more than anything else... Needless to say that when I was in my late teens, early 20's I knew plenty of idiots getting engaged every second week once they'd been seeing each other for more than a month. None of them lasted to my knowledge, indeed at least one or two turned out to be lesbians or gay in the end anyway... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stomm)
    Marriage is far from meaningless, apart from anything else it literally means that you own half of each other, or in more literal terms half of your total combined assets. This apparently is one of the things that tends to put men off marriage, that and the fact that it costs as much as a pretty decent car... Although having gutted, extended, rewire, replumbed, replastered and generally rebuilt the inside of our house, I tend to see £15k as the cost of the further extension that we couldn't quite afford, or a decent kitchen...
    I have no idea what you're rambling about kitchens for.

But I will say this:

There are no married couples out there whose relationship and dedication to their partner has any more value than my relationship and dedication to my partner simply because they have a contract which formalises their relationship.

I don't care for the financial considerations, nor the religious considerations, not the 'ohhh, it's such a big commitment' considerations. None of this enters in to it for me. The only thing that enters into it is that it is essentially meaningless in that it does nothing to validate, increase, or strengthen our relationship. It's merely an unnecessary milestone of popular culture, and a tactic for avoiding inheritance tax. And if statistics are anything to go by, my girlfriend and I will damage our chances of being together for the rest of our lives if we make such a mistake as to get married.

ReputationRep:
    We do talk about it but I don't really want to get married to anyone, he has changed my mind a bit but it's a big thing and if he asked me I don't want to get married for a long long time.

ReputationRep:
    Ours is costing quite a bit.

At a guess I'd say between £15,000 & £20,000.

ReputationRep:
    iv voted for maybe - i hope to marry him 1 day but anything could happen!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 10, 2009
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.