Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I dont know if I'm posting in the right place so sorry if its wrong!

I was originally thinking of going into health care either nursing/dietetics or something like teaching so got work experience for a week in a hospital on the wards and a week in a primary school.
    But since then I've decided that I didn't really enjoy either and that what I want to do in Uni is something scientific, either Biology, Environmental Science or Biomedical Science. Because of this I haven't had any work experience in anything to do with any of these subjects, so haven't got anything to put down in my personal statement.
    I know nursing normally requires work experience/voluntary work to get in but do courses like Science require this? Will I have a problem when applying?

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying for engineering, so I'm no expert, but I don't think you need or are expected to have any work experience for science degrees, unlike something like medicine. I can't see where your going to be able get any science-related work experience anyway. So basically don't worry, I would think your current work experience would more than suffice.

The main aim of work experience, as far as I can tell, is to ensure that you understand what a job in your chosen field entails before you pursue a degree. But science degrees aren't like engineering or medicine and don't prepare for you for a specific job. I've actually read on one university's website that they have no interest in preparing science graduates for a particular type of employment and are only interested in teaching the subject to those interested. Plus, presumably you've done science since secondary school and so have plenty of exposure to it already and know whether you like it or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperNinja09)
    I'm applying for engineering, so I'm no expert, but I don't think you need or are expected to have any work experience for science degrees, unlike something like medicine. I can't see where your going to be able get any science-related work experience anyway. So basically don't worry, I would think your current work experience would more than suffice.

The main aim of work experience, as far as I can tell, is to ensure that you understand what a job in your chosen field entails before you pursue a degree. But science degrees aren't like engineering or medicine and don't prepare for you for a specific job. I've actually read on one university's website that they have no interest in preparing science graduates for a particular type of employment and are only interested in teaching the subject to those interested. Plus, presumably you've done science since secondary school and so have plenty of exposure to it already and know whether you like it or not.
    Thankyou, I know its mainly vocational jobs like Nursing or Speech Therapy that require work experience isnt it? Just thought it might make me look a bit better when I apply lol.

ReputationRep:
    I applied for Law at uni with no related work experience (mine was at a nursery) and still got accepted in four out of my five choices so you should be fine

ReputationRep:
    Maybe talk about science mags/webistes you regularly read, just to show your interest (Make it up if you must). What particularly interested you in A Level Biology (just an example) and what did you do to find out more about it?

Arrange a visit to a lab. You may not want to work in one when you graduate but depending on the course you'll probably be in labs once or twice a week so that might be quite a useful thing to put down. When I applied to biomed, I also talked about all the volunteer work I used to do for charities and stuff just to show my other dimensions outside of science.

So I'm sure if you really put your mind to it you can come up with a decent PS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BabyGirl92)
    I dont know if I'm posting in the right place so sorry if its wrong!

I was originally thinking of going into health care either nursing/dietetics or something like teaching so got work experience for a week in a hospital on the wards and a week in a primary school.
    But since then I've decided that I didn't really enjoy either and that what I want to do in Uni is something scientific, either Biology, Environmental Science or Biomedical Science. Because of this I haven't had any work experience in anything to do with any of these subjects, so haven't got anything to put down in my personal statement.
    I know nursing normally requires work experience/voluntary work to get in but do courses like Science require this? Will I have a problem when applying?
    Not needed unless stated on UCAS. Helps though. Try the council for work experience in Environmental Science... no idea for others though.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.