Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does losing your virginity really mean losing your innocence? Watch

ReputationRep:
    basically the title lol. losing your virginity seems to be this big defining moment when u change forever..but surely its only one aspect of who you are, isnt it?

ReputationRep:
    Nope. It means f all. God I hate how much importance is put on it!?

ReputationRep:
    No, it doesn't. I know some pretty naive/innocent non-virgins, esp. with girls.

ReputationRep:
    lol so where u think this big myth comes from then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sprockette)
    F**k sake I agree!
    As if innocence was a desirable characteristic anyway, naivety is ignorance!

ReputationRep:
    not at all

ReputationRep:
    not really

It is independent of innocence or lack of thereof

It is that sometimes they both coincide - or beter still loss of virginity coincides with beginning of loss of innocence

loss of innocence happens over some time - could be a while - might not be

ReputationRep:
    Nah, that's a rumour spread by the internetz :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    No you lose your innocence when you start masturbating and have used every swear word under the sun.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really think the two relate to each other in the way you're meaning to be honest...

ReputationRep:
    No. I really don't know what you mean with innocence - as if you're an ignorant little girl right up until you've slept with someone. What do you become then? Impure?

ReputationRep:
    Yes the moment the hymen breaks the girl descends from Snow White to a shrewd person who has seen the horrors of the world.

There's no real reason why it would unless it was by something like rape. And even then it's not the loss of virginity that does it.

How many people are inocent when they lose their virginity anyway?

ReputationRep:
    haha the comments im gettin on this is exactly what i mean lol. just since i did it its like im sposed to feel this weird guilt n be separate from my virgin friends n there's no turning back. i just wonder why ppl are made to feel like this when its totally natural etc. i think for me its partly for religious reasons lol but in general it does seem like ppl assume ur a diff person from the moment you have sex. im loving the sarcasm btw this is exactly the way ppl should see this idea

ReputationRep:
    Depends how many charges you accumulate in performing the act.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with most of the people who posted above me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sprockette)

This = my words exactly!

It means nothing! What is "innocence" anyway? And losing virginity is just having sexual intercourse. A totally natural thing. Yet there is still so much gratuitous and pointless modesty thrown around about losing virginity and sex in general.

And about the whole "I'm proud to be a virgin" thing too... being a virgin or not a virgin is nothing to be proud of.

What you could legitimately be proud of is if either you lost your virginity and you don't regret it, or if you said no to someone when you knew you would regret it. Then I would be proud.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Siobherz)
    haha the comments im gettin on this is exactly what i mean lol. just since i did it its like im sposed to feel this weird guilt n be separate from my virgin friends n there's no turning back. i just wonder why ppl are made to feel like this when its totally natural etc. i think for me its partly for religious reasons lol but in general it does seem like ppl assume ur a diff person from the moment you have sex. im loving the sarcasm btw this is exactly the way ppl should see this idea
    F them, you do what you want, when you're ready. I don't see what your sex life has got to do with them, anyway?

Also, I'd describe someone as "innocent" if they were child-like or naive in their understanding of certain topics. If you're thinking about sex, you're no longer innocent. But that's not a bad thing. I kinda get the feeling that when people refer to innocence in relation to virgins, they have some strange idea that having sex means you've "sinned" in some way, or done a bad thing. It's more a sense of losing your "child-like innocence", becoming an adult e.g. thinking about/having sex. Never heard children being referred to as innocents?

ReputationRep:
    Even the phrase "losing your virginity" is retarded...you don;t lose anything...you just have sex for the first time, its a man-made concept.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 3, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.