Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Advice needed on how i'm going to live on this amount? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hana_87)
    Yeah i work part time in a golf club now which i guess i could keep for a while but that'll mean working 6/7 days a week, i'll have no social life and will literally be permanently shattered - not good. xx
    bo socila life means yo're not spending :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    I went to Kingston... I think we've had this conversation, lol.

Can't you find anything at the moment then?
    We probably have lol, what course did you study again?
    Finding it very difficult to find anything, even though I came out with a 1st it's the financial experience that I'm lacking which is holding me back. It's horrible and I would so love to get a job right now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gracie88)
    We probably have lol, what course did you study again?
    Finding it very difficult to find anything, even though I came out with a 1st it's the financial experience that I'm lacking which is holding me back. It's horrible and I would so love to get a job right now.

Why arn't you looking for something, anything to just tide you over for a bit which isn't to do with your degree?

ReputationRep:
    If you are serious about your career as a teacher having to live on a strict budget shouldn't be an issue, especially as it is only for a year.

Currently I work full time and have done for 3 years, currently earning £30+k pa and have decided to leave this to start university in september and live on little under £80 a week after paying accomodation.

The reason I give you my example is because if you want this as much as you say, it wont be a problem no matter how much of a lifestyle change it will be, like me, my lifestyle is going to change drastically from being able to buy anything I want, go out a few nights a week and not worry about blowing £100.
    Its a years struggle for a career and lifestyle you will enjoy in the future.

ReputationRep:
    Why arn't you looking for something, anything to just tide you over for a bit which isn't to do with your degree?
    I am as well but there's not a lot where I live. I don't live in Kingston anymore.

ReputationRep:
    I got a teacher assistant job starting this september. i'm in my second year of university and the pay is £40 a day. so £12,000 salary is pretty decent for someone with no teaching qualifications/ experience.

where is the placement? london?
    my friend is a teaching assistant in a primary school in east london. she used to get paid £18,000 the last time, but thats only because she was doing nvq's.

because of how the tax year is run, you will pretty much get £12,000 in the full amount if your tax code is 647L and you haven't earn any wages since april.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yeahyeahyeahs)
    because of how the tax year is run, you will pretty much get £12,000 in the full amount if your tax code is 647L and you haven't earn any wages since april.

How do i know if my tax code is that?

And i have earnt wages since that as i have a job at the moment. Although i haven't earnt a lot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by turn_the_page_day_by_day)
    If you are serious about your career as a teacher having to live on a strict budget shouldn't be an issue, especially as it is only for a year.

Currently I work full time and have done for 3 years, currently earning £30+k pa and have decided to leave this to start university in september and live on little under £80 a week after paying accomodation.

The reason I give you my example is because if you want this as much as you say, it wont be a problem no matter how much of a lifestyle change it will be, like me, my lifestyle is going to change drastically from being able to buy anything I want, go out a few nights a week and not worry about blowing £100.
    Its a years struggle for a career and lifestyle you will enjoy in the future.
    Yeah i know i'm just slightly worried, thats all. As i said the real shame is the amount of rent i'm paying really but that's the only way i can do it as where my parents live in Kent there are so teaching assistant jobs at all.

Without a teaching job like this i very much doubt i'd get on the PGCE as my degree is nothing to do with education.

ReputationRep:
    How do i know if my tax code is that?

And i have earnt wages since that as i have a job at the moment. Although i haven't earnt a lot.

the code should be on your pay slip.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yeahyeahyeahs)
    the code should be on your pay slip.

Ok well i'll look when i get in. Will that affect the amount of tax i pay for this job, then?

ReputationRep:
    Ok well i'll look when i get in. Will that affect the amount of tax i pay for this job, then?
    Yes. If your tax code is BR (?) then you have no personal allowance.

ReputationRep:
    Why cant you commute?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fungirl1234)
    Why cant you commute?

huh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Titch89)
    Yes. If your tax code is BR (?) then you have no personal allowance.

I was looking this morning, ironically and i don't think it's BR.

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I recently graduated from University but am taking a year old before hopefully taking a primary PGCE next September.

I studied a degree with no relevance to teaching so i understand to get on to my course it's important i get as much experience in a classroom as possible.

I've been offered a full time classroom assistant position starting in September, however it's 9-5 and the salary is £12 000 PA. This is really really low as i'm aware - it'll only leave me with about £850 a month after tax, taking away rent and bills it'll probably only leave me with about £250 disposable income a month.

This isn't a lot and i don't know if i should actually take this job as i'm so scared i can hold out for a better paid teaching assistant job - i'm so confused. After Uni i always imagined myself earning more than this!

Help

the economy is crap and uve been offered a job thats not mcdonalds

if i were you id take it
    you can always look later or take up a better offer when and if one comes
    you cant not take it assuming that something better will come up. life doesnt work that way

yes your a graduate and yes the pay isnt great but like i said at least uve got an offer and there are tons of graduates that would happily take that offer if u dont

hey its alot better than living off the dole

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i work part time in a golf club now which i guess i could keep for a while but that'll mean working 6/7 days a week, i'll have no social life and will literally be permanently shattered - not good. xx

yes you wont have time for a social life but right now you cant afford a great social life so i dont see the difference a second job will make. earn more cause of the 2nd job and less time to spend....sounds good to me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i like tea)
    yes you wont have time for a social life but right now you cant afford a great social life so i dont see the difference a second job will make. earn more cause of the 2nd job and less time to spend....sounds good to me

Yeah i know, might be absolutely shattered but oh well

ReputationRep:
    Might not be possible, but cheaper rent? Any possible discount on income tax for low earners? Living in slightly lesser accomodation to have more time for yourself is a sacrifice I'd take. Why take so many extra part time shifts to pay for a flat you're never in, because you're too busy paying off rent?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yosrush)
    Might not be possible, but cheaper rent? Any possible discount on income tax for low earners? Living in slightly lesser accomodation to have more time for yourself is a sacrifice I'd take. Why take so many extra part time shifts to pay for a flat you're never in, because you're too busy paying off rent?!

Because it's the only way i can do it. I can't move home because there's no jobs there?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i know i'm just slightly worried, thats all. As i said the real shame is the amount of rent i'm paying really but that's the only way i can do it as where my parents live in Kent there are so teaching assistant jobs at all.

Without a teaching job like this i very much doubt i'd get on the PGCE as my degree is nothing to do with education.
    I'm worried to by having £270 less a week to live on, but both me and you will survive. People live on a lot less. Just go for it, however worried you might be. It wont be a regret because you will get on the PGCE and be very successful in the future as a result of this small sacrifice

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.